From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 7:25 PM
To: Tomx517@aol.com; sbbarrett@comcast.net
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1779- 517TH PRCT-MAY 2, 2009

Allan Johnson and I had a couple visits with Howard Hensleigh while in California. Howard is fine. Also talked with Merle McMorrow in Fargo yesterday.  The flood is over and he is moving stuff back to the ground floor.

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Click on                               National Reunion

                                             Salt Lake City

                                             July 9-13, 2009

Recent website additions:

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Pvt. Richard L. Lynam, H Company, KIA

Operation Dragoon After Action Reports

Mail Handling Procedure During the Invasion of Southern France

Photo from St. Cezaire

Bill Christian

I was remiss in not informing the West Coast attendees that our usual bartender Alex Sierra Co D was missing due to the death of his daughter Ann.  Sophie and I attended the church service and expressed our condolence on behave of the517th Paratroop Team.  Bill Christian

Bob Dalrymple

Ben , I will contact Lory directly , as requested . I will send Gene $10 right away (tomorrow) . Bless that sweetheart, Karen . What a caregiver ! Par excellence . And God Bless Bette .
 Frank Ramos has been seeking the original wording of a Presidential Unit  Citation Explanation below. I believe that Frank wanted this information confidential until we could get results. However, I believe that some member or a  widow might have a copy of this PUC. I have contacted Dick Seitz and others. It might make more sense to read info below from bottom up-Ben

Hi Ben,

The only 7th Armored Division PUC recommendation was for the defense of St. Vith in December 1944. The 517th was not attached to 7AD at that time. There is a full and an abbreviated version of the recommendation wording of a Presidential Citations for that award (submitted in 1947 but not awarded due to an administrative decision that no more divisional PUCs would be awarded; so CCB of 7AD was given the PUC), and complete transcriptions of those are on the 7AD Document Repository ( http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep ) in the December 1944 section. The long version does include a January 1945 photo of the 517th, which I am attaching to this note, but the photo was included only to show the location and conditions and not for anything to do with the 517th.

There are a number of documents in the January 1945 section of the 7AD Document Repository that mention Seitz and the 517th, but these do not have anything to do with a PUC.

    Wesley Johnston