From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:55 PM
To: WDaniel4@schools.nyc.gov
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1801 - 517TH PRCT JUNE 4, 2009

Hello

Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Click on                               National Reunion

                                             Salt Lake City

                                             July 9-13, 2009

Recent website additions:

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Pvt. Richard L. Lynam, H Company, KIA

Operation Dragoon After Action Reports

Michael Renoux

many prayers from people of Le MUY. La Motte and Les ARCS .FRANCE to help Colonel Boyle and his Family,
people of France remember and never forget

Howard Hensleigh -to William Daniel

Thank you for your message.  My address is:  Howard E. Hensleigh, Wing D, Bldg. 331, 795 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025.
This is a VA facility as I am 88 and have been a T-2/3 complete severance spinal cord injury paraplegic for about 27 years.

I am somewhat more familiar with your area of the world, having attended Columbia as a graduate law student, and having read The Great Bridge and Boys of Summer.  I did call Tom on his wedding day in the summer of 1947 and he invited me to his wedding, but declined as I had nothing but sports clothes with me.  During the school year of 1954-1955 Tom and I were probably both so busy that we did not make contact.  Time has more meaning now and there are things we can do that family and career obligations kept us from doing for many busy years.  In Southern France the six of us patrolled two or three times a week so we were a very close band of brothers.

We in the 517th thank you for your interest in Tom and the 517th and your diligence in bringing him and his son into the fold.  We look forward to hearing from them.

Highest regards,  Howard Hensleigh

The term "Battling Buzzards" has been with us for a long time.  It was coined by Dick Spencer, an Iowa U classmate and 3rd Bn. warrior, in a booklet he published after the Italian campaign.  Dick also was the cartoonist that developed the patches of the 517th PIR, the 460th Parachute Field Artillery Bn. and the 596th Parachute Engineers Company.  Howard H.

William Damiel

Dear Mr. Hensleigh,

>Ben Barrett forwarded your email. I interviewed Tom Weil and created an amateur documentary for our school titled "Battling Buzzards". As I stated in my email, I never forwarded the dvd to the 517th organization  due to the fact I used some copyrighted footage to enhance my documentary. I hope that those who are working on the 517th film project will use some of the footage of Tom Weil. I am in the process of mailing a dvd to Mr. Barrett and I would like to send you a copy -since Mr. Weil was in your unit. Please forward me your address.
>
>Sincerely,
>William Daniel

June Huffman

why  the controversy over the maps in the "Paratrooper Odyssey"?  Everybody knows they were drawn by Frank Huffman (Monk) and he has never been given credit for doing them.  Those maps were used in the next publication and his name was omitted from each map.  Ben knows, Darrell Egner is fully aware that Monk did the maps, and the material sent to Benny Putnam should be returned to me.  I have recently learned that Benny died a few years ago, but I feel sure his wife Betty is still living.  I have lost contact with her.  Please help me get this credit for the art work known.  Thank you. June Huffman

Darrell Egner

I  knew Monk as we were in Hq 2nd Bn together and he was quite an artist, so good they called him up to Regimental Headquarters to put his skills together drawing maps.  The next time I saw him was at a Mini Reunion in Orlando.  We spent almost a week together and we talked about the maps in question.  This I know he did draw the maps.  Sometime much later he and Benny Putnam both passed away.  At this point I have no idea where the originals are.  I will talk to Nolan Powell at the Salt Lake City Reunion and try to get some answers.

The first Paratroopers' Odyssey was published in November 1985 and sold out.  Bill lewis reordered another batch but I am not sure when.  I checked both books and all the maps had Monks name on the maps in both books.  We still have a good supply of books left so I am shipping several boxes to Lory Curtis in SLC so he can put them on sale at a reduced price.

June I will do what I can to see if I can recover your property if it still exists.

Darrell Egner
President PRCT