From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:03 PM
To: akers.matt@gmail.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1868- 517TH PRCT-SEPTEMBER 10, 2009

 Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

 Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

More photos from Europe trip 2009 - Parts 5 and 6

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

Patricia and Roland Orengo

Hi Ben

others examples for Picasa Album Web.

Album of Sospel and Cannes 2009 from us.

http://picasaweb.google.com/orengosospel/LiberationCannes2009#

http://picasaweb.google.com/orengosospel/12thAnd13thAugust2009InSospelWithThe517thPRCT#

We are impatient to watch pictures of Cannes during the dinner.

Thanks

Patricia and Roland Orengo
Sospel, France

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Jerry Wollford:

If we go back a ways, we find Frenchmen who helped us gain our freedom from Brittan in the Revolution.  Lafayette did his part as a general in the Revolutionary army.  John Adams recognized from the start that we were in bad shape because we hardly had a Navy.  He was sent to negotiate a treaty with France that would bring them into the war on our side.  Communications were slow in those days.  When he left Boston on a sailing ship the treaty had already been signed with Ben Franklin's assistance, but Adams didn't find out about it until he reached Paris after almost being shipwrecked.  When Cornwallis found himself surrounded by Washington's patriots with little choice but surrender, the French navy was just offshore to keep him from being reinforced or evacuated.

When we prepared the Certificates of Appreciation and words for the framed messages left for the town halls of the towns we liberated, that is why we could say in historic confidence that the unique part each town played in the liberation of Southern France and the reading of our plaque by succeeding generations would preserve the enduring bonds of respect and friendship between our countries.

\The legitimate differences we sometimes have require rekindling the strong ties of the past.  When Adams presented himself to King George of England as our first ambassador there, the king referred to our association with France and Adams responded that he had only one loyalty and that was to his own country.  The king acknowledged this universal truth that sometimes makes it difficult to appreciate other countries but always easy to love our own.  HH

Matthew Akers

Dear Ben,

              My living history group, F Company 517th will be doing our yearly event at Eisenhower National Historic Site in Gettysburg, PA September 19-20th!

We would be honored if any 517th veterans would like to come out to this event!

Matthew Akers 596th AEC Reenacted