From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 8:03 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.2000 1900 - 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 1, 2009

Hello, All members who have embarqmail.com as a provider were unable to receive Mail call # 1899. I have sent out 1898 Mail Calls so far, yet they thought that 1899 might be spam. I suggest that you contact embarqmail.com or look for another provider - Ben

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 1192 West   Kissimmee, Florida 34747

Phil McSpadden

Hello all.... just a quick note to tell you all that I was in the hospital for the past 7 days, and if you sent me an e-mail and it was returned, that is the reason why.

Nothing serious, had a "mini stroke" on the first hole Monday, but after it passed was able to drive my cart home, and drive myself to the hospital.  They checked me out really well, did a 'cath' or angiogram and found out all the pipes were running well, but on Wednesday my heart started 'running away', with my heart running about 150 beats a minute.  Started at 9 and didn't get calmed down until after 2.

Was in more than was required, but since they are starting me on coumadin to thin the blood to prevent any more 'strokes' ...it took a few days to getting thinned to their satisfaction.

Home now, and ready for everyday living.  Wanted to get this off  first, then I'm going to spend the rest of the morning in the shower!!  I was hooked up to three IV's at the same time, plus a heart monitor, so you can see I didn't get a chance to shower in this past week!

Best regards, phil mc spadden

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

Special to Lois Shortt:

Please make sure she orders the film, A Cut Above.

Order forms were in the last Thunderbolt.

Orders can be mailed to: Wade Gilbert at IAVI, 5149 Powerline Road, Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33309
or faxed to: 954/202-1899 to Wade's attention
or emailed to:  517film@iavi.com

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

Note to Jay Sutcliff, who inquired about the accuracy of discharge papers:

Dad (Kaare Allan Johnson, 596) also had inaccurate discharge papers.  I think he said that his were for some tank division, and to have had it corrected would have cost time (who knows how much - but even an hour on December 19, 1945 would have been a lot).

Dad was definitely in the 596 trooper.

Tom McAvoy
Hi Lois: did Bill know that a group had been sent to recapture  him and bring him back home?? along with the other two guys captured with him?? and so the story goes that they were within 20-30- miles of jumping into his area and were told, Bill had been moved, so abort the jump and rescue plan, and they did, I am told one of the guys was Ed Frantel of our 517 Regt.Hdq Co. S-2 section and Bill had trained with him all through the training period that we all 3  had.  If you want his address   (Ed Frantl) I have it and would be more than happy to send it to you? Tom McAvoy
Don Gentry

Ben, Here is an interesting letter from the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH). I have not seen a reference or mention of this organization before and many of your members may be interested in the functions and services they provide.

Don

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Springfield, VA October 22, 2009

On the occasion of President Obama’s signing of the Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act into law today, the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) would like to commend the U.S. Congress, and especially the Veteran Affairs Committees, for this historical event.

According to National Commander Jim Sims, “this issue has been at the forefront of MOPH legislative priorities for the past three years.  Many of our members and, indeed millions of veterans, depend on the VHA for their health care.  In the last 22 years, the VA has received its appropriation by October first only 3 times. When the VA does not receive its' appropriations on time, it is not able to care for the veterans who depend on it for their health care.  Because of the importance of this issue, the MOPH helped found the Partnership for Veterans Health Care Reform which brought together 11 of the largest Veteran Service Organizations in a common goal.  After years of uncertainty about funding levels and priorities, this act will guarantee a timely and predictable flow of funding for the Department of Veterans Affairs medical care.  By making this legislation possible, the Chairmen and Members of the House and Senate Veteran Affairs Committees who co-sponsored the bill, will make it possible for the VA to know one what its funding levels will be one year in advance, thus allowing it to develop its plans and programs accordingly.”

The organization now known as the "Military Order of the Purple Heart of the U.S.A. Inc.," (MOPH) was formed in 1932 for the protection and mutual interest of all who have received the decoration. Chartered by the Congress, The MOPH is unique among Veteran Service Organizations in that all its members were wounded in combat. For this sacrifice, they were awarded the Purple Heart Medal. With grants from the MOPH Service Foundation, the MOPH and its Ladies Auxiliary promote Patriotism, Fraternalism, and the Preservation of America's military history. Most importantly, they provide comfort and assistance to all Veterans and their families, especially those requiring claims assistance with the VA, those who are homeless, and those requiring employment assistance.  Through the VAVS program, MOPH volunteers provide assistance to hospitalized veterans at VA sites and State Veterans Homes.

For information contact:

National Public Relations Director, John Bircher, 352-753-5535

Email: PublicRelations@Purpleheart.org

MOPH on the Web

George KUNDAHI

I would like to read (or have) knowledge of the 517th Parachute Combat Team's involvement in the liberation of Fayence, France, in August 1944.  Can you help me?  I am in the midst of writing a history of this part of France during the World War II years?  Thanks.
George Kundahl