From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 7:25 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1897 - 517TH PRCT- OCTOBER 26, 2009

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 1192 West   Kissimmee, Florida 34747

Mark Landreth

For Don Gentry...I read with interest the article you posted on the new T-11 parachute. I grew up watching my dad jump the T-10 on hundreds of occasions while we were stationed at Ft. Lee. Having made my first (and, hopefully, not last) HALO with a parachute similar in design to the T-11, it appears to be a great improvement over the T-10. I am concerned, however, the additional four seconds that the T-11 adds to the descent time could mean the difference between life and death when jumping on a hot DZ. mark

Bobbie Jo Spencer

Hi! My mother read the article that the folks at Western Horseman Magazine wrote – and she said it was all OK –

EXCEPT Dick only got the bronze star and 2  clusters and the purple heart with 2 clusters. So please remove the silver star bit. thanks! BJ and Jo

Don Gentry

Hello Jerry, Take a look at the first document on this page, "Operation Dragoon After Action Reports". These record of events cover D Day through D Plus 2 for each element.

On page 16, Company "I" Record of Events "D" Day, 3rd Platoon LT Feaney (Feeney) reports King and Colli (Celli) missing. None of these men are in the Christmas book.

The MIA report on 20 August might just have been the point where the entries were made on these missing soldiers. The search for medical records might help.

Don Gentry
Hello Jerry, I just read your letter in MailCall and did a quick search for info from the 517th web site and NARA.

First is an entry from Italy where your dad was a Non Battle Causality on 21 June 44 and Returned to duty on 4 July 44.

The next entry was after the invasion of Southern France operation Dragoon where on D+5 he is MIA with no return to duty date.

I have run his name through the NARA site and these are the names returned. I don't know which one he is.
Results per page

Don Gentry as usual has found important information for Us.-Ben

Pam (Andersen) Minton
 Hello, Ben

 Could you add me to the mail list for Mail Call - 517th Prct, please?  I'm the daughter of Otto M. Andersen, who I loved dearly that has passed some time ago.  I attended the reunion in Savannah a few years ago with my step-mom, Vera Andersen, and wished I could have had a chance while Dad was still with us.

Thank you so much!

God bless you and yours,

Pam (Andersen) Minton
mintonp@msn.com
Canton, GA

Michael Aterburn

 Yes, please continue to send me e-mails.

Thanks for your efforts.  I truly enjoy the e-mails,

Son of Nello R. Arterburn, SSGT, Co G., 3rd Bat.

Michael N. Arterburn
210 Marywood Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711

Gilles Guignard

Dear Ben,

Thank you for your email and for sending me Leo's email address.

I will also never forget our trip together this summer,
it was short but it has been one of my best holiday ever!
I think about it everyday.
With kind regards from Switzerland,

Your friend,
Gilles
                                                          *********
Gilles was our friendly guide in France.-Ben