From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 7:34 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; earlghayes@msn.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1848 -517TH PRCT - AUGUST 1, 2009

Will visit Howard Hensleigh tomorrow and head East Monday and off to France and Belgium August 7. Mail Call will be erratic for next few weeks. Will try to send photos.

I have mail from Mary Jane below because her article about the web site has help recognition for the 517th to spread to many areas.

This is the time of the year when many send donations to keep the 517 and the Thunderbolt active. Members $30.00 Auxiliary $20.00 or what ever you wish to contribute.  It is not compulsory.

 Please send Links instead of Downloads when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

  Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

This site is dedicated to all Troopers of the 517th PRCT, their families, and the brave French and Belgian Resistance Fighters who supported and fought with the 517 PRCT in WWII.

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Nila Gott (Vasquez)

I think the idea of penpals for grandchildren is a great idea.  I have a boy and girl twins who are 11 years old (Nacho's grandchildren).  They are the perfect age for pen pals.

Nila Gott (Vasquez)

Nila Gott has edited this autobiography of Ignacio (Nacho) Ramirez Vasquez.

Not Ready To Die is the life of a man spent trying to survive in the harsh New Mexico badlands during the 1930s. World War II took him into the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team, where he made the famous Dragoon jump. The book contains stories of his survival

Books and References about the 517th

Oscar Knerr

Hi Ben,  Missed you.  I moved and just finally got settled.  Please put me back on your list.  I"m at  oknerr@comcast.net.   Hope you all had a good time at the reunion.  Oscar Knerr

Mary Jane Handron

Hi Ben,

Just wanted to let you know that the article about the 517th from last week’s Mariner appears to have been picked up by many of the weeklies across Massachusetts as well as both dailies and weeklies across the country.

Thus far I know it is in publications in Connecticut, California, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas and Maryland. In MA it appeared in the Brockton Enterprise, Waltham, Norwood, Taunton to name a few.

In case someone is in touch and says they saw you “in the news” that’s why!

I’ll look one up and send you the link. Have a safe trip home and will see you soon!

MJ

Ben ,

Here you are in a Daily in Louisiana!
Bob Barrett

Betty,

I just added the Biography and photos to the web site.  I also found a couple of other notes about Myrle that I tacked onto the end.

http://www.517prct.org/bios/myrle_traver/myrle_traver.htm

Let me know if you want any changes.

Bob Barrett