From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:38 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1888- 517TH PRCT-OCTOBER 8. 2009

I have heard from Dick Seitz. He is well but having a little difficulty with
a new GD computer. Must be a new make.

I will notify all when I know that the film is available.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Claire Giblin

 Oh, what a gorgeous article!  I have not enlarged it yet to read every word, but it is beautifully laid out and look!  There is the bracelet that Nancy wears, and a 517 pin!

Gilles, thank you so much for all of your work on behalf of this leader.  You are a wonderful friend to the 517.

Coming to the Parsippany office soon?  Very close!

Hugs,

Claire

Article was by  Gilles Guignard about Donald Fraser.

Patricia and Roland

Ben, Nolan,

We are so sorry to hear of Brian Welborn's death after his beloved Dixie.   We send condolences to their family.
We have some pictures took in Savannah with them and their company's friends.

Patricia and Roland Orengo

Sospel, France

Merle McMorrow - President

 At the last reunion in Salt Lake City in July your President Darrell Egner suggested that the time had come when we should probably terminate the scheduling of future National Reunions. However, objection to that suggestion was sufficiently strong enough to imply that maybe the continuation of the gathering should be reconsidered. If that is true we need to have two things happen. One, we need to have a Host City and two we need to have someone in the area of that city to coordinate the activities relating to the reunion.

In years past the members of the Association would compete for hosting the reunion. City representatives would come in to our Business Meeting and make presentations as to why their city should be selected for the next reunion. Then the members would vote as to which city they preferred. It was similar to that recently completed procedure used to determine where the next Olympic Games should be held.

Now the remaining active Association members are all in their mid-eighties and not willing or able to assume the task of handling the required reunion functions. It is obvious that more and more responsibility will fall on the Auxiliary in the future. I believe the initial thought in forming the Auxiliary was to insure the activities of the Association would continue to be carried out through action by members of the Auxiliary.

The suggestion of Nashville as the next reunion site came from someone and if that is more than a suggestion we need a sponsor to go along with it.

Guest Book Entry

Name: Jim Williams
From: Kennesaw, Ga
E-mail: jwilli1@bellsouth.net

In the Training & WWII Photos, Pvt Harry A Hill B Co from Andy Hill.
Picture WWII 48 is Donald E. Walker, the dog's name is Cesspool. Don is my wife's uncle by marriage.  He is 87 years of age and is living in Wichita  Falls Texas

Gilles Guignard

Hello Howard,

About the certificates of appreciation, yes I had the St Cezaire one in my hands and was so touched by your text and tribute. I was happy to see all the signatures on the certificate including yours and General Seitz's signature.

I have been in touch with Tom McAvoy lately and we have become good friends. He has told me his story and I have translated it in French on a WW2 forum.

Here is the link:

My avatar picture on this forum is you and Spencer. I love that picture and its my little tribute to you to thank you for all your help and friendship.

On the photos of Dick Spencer taken in Italy, I noticed he had plastic plexiglas transparent grips on his Colt 45.
Usually a picture of a woman/girlfriend/sweetheart was placed under the transparent grips.
Do you have any memories of Spencer's Colt and who's picture was under the grips ?

When you have time, please tell me about the march from Callian to La Motte and your role and tactics you told me about last time.

Kind regards, Gilles

PS: I'm including a picture of Dick Spencer and his Colt 45 in a customized holster.

Howard Hensleigh
Dick Spencer was married and Jo his wife was expecting their first  child at that time.  She was born on D Day or a day or two one side or the other.  If there was a picture there, I would be sure it was one of Jo.  Dick was a most unusual man as I am sure you have recognized.  He kept a portable typewriter in this B bag and always had it in use when we were out of combat.  He wrote and illustrated the text for a booklet on the 517th after the Italian campaign where the term Battling Buzzards was introduced by him.  He designed Christmas cards for all three units which were reproduced for V-Mail for all the troops of the Combat Team to use.  He disigned the 517th, 460th and 596th logos that have stuck with us all these years.  He returned to Iowa U after the war and took graduate journalism and while there invented Herky the Hawk as the school mascot which is still in use there today.  Iowa U has always known as the Hawkeyes.  Dick went to work for the Western Horseman in Colorado Springs and soon was its editor and major owner.  He led a lot of trail rides through the west and General Mel Zais went on one of them with him.  He was a good friend, a consistent booster of the 517th and a member of the 517th Association Board of Directors for many years.
Take care,  Howard Hensleigh