From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:00 PM
To: EDLINK74@aol.com; Paseitz@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1832 - 517TH PRCT- JULY 16, 2009

Just arrived at Incline Village, Nevada. Will be here for the rest of the month. Send Mail. I'm fine period.

 Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Bob Barrett

Retired General [Seitz] shares leadership tips:

http://www.fortrileypost.com/newsdetail.asp?article_id=2531

Raymond Meldrum

Hi Ben

It has been requested by a number of those who came to the Salt Lake Reunion and enjoyed lunch and visiting the WWII vehicle collection on Saturday, to provide a mailing address of the owner so they could send thank you notes. This is a very thoughtful gesture and I know he would appreciate it.

Please send all thank you notes and correspondence to the following address.

Karl Smith
C/O Smith and Associates
455 E. 500 S.  Suite 201
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

Regards

Raymond S. Meldrum
American Patrol Company

Bill Bolin

Ben:

Please add my name to your e-mail addresses for 517th news. Also I need to get in contact with the filmmaker to see if my name can be added to the bronze medal list. I  would like my children to see my name if they happen to see the film. Capt LaChaussee put me in for the medal for some things I was involved in that first day in Southern France before things got stabilized. I worked very closely with Capt. LaChaussee the day we jumped because our Executive Officer 1st Lt. Marks was missing.   I was awarded the medal with my name on the back while I was in Berlin with the 82nd occupation troops.

Thanks for all the good work, even though I haven't been able to bring the Mail Call up on my computer for some unknown reason, I'm working on it.

E. W. "Bill" Bolin, 1st Sgt. "C" Co.
  Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben,  This is a note to you, to Tory Parlin (niece of Bob "Woody" Woodhull, our 3rd Bn. 460th Forward Observer), and to Roland Stassen, who has devotedly cared for Woody's grave in the Netherlands American Cemetery.

Yesterday, along with your Mail Call containing Tory's and my brief notes, i received the eighteen page story of Tory's research into the life of her uncle Bob, who was killed beside Red Meline and me at Bergstein just a few days before she was born.  Tory is a daughter of Bob's younger brother, who was serving at the time as a Naval pilot.  Since I wanted to read Tory's account without interruption, I waited until after dinner and selected a secluded outdoor spot here at the VA community living center where I could read as the sun went down.  Although I am not an emotional person, I was smitten.

It is a thrilling, well written adventure that begins with a little girl's curiosity about the many family pictures on the wall of photographs in her parents bedroom, including one of her uncle Bob in his army uniform.  I will not preempt the pleasure you and others may get from reading this treasure, because it it will spring to life when it is, with Tory's permission, posted on our website.

The reason I have included you as an addressee is that Tory has effectively used Mail Call, the website (which includes the Odyssey) as well as Woody's personal correspondence to compose an accurate picture of what the outfit endured and accomplished and her uncle's part in it.  Roland is an addressee because the Woodhull family for many years has been grateful for the loving care and honor paid to Woody's grave by citizens of the Netherlands.  In addition, Tory's experience in using the materials the Association has made available validates our efforts to preserve the memory and accomplishments of the 517th Parachute Regimental Team and its members--the objective of the Association since its inception.

Best airborne regards,  Howard Hensleigh

Don Sliker

Video: Tiger Woods' Speech at the Barack Obama 'We Are One' ...

Howard Hensleigh

Tory:  You did a beautiful job of research and writing as it is, but if you can do anything to polish that will be great.  It should be on our website, because it clearly demonstrates what Ben and the rest of us have been trying to do to make it possible for interested members of succeeding generations find out about what their forbearers did in the outfit to free Western Europe of the Nazi curse.

  Your uncle Bob was always an artilleryman and part of the 460th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion.  His artillery duties were to be with the 3rd Bn. of the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment for all artillery support including being a forward observer.  His radio operator told me that he and Bob talked about wanting to wear the combat infantryman badge and they deserved to wear  it more than some of the rear echelon infantrymen.

Again thanks for your interest, time and talent,  Howard Hensleigh