From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 6:06 PM
To: EDLINK74@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1875 - 517TH PRCT-SEPTEMBER 18, 2009

We will let all know when the 517th film is available.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

More photos from Europe trip 2009 - Parts 5 and 6

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

Irma

dear Ben,
We are very touched about the mail of Mrs. Johnson. In fact the candle sticks have been offered by Charlie M. KEEN and his friends veterans (Phil Di Stanislao, Karl Kiefer, Al Paciotti and... ) in memory of the 2 US soldiers killed in front of the church of St Jacques, the other soldier is Mitchel. Charlie was very sad as he lost his comrads and he made a subscription to offer this candle sticks, I think that it was at the end of the eighties. For this time, they are on the altar and our Priester, Father RADERMECKER is praying for them and remember their names and sacrifices during each memorial service. Maria could say more than me about the battle and the day of their death - may be 1945 JAN 4 - I shall write more later. Please tell Mrs Johnson that we shall never forget her husband  and the sacrifices of those young heroes and their families.  Our love to all of you. More informations after my visit to Maria. Irma

we attended a ceremony in Henri-Chapelle on septembre 11 - Mathilde (your translator) organized a very special day for the 65th anniversary of the Liberation. I shall also send a picture of St Jacques' church as it was before the battle of the Bulge. Charlie KEEN told me that his comrads Johnson and Mitchel were killed in from of the church - at the parvis. Irma
Le message est prêt à être envoyé avec le fichier suivant ou les liens joints :
septembre 09 024

 Nicolas Arnulf

 Dear President of 517th PRCT’s veterans,

Please be informed that violent storms and bad weather are standing in French South for one week.

However, as Forty Four Memories “Maritimes-Alps delegate” and 65th official birthday of Col de Braus fights’ organizer I’ve decided we still had to celebrate this remember weekend.

Neither rain, nor wind are going to prevent us to pay homage to your dead.

Nicolas Arnulf – Forty-Four-Memories

In reenactment : (sergeant – 517th PIR/3rd Battalion HQco)

John Krumn

Extraordinary and interesting comments and write up from Barbara Fei and Merle Mc Morrow in the most recent Mail Call No. 1874.  Thanks.

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear President Merle:  What an eloquent, inspiring summary of the trip and tribute to Ben, his son Bob and the rest of his clan.  We the offspring of your remarkable "band of brothers" are deeply indebted to them.
    Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
Merle McMorrow

Ben:
 I have suspected for some time that you have on occasion censored material in my email.  Any content that may in any way be the least bit complimentary seems to mysteriously disappear.  This was confirmed by my phone call to you a few minutes ago when you readily admitted that from time to time you deleted material.  The portion you deleted in my most recent email follows in quotes.

"Ben Barrett was easily recognized as the hero at Le Muy.  At one luncheon Ben received a standing ovation and he humbly stood momentarily to be recognized.  I was so proud to stand in his shadow on that hot summer day.  I only wished he was bigger to cast a larger shadow.  Mothers were telling their children to remember August 15, 2009.  You will be able to tell your children and your grandchildren you saw Ben Barrett on that day."

I suspect this same thing has happened to others.  As I mentioned to you during our phone conversation, if this practice doesn't cease you will be subject to a Court Martial under the Uniform Code of Military Justice 64 Stat. 109.  If found guilty penalties vary from as little as a reprimand to as severe as execution.

                                    Merle
"The man doth protest too much, methinks."-Ben

My father Robert J Amerlan, is 86 yrs old. He belongs to the 517th RCT. I told him about your emails. He asked for me to be put on the list so I could print information and when he comes over we can look at what is new.

My email address is bamerlan@comcast.net.

Thank you,

Bonnie