From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:12 PM
To: EDLINK74@aol.com; marylloydmcdonald@gmail.com
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1831 -M 517TH PRCT- JULY 15, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Claire Giblin

Hey, Ben -

WOW!!!  What a fabulous reunion we just had in Salt Lake City!!  Best ever!

Though billed as the last national reunion, we were happy to hear that people are still interested in coming to summer national reunions.  It helps us water and feed the grandchildren and great grandchildren's interest in the 517 - and they are the keepers of the legacy.  Stay tuned.

We had a wonderful time!  Lory Curtis did an incredible job on this gathering - the trips were fantastic, the hospitality room had lots of photos up on the walls - and our keynote speaker Lt. Gen. Turbot (I may be spelling that wrong) was inspirational.  Lory's team was comprised of Mike Wells, Tim Curtis, and Debbie and Jerry Coates (even though Deb's father was unable to attend at the last minute).

The best part about reunions is renewing acquaintances with old friends and making new ones.  Steve Markle has posted photos on his website and has a good one of each trooper.  I urge everyone to look at his online gallery.

Carl Smith hosted the unit and friends at his extensive collection of WWII vehicles and paraphernalia.  He couldn't have been more gracious and extended an open invitation to members of the 517 to come back anytime to visit his "toy box," as I think he called it.

We especially enjoyed the appearance of the Utah National Guard's orchestra.  They were wonderful ambassadors for the armed forces, and excellent musicians to boot.  The solo clarinet player (she is also Soldier of the Year) received a standing ovation and a hug from Darrell Egner (oh, what he won't do to have his picture taken with a lovely young lady....).

And we were happy to see that we had to set up an extra table at the banquet and were right at our maximum numbers!

We had the first screenings of the film commissioned last year, and it was very well-received.  This film serves as a concise history of the unit.  Those at the St. Louis reunion will remember the interviews being done, and through a near-miracle of hard work and funding streaming in, we (well, by "WE," we mean Rob McDonald and Mary Lloyd McDonald) were able to complete a film with a running time of about 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Based on suggestions, it will be tweaked a bit and additional interview portions added (kind of like additional DVD features, with a minimum of editing).

Each trooper who was interviewed will receive a copy of his raw interview footage.  Watch for the order form in the Thunderbolt.  Due to the incredible kindness of a benefactor, every trooper or trooper's family will receive as many copies as you'd like.  You're free to order as many copies as you need.  You may send a donation if you wish, but it is not necessary.  The important thing is to get the film out to our 517 family.

I just talked to Rob McDonald yesterday, and he will also put together a sheet with suggestions about how to organize screenings of this film in our communities - say at libraries and schools.  Please use this opportunity to reach out and educate our communities.

AND SO -

Now we are on to:

65th anniversary celebrations in France and Belgium next

East Coast Mini Reunion in Kissimmee in January 2010

West Coast Mini Reunion in Palm Springs in April 2010

 and - probably - another national reunion in summer 2010!  Bring the fammily and preserve the legacy!

Best to all my favorite vets -

Claire

Jerryr Wolfford

Hi Ben, I hope you are enjoying the weather in sunny California. After having attended my first 517th Reunion in Salt Lake City let me say "dang" I picked a good one to start on. The people I met there were like family and they all went out of their way to make us feel at home. The Curtis brothers did their father proud. Good job, well done. Helen and Claire, where do you girls get all that energy? I'm sure a lot of fathers were looking down upon their children from above as they went about doing the necessary things that made this gathering such a fitting tribute to those in attendance as well as those who have made that last jump.  Their pictures lined the walls of our gathering place and their spirits were with us. Some experienced that sweet sorrow for the first time and I'm sure they felt comfort in knowing that they were among understanding family and dear friends. I felt it myself. I was amazed at what a young whipper-snapper our General Seitz is and I felt proud to be in the same room with such a gentleman. I witnessed Darrell Egner as he passed the torch to Merle Mcmorrow and then there is Leo Dean who is the Airborne version of the Energizer Bunny, he just keeps jumping and jumping. Ben scared the bejeevers out of us all with his over night hospital trip. I bought enough 517th caps, visors, pins, Odysseys and bumper stickers to keep Uncle George [Cavnar, Reg. H.Q.] happy for a while and hopefully he will feel up to making the next reunion. Thank you to each and every one of you for allowing me to come and be a part of such a special gathering. I will never forget it.                              [Nephew of a Buzzard]

Diane Lynch

Ben,

 Do you have the name and address of the gentleman that provided the transportation, meal and visit to his private WWII tank and equipment museum?  We would like to send a thank you card to him and the people that helped him.  It was great to see you again and we hope you are feeling better now.

Thanks,

Diane Lynch

Daughter of Marvin Moles – I Company

Lory Curtis lcurtis@utah.gov can provide you with that info.-Ben

Chris Lindner

Hi Ben.
I had no idea the time on my jump was 5:17 minutes.

That gives me creeps!!!!!

Harris Johnson

This is what the fourth of July is all about.

Killed in action the week before, the body of Staff Sergeant First Class John C. Beale was returned to Falcon Field in Peachtree City , Georgia , just south of Atlanta , on June 11, 2009. The Henry County Police Department escorted the procession to the funeral home in McDonough , Georgia . A simple notice in local papers indicated the road route to be taken and the approximate time. This was filmed during the procession by a State Trooper.

Nowadays one can be led to believe that America no longer respects honor and no longer honors sacrifice outside the military. Be it known that there are many places in this land where people still recognize the courage and impact of total self-sacrifice. Georgia remains  one of those graceful places. The link below is a short travelogue of that day's remarkable and painful journey. But only watch this if you wish to have some of your faith in people restored. Please share widely.

 Bragg GIs 1st to Field Grenade Launcher
The barrels were hot in the Army's charter fielding of the new M-320 grenade launcher as paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division fired the weapons for the first time....More