From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:19 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1833 -517TH PRCT -JULY 18,2009

There seems to be much confusion about the Bronze Star Medal and how to acquired it. If you receive The Infantry Combat Medal ,you are entitled to receive the Bronze Star Medal period.  You or a relative can request using the Standard Form 180  However, to receive it quicker just write to your congress person. His interns will get information and he will send it to you.

We started listing Bronze Star recipients on the web site from information provided us by Clark Archer, but later the law was changed allowing all Combat Infantry Badge recipients to be awarded the Bronze Star Medal instead of listing the complete 517th Infantry roster, we added to the list on the web site as requested. If someone wants to be listed on the web site ,let us know. As far as being listed on the Film Project that's Mary Lloyds problem .marylloydmcdonald@gmail.com

We have not listed members receiving  Purple Hearts. Over 81% of 517 members were casualties

Ben

 Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Lory Curtis

Ben,

I forgot to acknowledge Jerry Coates, Debi's husband for all of his help and support.  I will blame this on the extreme jet lag I suffered flying back from California.  Jerry worked tirelessly during the reunion, and was helping Debi and I at midnight on Sunday to take things down in the hospitality room.  I sure hope I didn't forget anyone else.  Sorry Jerry.

Lory Curtis

Brenda Mortensen

Jim is one of those who was awarded the Bronze Star, immediately after
the Bulge, but his name is not included in the film.  We've checked
the website and cannot find the listing referred to which was used as
a resource.  The link that was provided in today's Mail Call connected
to information about the Bronze Star but did not include a list or
link to recipients from the 517.  Clearly there is something we're
missing.  Is it possible to get a direct link to that list of
recipients
Dennis Sura

Ben, I am a little confused.  Did I read right that my dad's Combat Infantry Badge entitles us to the Bronze Star?  If so how can a add him to the list?  Get it right for the movie?  How can I receive the medal to add to the ones dad left me.

Dennis Sura son Michael Sura Cpl. H Company

Lory Curtis

Ben,
This is for Phil McSpadden,
Your pictures of the bone yard in Tucson brought back memories for me.  When I visited Tucson I have personally seen aircraft from my F-4 Squadron that I worked on in the Marine Corps, and then Army Hueys that I flew as an Army Helicopter pilot.  A lot of good old memories.
Thanks
Lory Curtis

Rick Sweet
Hi Ben,
      I want to make sure that my dad, Odas Sweet H co, is not forgotten on the list of men who were awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart with an oak leaf cluster. It would mean allot to our family to see his name as part of the 517th legacy.
It sounds like everyone had a great time at the Salt Lake City reunion and I sure regret that I couldn't be there. I am happy to hear that there may be another one in Nashville next year. I live in Cincinnati and I could drive to Nashville in a few hours so it is very likely that I will be able to attend in 2010! I missed being with my friends and extended family. Both the Washington and St Louis reunions that I attended were two of the best trips of my life and I felt honored to be among you. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication to the 517th, 490th and the 596th!

SOB
Rick Sweet

 Howard Hensleigh
Note to Claire, Ben, Bob et al,  I am going to say something you may already know.  The bronze stat medal is NOW available to anyone entitled to wear the combat  infantry badge.  In the early days it was hard to get and many deserved it but didn't get it due to combat conditions, the fact that the 517th fought a lot better than it did paper work and higher headquarters that threw 517th recommendations in the waste basket.  In my view they have now cheapened the medal by making it available to all combat  infantrymen.  If you stick with the list in the Odyssey and those who can demonstrate they got the award for heroism, you will preserve what the bronze star used to be.  If you list everyone now eligible for it, you must list all who are or were entitled to wear the combat infantryman's badge, which means all of the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment who were with the outfit during combat.  It still excludes a lot of engineers and artillerymen who were up there with us and deserve it as much as anyone.  Best regards,  HH