From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 4:12 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1785 -517TH PRCT -MAY 11, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Click on                               National Reunion

                                             Salt Lake City

                                             July 9-13, 2009

Recent website additions:

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Pvt. Richard L. Lynam, H Company, KIA

Operation Dragoon After Action Reports

Mail Handling Procedure During the Invasion of Southern France

Darrell Egner

Dear Kathy ( Kathy Perkowski)

Just got your E-mail regarding the Grant Project yesterday.  (My AOL is a mess so please use my Comcast address bigdegner@comcast.net) I went to the Palm Springs Reunion and various places and have been on the road for almost a month.  Got home a week ago today and managed to pick up Walking Pneumonia on the trip.  The past week I spent getting X-Rays and seeing three Doctors.  I go back to the Doctors Tuesday and hopefully they will give me a free pass.

It seems the only thing I did right lately is to pick you as the Administrator of the Grant Program.  I can't thank you enough for all the work you have put into it.  I had no idea what a job it is applying for a Grant.  I have been in touch with Rob McDonald lately and the Movie Project is moving along very well.  He assured me we will be able to show it at our Banquet in Salt Lake City.  Before we proceed I am asking Rob to give us his opinion on where we stand and if we should in fact go for a Grant which would appear to be about a year or so from now.  As most of us Veterans are in our 80's that seems like a long time but perhaps not for our families.

Rob as I understand Kathy's E-mail the Grant money would applied to money spent to refine the Movie and not the money we have already spent or received in donations.

My next question is whether the Movie as it stands right now could be used on PBS or the History Channel or would it have to be changed to get them to show it?  If my memory is correct you have had some talks with PBS.  I know they have not seen the project but what is your guess as to it being of interest to them?

Kathy, Mary Jane's E-mail address is in the heading.  Before I answer your questions I will wait for Ron's reply.  Again I can't thank you enough for all your hard work.  I believe I read some where you are coming to SLC in July.  I can't wait to meet you.

Best Regards,

Darrell Egner
President 517 PRCT

Lory Curtis

Ben,

I have had a 517th, 10 oz light grey sweatshirt made up.  I think it looks great!  It has the 517th logo and the dates of the Salt Lake Reunion.  See the attached picture.  Please let our Salt Lake City Reunion guests know I can get these made for them if they want one.  They will need to send me $14 and I will have the sweatshirt for them when they arrive in Salt Lake City.   Of course in July in Salt Lake it will be too warm to wear them, but they sure will come in handy in the fall and winter.  The cost is for X Small thru X Large.  A slightly higher charge for larger sizes.  Please have those folks interested in one email me at lcurtis@utah.gov.
Thanks
Lory Curtis

Bill Goswick

Ben and Howard,

Jean-Loup was trying to identify the troopers kill in St. Cezaire. According to my father, my Uncle Jesse Goswick was one of the troopers and in the G Company photo he is in the second row fifth from the left. I have also located a news paper article where his Captain, Grant A. Hooper made a statement about him. I will scan it and send it to you. If anyone has photos or any stories about my uncle could they please send them to me, my family and I would appreciate them.

Tom McAvoy
Howard I cannot remember the name of the American Indian that jumped in the same plane as I into Southern France was injured and taken to the same village as I     I know with your great memory you can bring it right up? Tom McAvoy
                                    ***********
Could it have been Richard Sailor?Ben

Phil McSpadden
This is going to be long, but it is personal, and I hope you all  read it all the way.

Howard Huebner, who jumped into Normandy on D-Day and I, (who was a part of the 517th that jumped into Southern France on Aug 15, 1944), along with 118 other WWII veterans were treated to a flight to Washington DC  this past Saturday.  And, what a day it was.  Our flight was sponsored by Volusia Honor Air, composed of three different Rotary Clubs in DeLand, FL, along with loads of sponsors, 'guardians' and friends.

Since the flight was early, I picked Howard up in Leesburg and we drove to Daytona Beach where we spent the night.  We were to start our journey at the DB Airport at 4:15 AM  with breakfast.  Arriving there on time, with a free parking pass, we had coffee and met others in our group, until our 'guardian' found his group ()no more than 3 veterans), picked up our name tags and boarding passes.

We then went thru the normal security gates into a lobby where we had breakfast served by even more volunteers, along with lots of people grasping our hands and saying 'thanks for your service',  giving hugs, etc.  It  was overwhelming.  Then when were ready to go, we passed thru an Honor Guard that saluted us as we passed onto the plane.

