From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:32 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1789 -517TH PRCT- MAY 19, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Click on                               National Reunion

                                             Salt Lake City

                                             July 9-13, 2009

Recent website additions:

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Pvt. Richard L. Lynam, H Company, KIA

Operation Dragoon After Action Reports

Mail Handling Procedure During the Invasion of Southern France

Howard Hensleigh

Yes, I remember my jump uniform and the ones the men in my Hq. 3rd machine gun section wore.  We wore fatigues, the regular helmet with a chin strap, and regular old button up GI jacket.  All of our clothes were paint sprayed for camouflage purposes and our faces were grease painted the same way.  Back in the States in 1943 I think at Ft. Benning, I was issued one jump suit I still have.  Others may have jumped in jump suits, but I did not know of that.

Because the M-1 was a better weapon and was fit for a bayonet, I got rid of my carbine in Italy and carried an M-1, disassembled in what I called a Johnson bag.  I had a musette bag (back pack) with all my personal stuff (tooth brush, shaving material etc.) flipped over my head to the front (because of the parachute back pack) and the reserve chute on the front.  The Johnson bag was fastened under the musette bag and reserve.  The planes that dropped us did not slow down as prescribed which caused an opening shock that tore my musette bag off into the blue yonder and jerked my helmet so that the chin strap scraped off a good share of the skin on my chin.

For those doing the reenactment of the jump and our battles in Southern France, it may be more dramatic for the reenactors to wear jump suits if they prefer and I am sure some in the 517th wore them.

Best airborne regards,  Howard Hensleigh

From: "J.mickael SOLDI" anvil-dragoon@hotmail.com

J.Michael
Airborne Museum LE MUY France

Dear Ben ,

Thank You so much to hook me back to the line in my new address, and let's the "mail call" coming, thank you for all the kind email i've received
If I can be useful for you all here in south France, with my friend Eric, the town staff and friends for accommodations vets, family or friends planning to come to the 65Th anniversary i will be grateful to help you.
The approx dates are from the 14th to the 17th in the drop Zone around Le Muy.
Contact : anvil-dragoon@hotmail.com
regards to you all,
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY..
J.Michael
Airborne Museum LE MUY France

Steve Markle

Thanks to some scanner issues, I have fallen WAY behind in getting more of these issues out. Hopefully the problems are behind me and I can get the balanced of these released. Thanks for your patience.

Here is the March 1998 issue of Wings;

http://markleweb.com/gallery/d/18157-1/Wings_March+1998_publish.pdf?     (NOTE: THIS IS A VERY BIG DOWNLOAD (20.1mb). Please be patient).

...and the article that includes a full index of the issues that have been scanned to date;

    http://www.markleweb.com/the-news/wings-596-publication.html

Included are many WWII era photos and from the 1997 Palm Springs reunion.

Enjoy!

-Steve-

Morris McDowell

For Bob Dalrymple: Bob, sgt. Harmon told me that Wickersham was the scout of the 1st pltn. I believe in Italy, and was getting pistols and personal items from the soldiers he was killing, and selling them and making good money. My Cousin wanted to be the scout as well, but Wickersham wanted no part of that. As a result Layton & Wickersham had some pretty serious words, so Fred asked Lt. Athey to help, so Lt. Athey made both of them scouts, so everybody was happy, according to Fred.  Oh, by the way, Mr. Hensley, I love your very detailed accounts of the actions the 517th were in. Thank all of you Veterans for what you have done for all of America. Morris McDowell

Darrell  Egner 517 President

Mary Lloyd and Rob I found this very interesting and I think you will too.

Ben when you are in Europe this August I feel sure you will see some Cemeteries that are in this PBS Documentary.  I plan to watch.

Darrell

Subject: Hallowed Grounds a PBS Special May 25

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Robert Uth , New Voyage Communications, 202-234-0608, newvoy@verizon.net  or Glenn Marcus, gmarcusdc@aol.com, 202-518-8646

PBS TO DEBUT NEW DOCUMENTARY ON U.S. OVERSEAS MILITARY CEMETERIES ON MEMORIAL DAY, MAY 25TH, 2009, 10 PM (EST)

 NATIONAL EMMY AWARD WINNERS CRISSCROSSED THE GLOBE TO PROVIDE FIRST-EVER LOOK AT 22 U.S. WORLD WAR I AND II CEMETERIES

 WASHINGTON (March 5, 2009) – Nearly 125,000 American military men and women are buried overseas in the lands where they fell.  The bodies of almost 100,000 more have never been found. But not one of them has been forgotten.

This Memorial Day, May 25, at 10 pm (ES T), a new PBS documentary “Hallowed Grounds" features footage of 22 overseas U.S. military cemeteries from World Wars I and II, and vignettes about the heroic men and women buried there, and those who visit them.

 "We heard of these national treasures of the American Battle Monuments
    Commission while making THE WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL: A TESTAMENT TO FREEDOM,
    for PBS," said director-writer Robert Uth of New Voyage Communications, “and were surprised to learn that the majority of them had never been portrayed in a major documentary. Even more interesting is that most Americans are not aware of their existence.”

Hallowed Grounds” follows the path of U.S. forces in both World Wars in eight countries: Belgium, England, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, the Philippines and Tunisia. The documentary uses archival footage and photos to depict the battles that filled these burial grounds, and includes profiles of many of the American men and women who rest in them. Some of the featured were well known, including the poet Joyce Kilmer, two of Theodore Roosevelt’s sons, bandleader Glenn Miller, the five Sullivan brothers, and General George S. Patton. But most were ordinary men and women of all backgrounds, caught in the calamity of war.

 Each of these overseas military cemeteries is a unique expression of
    commemorative design, with stunning landscapes, magnificent architecture, and powerful works of sculpture and art that are tangible representations of American values. They provide a constant reminder in the countries where they reside of the tremendous sacrifice Americans had made to preserve peace and freedom in the world. And they create a fitting resting place for those who paid the ultimate price.

The documentary has received lavish praise from high-profile American war veterans. After seeing a preview of the film, former South Dakota
    Democratic Sen. George S. McGovern, a World War II bomber pilot, stated,
    “This is a superb depiction of the American military cemeteries abroad. It helps us remember the great sacrifices that young Americans made in defense of the nation.” Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, who served in the Vietnam War, was also impressed. This documentary gives long-overdue honor and recognition to these sacred places, and the men and women who gave their lives for the cause of freedom around the world,” he said.

“Hallowed Grounds” is the most recent PBS work produced by Robert Uth and
    New Voyage Communications, along with his documentary partner Glenn Marcus.
    Both are the sons of World War II combat veterans, and their earlier films
    also include “The March of the Bonus Army,” a documentary on World War I
    veterans, and “Korean War Stories,” which won the national Emmy Award for outstanding historical documentary.

   During the making of the film, Marcus, who co-wrote “Hallowed Grounds,”
    visited for the first time the grave of his father’s only sibling, interred
    in the Lorraine U.S. Military Cemetery in France. “I was pleased to see that the uncle I never knew is resting in this beautiful and immaculately maintained place,” he said. “It is a most worthy statement about how our country honors those who made the supreme sacrifice.”
 The program is narrated by Battle of the
    Bulge veteran Peter Thomas, with an original score by Charlie Barnett.
     Major funders for the program are the Disabled American Veterans
    National Service Foundation, The Cantigny First Division Foundation of the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, PBS, and the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation.

Check local listings for exact broadcast times in your area.