From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:39 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1837- 517TH PRCT-jULY 21, 2009

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

Update on the

517th Film Project

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Merle McMorrow

Board of Directors:

As some of you know I had the misfortune earlier this month of being selected for the position of President for the 517th.  It was a great reunion and one of the highlights was the viewing of a film recently produced about the actions the 517th in Europe during 1944-1945.

A friend of the 517th (Wade Gilbert) has graciously and generously offered to  make copies of the movie and ship them at no cost to the Unit members and other interested parties.  The Association would like your imput as to how this distribution should be handled.  We send well over a 1,000 Thunderbolts each mailing and this is still our primary means of keeping Association members informed. Many do not have computers.  We recognize some are not interested in the publication since husbands are no longer living.  We have even had wives of members request their name be taken off the mailing list.  Addresses have changed and the editor has not been informed of the change. To minimize problems for Mr. Gilbert, we would like suggestions on how the handling and distribution to interested parties can be accomplished.  The preparation of the next Thunderbolt is scheduled for printing next week.  An order form for the film should be included in that printing for those that may be interested.  It was also hoped the generous contribution by Mr. Gilbert may tweak the conscience of those ordering the film and result in a contribution to the Association.

There are a number of options:

        1.  All order forms returned to a single location or address.  Someone could volunteer or be designated to handled the distribution of the copies.  Order requests should include postage along with the request. Regardless of the number of copies requested, the individual making the request could make further distribution of the requested copies.  Family members of a trooper (sons, daughters, grandchildren, etc) could make one request and this would result in handling of one order.  It would then be up to the trooper to make further distribution to his family members.  Set a time at which all orders need to be in following the next published Thunderbolt.  This could then result in Mr. Gilbert being informed as to the number of copies requested and his having to make only one shipment to our volunteer.
            Subsequent Thunderbolts could continue to carry order forms until such time as to when no additional requests for the film are made.
        2. Your suggested options

Your response is urgent since the printing of the Thunderbolt is scheduled for next week and it is desired to have some type of order sheet in it for the above mentioned film.

                                                                Merle
Eric and Michael

Find attached the files of the Ad, Program .

Eric & J.Mickael
Le Muy France

http://www.517prct.org/reunions/2009_anniversaire_liberation/2009_le_muy.htm

Marie-Louise Spencer

In the past we have sent money and we'd be glad to do it again.
To whom and where?
Joe has a bronze star, I hope he is on the list.
Marie-Louise Spencer (460th HQ)

Ben, did you just have one? In any case I send you love and
best wishes. You are a great guy! Marie-Louise

Steve Markle

I could not have said it better. Thanks for everything you have done.... which is more that most men accomplish in 10 lifetimes. You are a true role model and hero.

Happy Birthday.
The Rocklin Markle's

Gene Frice
Ben,
  Look up Helena Schrader <http://valkyrie-plot.com/index.html    <http://valkyrie-plot.com/index.html>, a most interesting person. She, along with her writing (author) and a current State Department Foreign Service Officer (that's how I met her) did an amazing amount of work on the subject. An interview of her is one of the links and the interview tells much more about Valkyrie and the personalities-an interesting topic-dats why I am here. Have a nice day.
Gene
Rick Sweet
Hi Ben and happy birthday,
           I second what Mr. Hensleigh has to say about you! You were my first contact a few years ago when I discovered the 517th prct website and since then a whole new world has opened up to me. I have learned so much from you, Mr. "H"  and many others and enjoyed the new friends that seem like old friends and the fellowship and welcome atmosphere at the two reunions that I have attended. I know that there is a common bond among soldiers because it is passed to the sons and daughters of the "Battling Buzzards" and you all have left a great legacy. I greatly appreciate what you have done for us. No other website that I have found compares to the 517th website. As you know My dad Odas, was also in the 504th as well as the 517th and their site offers little information in comparison, not to mention the reunions and mail call and "The Thunderbolt" that we all enjoy. Paratroopers Odyssey and "Letters home" by Lory Curtis are also two must reads for anyone interested in what their fathers went through as well as Gerald Astor's "Battling Buzzards". There is also a short section about the 517th in the "13th Airborne Division" book and it has some pictures including one of my dad and Jim Sutcliffe laying on the ground resting. This is but a small sample of information that I have discovered since our first contact. The website itself has a wealth of information and pictures sent in from all of the family's and mail call includes many gem's.
   A note to Darrell Egner and Wade Gilbert.....I personally look forward to receiving a copy of the 517th movie project and I truly thank you Wade, for your generosity. I would be happy to make a donation to the 517th or the movie project or however you would like to handle it. Freedom isn't free and neither was the project that was undertaken by so many involved and again as a descendent of a "Battlin Buzzard" I greatly appreciate the ones who volunteered their time, expertise and money to make it a reality. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I think that the information should be in the "Thunderbolt" and in mail call and on the website. You wouldn't want to miss anyone! Just thought I would add my two cents worth.....and thank you again, Ben for the forum to do so.

SOB
Rick Sweet

Jerry Wolfford
Greetings to all 517 associates. I am still unpacking my bags from the Salt Lake City reunion. What a fun occasion it was and the people I met there were real down to earth folks. It's nice to be able to put a face with a name that I have read about from the various publications concerning this PRCT. I was at the table with Les Perkins of C Co. and I was able to put a face with the story I read about the first American soldiers to cross the Var River during the war. Actually it was Les and PFC Richards both of C Co. who volunteered to take a wheelbarrow across the Var Bridge. They stripped off their shirts, unbloused their boots and tied sweatbands around their heads. Throwing their weapons in the wheel barrow along with the shovels they set out for the other side of the bridge looking like two labor conscripts going to work. According to the account I read, the guys were almost across when the German sentry became concerned and fired a round in their direction. As it turned out the boys from C Co. got the drop on the sentry and sent him and another German to the promised land. Now that is the sort of scenario that you can play out in your mind and almost see it as it happened all those many years ago. That story would make for a very interesting scene in a movie I would think. Hmmm, maybe that interview will be added to the upcoming "517" movie "Cut Above". I guess we will just have to wait and see. This account was taken from the big white book, "517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team"
                                                                                                  "Nephew of a Buzzard"