From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 8:49 PM
To: ch.viller@gmail.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1895- 517TH PRCT- OCTOBER 23, 2009

Much information in Leo's mail.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 1192 West   Kissimmee, Florida 34747

Leo Dean

Hi Ben,
Does the $15.00 fee for the 517th annual report go to The Commonwealth of Massachusetts?  The treasure is very good.

I'd like to see a big reunion in Nashville if only we can get somebody to do some local work in addition to whatever the Armed Forces Reunion people can do.  We were there in 1989, had a very big crowd

I received a phone call the other day from John J. Knopf's daughter.  He has gone to the drop zone in the sky.   He was a medic with the Regimental Aid Station.  He was in the field a lot.  Only had 3 Purple Hearts.

Richard P. Demmel was in regimental Hq Co, not Hq 2nd.  He was in the S-2 section.
Intelligence Platoon.  Also had lots of field duty.  Only 2 Purple Heats.  Lived in Albuqueruqe.

John J. Knopf lived in Arizona.  I think at one time he was on the 517th Board Of Directors.

It's interesting that both states give free auto license plates if you have received a purple heart.

When I received Mail Call, I used to make 5 copies and send them to former 517th members.  Now they are all gone.  I guess that "I don't have as far to go as I've come."

I go to Florida Saturday the 25th for a few days.  I've scheduled a skydive (#131) at the Deland Municipal Airport, 45 miles north of Orlando.  I return to Albany late Wednesday night the 28th.  I'll let you know how I make out.

Leo

 Raymond S. Meldrum
Ben

Regarding the recent 517th reunion held in Salt Lake City.

Feature film director, Ryan Little took a lot of film of the group as they visited the Karl Smith WWII vehicle collection.   He also did a taped interview with General Sietz.  He has edited and prepared a nice, professional looking 20 min. production for the 517th, showing the collection and all in attendance, free of charge.

This has been given to Lory Curtis to decide how to best distribute.  If you are interested or want a copy you may want e-mail Lory directly.

His e-mail address is
drlvc@comcast.net

Ryan said he wished he had more time to set up a proper studio and get better sound, but all in all I think it is superb little memento of the Salt Lake reunion.

Regards

 Raymond S. Meldrum
American Patrol Company

Don Gentry
The Advanced Tactical Parachute System T-11 made its debut at Fort Lee as six cadre members of the Quartermaster School's Aerial Delivery and Field Services Department logged a successful jump from a UH-60 Black Hawk Helicopter.

Dennis Sura

I was hoping to get the DVD's that I made a donation by Xmas.  I wanted to surprise my sisters and show my children.  Will there be mailed soon?

Dennis Sura, member auxiliary
                     *************
Yes-Ben

Chris Viller

Hello,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I don't have any links for the photos but can send them through mail.
In Le muy I was in touch, too breefly with Al Johnson & the family who rented a Black Ford C-Max & gave them the Newsletter I've been writing for the 65th Anniversary " Watch on the Rhine " from the French Rock of the Marne Assn.
I would like to get in touch with them. would it be possible to connect me with them ?
These pictures were not taken by me as I was involved in the ceremonies with Veterans of the 517th PIR & of the 3rd Inf. Div. Those were kindly given to me by Philippe Arakelian from Draguignan.
This has been a wonderful time (even though too short ) we shared with Veterans, their families, other Re-enactor's group involved & the Crowds.

With my Best regards,

Chris Viller
Secretary-editor ROTM
                                                    *********

Betty Traver
Ben,
This is beautiful, not just the pictures but the music says it all.
Betty Traver

A song some radio stations are banning.  The song you are about to listen to is from a Las Vegas Diamond Rio concert.  They received an immediate resounding standing ovation, and continue to do so every time they perform It!  Sadly, major radio stations wouldn't play it because it was considered 'politically incorrect'.  Consequently, the song was never released to the public. So America , see what you think.. If this offering speaks to your heart and you feel you want to share it with friends and loved ones, please do.

YouTube - In God We Still Trust - Diamond Rio

Gilles Guignard

Dear Friends of the 517th,

Here is another amazing video made during ww2 about Airborne training and jump school.

Kind regards Gilles
Interesting but corny and a bit of bravado. Topical in those days. Remember Gabriel Heater? Pathe News?- Ben

Jerry Wolfford

If this brings a tear to your eye.....it's ok. This story plays out in towns and cities across our nation everyday.  As the nations greatest generation slowly fades into history. And thank God for giving us these strong men and women at the darkest hour our nation has ever known. They raised the bar high for us. God bless each and every one of them and may we do them proud. Amen.
You've got to watch it to the very end!