From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 7:22 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; vparlin@eos.net
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1882 517TH PRCT- OCTOBER 1, 2009

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

More photos from Europe trip 2009 - Parts 5 and 6

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

Dieter Laes,

During your "Europe trip" in the Ardennes, I had the honor of meeting you together with Lud Gibbons and Gene Frice. I spoke to you about my research, the battle between the Ourthe and Aisne river. The first batallion of the 517th PRCT played an important role in this Hotton-Soy-Erezee area. I would like to complete the total framework, including the important role of the first batallion of the 517th PRCT. I hope to be able to include some personnal remambrences or other original sources like After Action Reports, Morning Reports, S3 Journals, Interviews,Logs,...
Any information or help concerning my research , if possible, will be appreciated

Sincerely,

Dieter Laes, Belgium
                                                  ***************
Can members of the 1st Bn. help Dieter. I have sent him some information including a copy of Paratrooper's Odyssey - A History of the 517th Parachute Combat Team from our web site- Ben

Darrell Egner

 finally got the monkey off my back.  First a bit of history.  Back in February 2008 your board decided that making a movie about the 517 PRCT was in order.  The movie was to preserve our history for our children and friends.  We decided to hire two professionals to accomplish this task, one to interview 30 of us at the St.Louis Reunion in July 2008 and the other to video these interviews.  McDonald Media (video) went a step further and decided to encompass our time from basic training in Toccoa all through WWII.  They went to Washington and searched the archives for information on the 517.  They came up with a first class movie which in my opinion is worthy of being shown on the History Channel.

The movie was ready to be seen at the Salt Lake Reunion in 2009.  We played it to 163 people and asked for comments, good or bad.  Rob and Mary Lloyd (McDonald Media) and myself talked to as many people as we could and all the comments were very favorable.  As your President I approved the movie and asked Rob to send it to Wade Gilbert to be copied and mailed to all of you that wanted a copy.

I waited two months and nothing was happening.  I called Rob and he informed me that people were asking for changes and even a request to remove a part of the film that they didn't like.  A few changes and corrections were made.  I called Rob again yesterday and suggested that he send it down to Wade no later then today.

Wade Gilbert owns International Audio Visual, Inc. and has been our largest benefactor through the years.  He has offered to produce CD's of the film and mail them to all of you that order a copy at no charge to the 517.  The instructions on how to order are in the Summer addition of the Thunderbolt on page 52.  If you order more then one copy please note that he will only ship to your address.  It will be up to each of us to send copies to our children, etc.

My thanks to every one that had a hand in making this movie.

Darrell Egner
                                            ***********
Orders may be sent via email  517film @avi.com

Wade is not charging for this service, but a donation to the 517 would be helpful and a thank you note to Wade would seem appropriate. -Ben

Tory Parlin

Howard - I have finally gotten around to editing my paper on Uncle Bob
Woodhull. I did not make any major changes but did clean up some typos and changed the wording in about 3 paragraphs. It made me feel better.

I am attaching the polished version which you said that you would like to
put on the 517th website. I would be most honored and am grateful for the
information generated by you and the rest of the unit that helped to piece
together my Uncle's story.

If you would like me to send to someone else please let me know. In the
meantime, I hope you are well.

Thank you for taking the time and care to remember Uncle Bob. Without that
I would not know half of what I do.
                                                **************
We certaintly would put the information on our web site but we did not get the attached copy of the polished version.-Ben

Best wishes - Tory
Tory Parlin
1495 Moon Valley Lane
Cincinnati, OH 45230
We certaintly would put the information on our web site but we did not get the attached copy of the polished version.-Ben

Howard Hensleigh
Dear Tory,  Thank you for the work you have done to flesh out the record of your uncle Bob Woodhull's service with the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team.  Your write up is an adventure in research and writing which will be appreciated by those who knew "Woody" and those who are interested in  the young men who came to Europe to liberate them from Nazi occupation.  Those in the Netherlands who have "adopted" his grave and care for it will be particularly interested.  If Ben puts it on the website as he probably will, it will be there for as long as we can keep the website going.  What you have done assists in reaching the objectives of the 517th Association which is too keep alive the memory of the outfit, our troopers and what they did, especially those who lost their lives doing it.  This summer some of the Association and Auxillary members visited all the places in Southern France and Belgium your uncle helped liberate and left plaques and Certificates of Appreciation with our European friends who do many things to assist, by reenactments and otherwise, to keep European attention focused on the sacrifices like your family has made in Woody's life.

Thank you again.  I am still at it and in good shape for the miles on the speedometer.  Howard Hensleigh