As the plane was taxiing out to the runway, a number of fire trucks were spraying water in an arc for our plane to pass under.

When we arrived in DC, more fire trucks were giving us a watery welcome, and all the ground crews were waving their hands and flags in welcome.  WOW!!  But as we left the plane into the runway, it was all decorated with red, white and blue flags, strips wrapped around  the hand rails, etc, and when we reached the end, we were met by Suzanne Kosmas, Congresswoman from the 14th District, who gave each of us a hug and an American Flag.....passing on into the lobby, we were met by several hundred people, calling us by name, shaking our hands, hugging us, thanking us for our service and wishing us a good day...who were these people....I don't know, but they were young, old, black, white, brown, male, female, the works.

Before I tear up here, I have to tell you that in all my years of service, and all my returns home, I  have never been in a parade, nor has any group given me a welcome such as this!  I was in combat in three different wars, but t his was the first really organized effort I had encountered to say 'thank you for your service'.

We had a full day scheduled, starting with Arlington Cemetery, and the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  Back on the busses, the 'guardians' giving their roll call that all their group was on board, then to the WWII Memorial.  We strolled around, taking photos, and I came across one thing that really made this a memorial to WWII....in a narrow opening that went down to some of the machinery, there was the familiar hands, nose and face of "KILROY WAS HERE" scratched into the granite!!!!  I took a photo of it, and I will pass it on to you as soon as I learn to down load all my photos and select a few.

I have failed to mention that our flight was one of seven...that's right, seven...Honor Air flights that day.  I met veterans from Yountville, CA, the Dakotas, Michigan, Louisiana, and where the others come from I don't know.  But we all had distinctive shirts and caps so we wouldn't get mixed up!!!

From there we went to the Library of Congress where we had lunch,  a nice speech and prayer from a Chaplain from Walter Reed Hospital, Rep. Kosmas and the Director of the Library.

Next we headed out to the Capitol where we had a group photo taken with Rep. Kosmas, then back on the busses to see the Korean War Monument and the Vietnam Wall.  As the paths branch off, one going to the Korean area and the other to the Wall, a Guide as giving a lecture on the two, with several hundred people in attendance.  Also at this intersection, was a big flag pole, the base with separate sections for each of the five armed services.  I noticed a buck sergeant on his knees polishing these plates...he had already applied Brasso, and was now polishing the plates.  I asked him if this was 'extra duty' or a volunteer effort....this being Saturday, it had to be one or the other.   His response was that it was voluntary, so I asked if he had an extra cloth, and down on my knees (that was a task!) I went, and polished one of the plates.  For some reason or other I got the Marines.  Before I finished, another young man dropped to his knees and helped out.  After I had finished my section, that's all my knees could take, so I stood up and went to the Wall, having already gone to the Korea area.  By the time I returned, yet another young man was helping, and the plates were shining like new.  I asked the Sergeant if he was stationed here, but turned out (he was a paratrooper) is stationed at Ft Bragg, but here on temporary duty.  I thanked him for his efforts in keeping our Memorials in shape.

Back on the busses, we next went to see the Marines statuary of the Marines raising the flag on Mount Hiribashi, then to the airport ready to go home.

Arriving back in Daytona Beach, I waited on Howard, who needs the assistance of a walker to get around, so we were the last to get to the lobby....there was such a gap, I think our 'guardians' thought we were lost....but, even so, the Honor Guard was still in place, gave us a  full military salute, and, again, there were hundreds of people there to welcome us back, calling us by name, shaking hands and giving hugs.  One young Boy Scout, in full  uniform, gave me his three fingered salute,  which I returned and then shook his hand, and it took us at least 15 minutes to get out  of  the terminal...everyone wanted just to touch us, wish us well and thank us.

I'm not an emotional person...as my children will tell you....but, this was was of the most emotional days of my life and I will never forget it.  I can't thank all the people who put this together...it was phenomenal, the time, effort and skills required to put this all together.

Now, if you are a WWII veteran, or know someone who is, have them get on line to 'HonorAir'  or contact a local Rotary Club for more information on how to get on this flight.  WWII vets are dying at the rate of over 1,000 a DAY, so there are not many days left for them to see this.  Everything was in place, doctors, nurses, wheel chairs, cold water....you name it, it was available.  If it  had rained we would all have been provided ponchos, but the weather was beautiful.

My hat is off to the Rotary Clubs and all their sponsors and friends  who made this possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this....phil mc spadden