From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:18 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; EDLINK74@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1829 -517TH PRCT- JULY 14, 2009

Just returned from a very successful Reunion planed by Lory Curtis and so triumphal there is talk of continuing to have reunions. Possible Nashville in 2010.
We were honored once again to have present General (call me Dick) Seitz and his daughter Judge Patricia Seitz and her husband Attorney Allan Greer who is also a veteran and also attending Trevor Markle, a remarkable young person. Hi Ed.

I will leave it to others to sum up the successful reunion as I am just trying to bring Mail Call partially up to date.
Ben

Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Pvt. Richard L. Lynam, H Company, KIA

Operation Dragoon After Action Reports

Dave Frear
Hello all,

I would like everyone to know that Thomas Garcin passed away May 1,
2009 at 83.  I would like to hear from anyone who knew him. He was my
beloved grandfather.

Thanks,
                              ************
Thomas Garcin was in B Co. - Ben
Dave Frear
702-275-5000

Darrell Egner
Got home last night and I am still on cloud nine!  Just wanted to thank all of you Vets and your families for making this Reunion one of the very best.  As the chair Lory Curtis worked 24/7 with his help to make it the best.  Thanks Mike Wells, Debi Coates, Tim Curtis and all the others that jumped in when needed.

Next thanks to all for the beautiful Plaque that Ben Barrett presented to me at the Banquet.  When he was talking I kept wondering what trooper did all those nice things he said.  Never at any time did I think it was me.  Oh by the way Ben don't scare us with your Hospital stay, you know we can't get along without you.

Our very own Dick Seitz made his usual talk telling you Vets now great all of you were in the big War.  Again not taking any credit for making it happen.  I was sitting next to General Tarbet and he whisperedthat's the mark of a great man when after 65 years his men still loved him.  I second that remark.

Staying with the Seitz clan I wish to thank Pat Seitz for arraigning that wonderful letter I read at the Banquet from Eric Shinseki a retired 4 star General who is the Secretary of Veterans Affairs.  Some time ago I asked General Seitz to sign two Paratroopers Odyssey' books which I will send to Eric Shinseki and General McCaffrey who was also involved in the letter I received.  I will send these books this week with a letter of thanks to both men.

I plan to also send a thank you to General Tarbet our Keynote speaker.  He commands 7,500 National Guard Troops and we were privileged to see his Honor Guard present the best I have ever seen.  Maybe I can get them another stripe, huh?  The concert his troops gave was first class, what a great bunch of soldiers.   I had no idea what he was going to talk about but he hit the nail right on the head.  It was a super speech.

Wade Gilbert, the Son of Ernie Gilbert, what can I say.  He is by far the biggest Donor to the 517.  He almost covers the cost of producing the Thunderbolt each issue.  Then at the Banquet he picked up the check for our liquid refreshments and as most of you know Paratroopers drink a lot.  OK a few don't.  The next thing he is going to do is re-produce the movie and mail it so every one can receive a copy at his expense.  I'll work on how we can order the movie.  My plan is to place a order form in the next Thunderbolt as not everyone is on the Web.  Thanks Wade and thanks Ernie for raising such a great bunch of kids.

This is getting to be a book so I better sign off.  I wish every success to Merle McMorrow your new President.  And a very special thanks to all you Vets and your families who attended this great Reunion.

Darrell Egner
Past President
Steve Markle
I just posted this article on my web site....

I have been privileged to share this last week with a group of American heroes, the members of the 517 Parachute Regimental Combat Team at their annual National Reunion in Salt Lake City.

These men have shared a common bond of grit and brotherhood with my dad in this under appreciated unit from World War II. They were part of the Airborne Invasion of Europe in the Battle of the Bulge, and saw battles in Italy, France, Germany and Belgium. They were a unit that was used as firefighters to assist in many of the hot spots in the battles of Europe. They went on in life to build a solid backbone for America.

To see more history on this great unit, please visit http://517prct.org .

To see more pictures from this reunion, please see my gallery starting here;

http://markleweb.com/gallery/v/wwii/reunion/SLC/

As a descendent of one of these great men, I encourage other descendents and family members to get involved with the 517prct.org to maintain, improve and preserve the history of these MEN.

 .... it's the least they deserve.

-Steve

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Tory,  I am delighted to hear from you and learn that you have written about your uncle Bob Woodhull to enlighten your family and future descendants about the brave and heroic man he was in his role as forward observer for the 460th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion in defeating the Nazis during WWII.   I will treasure it however you send it.  My address is Howard Hensleigh, Building 331, Wing D, 795 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025.

Best regards to you and your family,  Howard Hensleigh