From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:21 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0, 1834- 517TH PRCT-JULY 18, 2009

I hope that this Mail Call and previous mailings about the Bronze Star Medal and the Shifty Powers story will clear up these matters. I should have known that the easy way is likely mined.
Every thing that we know about the 517th is on the web site http://517prct.org/table_of_contents.htm. Other information is welcomed.
Ben

 Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Lory Curtis

Ben,
I forgot to acknowledge Jerry Coates, Debi's husband for all of his help and support.  I will blame this on the extreme jet lag I suffered flying back from California.  Jerry worked tirelessly during the reunion, and was helping Debi and I at midnight on Sunday to take things down in the hospitality room.  I sure hope I didn't forget anyone else.  Sorry Jerry.
Brenda Mortensen

Jim is one of those who was awarded the Bronze Star, immediately after
the Bulge, but his name is not included in the film.  We've checked
the website and cannot find the listing referred to which was used as
a resource.  The link that was provided in today's Mail Call connected
to information about the Bronze Star but did not include a list or
link to recipients from the 517.  Clearly there is something we're
missing.  Is it possible to get a direct link to that list of
recipients
                                               ***********
Click on Individual Decorations  Ask and you shall receive - Ben

Dennis Sura

Ben, I am a little confused.  Did I read right that my dad's Combat Infantry Badge entitles us to the Bronze Star?  If so how can a add him to the list?  Get it right for the movie?  How can I receive the medal to add to the ones dad left me.

Dennis Sura son Michael Sura Cpl. H Company
                        ************
You or a relative can request using the Standard Form 180  However,to receive it quicker just write to your congress person. His interns will get information and he will send it to you.-Ben

Rick Sweet
Hi Ben,
      I want to make sure that my dad, Odas Sweet H co, is not forgotten on the list of men who were awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart with an oak leaf cluster. It would mean allot to our family to see his name as part of the 517th legacy.
It sounds like everyone had a great time at the Salt Lake City reunion and I sure regret that I couldn't be there. I am happy to hear that there may be another one in Nashville next year. I live in Cincinnati and I could drive to Nashville in a few hours so it is very likely that I will be able to attend in 2010! I missed being with my friends and extended family. Both the Washington and St Louis reunions that I attended were two of the best trips of my life and I felt honored to be among you. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication to the 517th, 490th and the 596th!

SOB
Rick Sweet

Howard Hensleigh
Note to Claire, Ben, Bob et al,  I am going to say something you may already know.  The bronze star medal is NOW available to anyone entitled to wear the combat  infantry badge.  In the early days it was hard to get and many deserved it but didn't get it due to combat conditions, the fact that the 517th fought a lot better than it did paper work and higher headquarters that threw 517th recommendations in the waste basket.  In my view they have now cheapened the medal by making it available to all combat  infantrymen.  If you stick with the list in the Odyssey and those who can demonstrate they got the award for heroism, you will preserve what the bronze star used to be.  If you list everyone now eligible for it, you must list all who are or were entitled to wear the combat infantryman's badge, which means all of the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment who were with the outfit during combat.  It still excludes a lot of engineers and artillerymen who were up there with us and deserve it as much as anyone.  Best regards,  HH

Marshall Baird

Hi Ben,

              I received my Bronze Star in April of 1987 but I don't know whether or not it was recorded on the 517.
   Lt. Dan Cook had recommended me for the B. S. while I was in the hospital but the 13th Airborne in all its infinite wisdom decided only the members who were on the roster at the time were eligible ????? so I had to wait for General Marshall's edict to get mine.
Thanks for all you do and have done for the outfit !!!!
Marshall Baird            Co A  1st Plt  1st squad &  plt hq
Gene Frice
Ben,
So good to see the Ben family and all. SLC (as in the case of all the gatherings-was great). Also, as usual, thanks for the hard work by a gallant few.

Currently in Berlin on my mission (?). For Claire, Helen, and others, as we now know, the Frice's are joining the balance of the 517 Dragoon venture. In my absence, I must turn the coordination to daughter Karen. As if she did not have enough to do as Karen, RN with her job at the hospital, feeding eight or more horses, 15 chickens, four dogs and a cat or two + plus the ranch in general. Oh well, what else does one have to do between midnight and 0500 hrs.

We (Laurie, Karen, Robin) are looking forward to a most wonderful trip with all. The gals are joining me 1Aug, in Berlin.

I am currently on the Berlin internet with the usual difficulty in doing so. The system works fine-just the usual problem of getting on and off. The hotel rate is 29e for a 24 hr period-outrageous! As usual, will be looking for a friendly coffee shop.

Regards to all

Gene Frice, F Co.

Dixie Welborn

Hi, Ben ---- How's it going in cool Lake Tahoe?????  Not too cool in Coalinga, CA --- like 108 today.

Just wanted to let you know that my husband's name, Guy Brian Welborn, was not listed as having received the bronze star.  Claire wanted us to let "somebody" know if a name was deleted.

Thanks ------ Dixie
Scott Ramsey
Thank you, that was very interesting.

Scott