From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 8:33 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1800- 517TH PRCT- JUNE 2, 2009

Hello

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Click on                               National Reunion

                                             Salt Lake City

                                             July 9-13, 2009

Recent website additions:

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Pvt. Richard L. Lynam, H Company, KIA

Operation Dragoon After Action Reports

William Daniel

Dear Mr. Barrett,

I am writing to inform about a member of the 517th PRCT - Cpl. Tom Weil - HQ Co / 3rd Bn. and of G Company. Mr. Weil was a member of the 517th from 1942 -1945. He was awarded the bronze star, and wounded several times in combat. At present Mr. Weil, who is in his mid-80's,  is struggling with some health problems.

I am a high school librarian at the HS of Telecommunication in Brooklyn, New York and have always been fascinated with history, in particular with WWII. Back in 2005, I learned from Mr. Weil' son, a teacher in our school, that his father Cpl. Tom Weil  had been a paratrooper and had taken part in the Normandy (training to be a Pathfinder) and Southern France invasions in 1944. I brought Mr. Weil to our school and presented to the students a PBS documentary about paratroopers titled, "D-Day: Down to Earth - Return of the 507th ". Afterwards, Mr. Weil gave a talk about his WWII experience. We held the event on June 5, 2005 in commemoration of the 61st anniversary of the D-D landing.  It was very successful and the students were very responsive to Mr. Weil's presentation.   After this event, I had the opportunity to sit and interview Mr. Weil on two occasions for 6 hours of video. To prepare myself for the project, I read a number of accounts about the 517th, including Gerald Astor's work titled "Battling Buzzards". I worked many hours on turning the footage into an amateur documentary about Mr. Weil's experience with the 517th. ( I used some copyrighted video footage from WWII documentaries to enhance my documentary.)  When I was researching other WWII documentaries, I came across some footage about "Operation Dragoon" that I believe came from the War Department and maybe in the National Archives. I used this footage in the documentary.  Over the last several years,  I have shared the documentary with our history teachers to show to our students when they cover WWII in the classroom.

I recently learned through the 517th website that a professional documentary is in the works about the unit. ( I never submitted my documentary to the 517th organization due to the fact that I used some copyrighted footage in my project of Mr. Weil).  I do not know if the current project about the 517th   is still being edited or if it is finished. Since I have interview footage of a member of the unit,  I was wondering if it would be possible to use Mr. Weil in your 517th film project.  My footage is not high-definition but it is still a record of a 517th member's experience.  If you care to see my amateur documentary about Mr. Weil and the "Battling Buzzards", it would be my pleasure to send you a DVD. I apologize for the lengthy email.  I am looking forward to the the 517th film.

Sincerely,

William Daniel

Librarian

HS of Telecommunication,

Arts & Technology

718.759.3405

WDaniel4@schools.nyc.gov

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben,

This is amazing.  I  last spoke to Tom Weil on his wedding day in the summer of 1947.  Red Meline and I have been trying to make contact with him for many years.  Please pass this on to Tom's son and Mr. Daniel.  I am quite sure that Rene Benoit has passed on, so Red, Tom and I are the remaining members of the 3rd Bn. S-2 section while I had it through all the combat, except Italy.  Thank you for this good and long awaited news.  Howard Hensleigh

 Nolan Powell

Frank

June I, 2009 I have finished copying all the materials on the Presidential Unit Citation  for the Second Battalion. Tomorrow, I am sending a package to you by regular mail. In it will be, "Recommendation for Unit Citation" ---- "The Second Battalion - 517th  Parachute Infantry"  -  And "Attached Units".

There will be 13 pages  of  "Narrative Report of Operations",
58 pps. of "Supporting Papers", and "Four Special Situation Maps".

I believe I received the original packet from Texas back in the 1980's.
The following note was hand written on the front.
                          -----------------------
   Monk
        I have kept this package together (Documents & All) because it came from:B.E. Putnam, Rt. 9, 70 Hickory Point, Lexington. N.C. 27292. He may want it back.
        I found some of the maps useful. You may have done some of the drafting work on this?
                          -------------------------

        If my recollection is correct, Charles La Chaussee told me that Monk did the map sketches in the Paratroopers' Odyssey - A History of the 517th Parachute Combat Team. I just looked in the History and the name Monk is printed in the lower right hand corner of each sketch of a map in the book.

         I am bringing an original copy of the "Recommendation for Unit Citation" completed June 12, 1945 to the Reunion with me. I've heard different stories why it was never submitted.

          I'll see you at the Reunion in S.L.C.

                                                                          Nolan
This matter was kept confidential for awhile at Frank's request, but since we placed it in Mail Call we have been getting results. Frank Ramos is the brother of Ismael H Co.  Frank has done much good work for the 517th. -Ben

Today is Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Today in
World War II History

1944 - The United States began "shuttle bombing" in Operation Frantic. The operation was created solely to destroy Germany's war economy.

Random World War II Quote

"Our citizens can now rejoice that a momentous victory is in the making. Perhaps we will be forgiven if we claim we are about midway to our objective."
Admiral Chester Nimitz - June 1942