From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:15 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; monikastoy@yahoo.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1906- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 10, 2009

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Battalion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

Pat Seitz

Dear Ben:  as we near November 11th, may I express my deepest gratitude to our veterans -- without your sacrifices we would not have the freedoms that are the foundation of our democracy.  My words are so very inadequate, but my gratitude is boundless.  You are my heroes.  Thank you for your service to our nation and all who are blessed to live within this great country.  Sincerely, Pat Seitz

Russ Miller

Re Leo Dean's request for information about Captain Kenneth Freund:  My acquaintance with Freund was based on poker games we played at Camp McCall and a brief contact with him after WWII ended.  It is my vague recollection these many years later that he was either working for CalTex (Petroleum Corp) in Hong Kong at that time or thinking about doing so.  (Internet shows Dallas, Texas as CalTex's main office, phone number 972-830-3929)

 Tom Reber

Dear Ben,

Sorry for being off the radar for so long.  I had my left hip replaced on October 7th and have been enjoying a very speedy and successful recovery.

My father was a very good friend of Ken Freund, who was indeed in Service Co.  I recall a visit to our house during the Vietnam War, by Ken Freund.  He was apparently working for some kind of indochina oil company during those years and had contact with American troops.  I have often wondered if he might have been involved with some of our government's more clandestine services, at the time.

Ben, could you please provide me with Leo Dean's e-mail address?  I may have a letter or two from Ken Freund that may be of some interest.

Thanks,

Tom Reber
son Lt. Bob Reber, HQ 3rd
Monika Stoy
Dear Friends,

Happy Veterans Day!  Thank you to all of you for what you have done for our great country.

The attached concept paper tells you what we have planned for next year to commemorate the 66th anniversary of Operation Dragoon.  Much like this past year, but with a bit more time to plan and coordinate, bigger and better!

So, mark the dates on your calendar, and if you have any good ideas, please let me know now so I can incorporate them. And get the word out to all your comrades, tell them how well it went this year, and lets get a huge crowd of veterans and family members together!

I will be out of the net from tonight until 1 December participating in ceremonies in France for the 65th anniversary of liberation in the Vosges and the Colmar area.

Rock of the Marne and Airborne!

Monika

Operation Dragoon - The “Forgotten D-Day”
The Allied Landings in Southern France on 15 August 1944
Outpost Europe, Society of the 3rd Infantry Division
The US Army Center of Military History
The United States Army Historical Foundation
Honor
Veterans on the 66th Anniversary of their invasion of France
When and What: - 9 August 2010, 0900 to 1600 – Historical
Symposium with Dr. Jeffrey Clarke, Dr. Stephen Sussna, LTC
Timothy R. Stoy
- 10 August 2010, 0900 to 1600 – Commemorative
Ceremony, Wreath Layings at Tomb of the Unknowns, 3ID
Monument, remembrance at Audie Murphy graveside, followed
by luncheon and historical discussion
Where: Symposion location TBD, Commemorative ceremony at
Memorial Amphitheater, Arlington National Cemetery
Who: Veterans of the 6th Army Group, 7th Army; 6th Corps; 3rd,
36th, and 45th Infantry Divisions; 1st Airborne Task Force; 1st
Special Service Force; Allied Army, Air Force, and Navy veterans;
family members of veterans; Soldiers; guests; representatives
of the Allied participants in Operation Dragoon
Why: To honor the veterans of Operation Dragoon
To preserve history
To educate the American public
To publicize the Army Historical Foundation and the
National Museum of the United States Army
POC: Monika Stoy, President, Outpost Europe, Society of the 3rd
Infantry Division at monikastoy@yahoo.com
PH: 001 703 912 4218, Address: 6531 Milva Lane, Springfield, VA
22150 USA