From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:57 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CAL NO. 1908 -517TH PRCT-N0VEMBER 12, 2009

Just received encouraging news from Betty about Merle Traver.
Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

Betty Traver

Hi Ben,

Myrle is going into rehab and they are going to transport him sometime this afternoon.  He is still pretty weak and he cannot be released until he can walk better.  This morning is the first time that he has said that he wanted to come home so I know that he is now the road to recovery.  Thanks to all the 517th family for their prayers and kind words and thank you again Ben for all that you have done for all of us.
Betty Traver
Irma  and Arnold

517th monument in Wanne - 2009 NOV 11 - ceremony of gratitude. On this Veteran's day, Armistice Day in Belgium, we had a special thought for all of you and we thank you for what you have done for our country and our Liberty. God bless you. Irma and Arnold and friends from Trois-Ponts

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben,  To add a little detail, Kenny Freund was Major Hickman's number two in the 517th Regimental/Combat Team S-4 (Supply).  When we got Mark Clark's order to attack and take that part of Rome that lay in our sector (laid out on an accompanying map), it was Kenny who said, "Sorry we have too many weapons just off the boat that are still in cosmoline."  Howard Hensleigh

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben,  As many of our members probably do, I get a publication from the Army called "The Salute".

The fall issue carries an article on the Battle of  the Bulge.  After the opening it states, "As the fighting raged, General Dwight D. Eisenhower raced his only two reserve Divisions into the fray.  On the northern edge of the growing bulge, the 82nd Airborne Division worked with the 3rd Armored Division to stop the Germans cold and push them back.  On the south, the 101st Airborne Division reached the town of Bastogne....................."

Apparently there are many who are enamored with the thought that these two great airborne divisions, which are still doing heavy lifting today, did all the fighting in the Bulge.  I do not want to detract from any of the heroic fighting that the 101st and 82nd did, but to give them credit for what we did is overstepping.  To have been accurate the article should have said that the 18th Airborne Corps was rushed into the fray.  It wasn't the 82nd that Lt. General Ridgeway rushed to assist Major General Rose, commanding the 3rd Armored, to hold the line, it was Bill Boyle and his first battalion of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team.  And, while Rose's two combat teams were assigned elsewhere, it was the first battalion 517, with some assistance from Rose's headquarters command, that stopped the Germans cold in that sector.  Moreover, it was Paxton's 3rd battalion 517th that pushed the fanatic SS outfit back by retaking Manhay.  Retaking the vital cross roads at Manhay was the first territory retaken from the Germans in the Bulge and we did it, without unit citation or even acknowledgement.  Some accounts say we took the town with tank support, but there was not a tank in sight on the night of the 26th and morning of the 27th of December 1944 when we took the town.  A day or two later a tanker buzzed into the cross roads and the tank commander was told by a  trooper to get the hell our of there.  When he was spouting off to the trooper, an SS antitank shell went through him without exploding and bounced down the street a few times before we heard the blast.

I am not be able to name all the other elements of the 18th Airborne Corps, but two separate battalions, the 551st and the 509th, were virtually annihilated in the heavy fighting they did in the Bulge, to the extent that they were never reorganized.  It is frequent that assigned units are ordered to take the ground that is the toughest to take.  When they are successful, the historians give credit for the success to the larger unit to which they are attached.

The Battling Buzzards did their share of the fighting as did many smaller units assigned to larger ones.

Highest airborne regards,  Howard Hensleigh

Dennis Sura
Toasted the 517th at the American Legion post in Henderson, NV today.  Loyal member of the SAL and son of a buzzard.

Dennis Sura

Ron Burleson
Ben

Ms Bedow mentioned a '517th movie' in her comments below. do you know anything about it?

thanks

Ron Burleson
son of Claude A. Burleson (1924-2005)
Annandale, Virginia

How about it Helen?

Gina Votti
Dearest 517th Veterans,

I've had a recent privilege of meeting a Philippino pastor who has come to America to raise money for his church.  His grandfather fought with our soldiers in the Philippines, and remembers General MacArthur.  He also remembers seeing some of the Bataan death march.  I have asked the young Pastor if he would have his grandfather write down his memoirs, and he will.  (His grandfather - and others who fought side-by-side with our GIs -  is recognized as a WW II veteran by the U.S., as many of you already know.)

During celebrations today, the pastor, who also served 7 years in the volunteer Philippino army, was amazed by all that we do to honor our Veterans, as they do not receive special recognition in his country.

We are so very blessed in this great Nation.  May God bless and keep all of you who fought and bled to defend us, our truths and values.

Gina Votti
Daughter of Carl Votti, who has earned his eternal wings
1st Battalion, Company B

David Codero
Ben,

Thanks for your continued service to our country.

David Cordero

Bob Barrett

I didn’t notice until today, but a while back, someone added a section to the Wikipedia article about the 517th helmets.  I guess this explains why all the reenactors and historians in So. France were so interested in the helmets.

Helmets

During World War 2, the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment was part of the First Airborne Task Force, that had the mission of jumping behind enemy lines in south eastern France for Operation Dragoon on August 15th 1944.

It is thought that during the preparation for this combat jump, it was noted that there was a serious lack of paratrooper helmets available for use by the unit. To palliate this lack, standard infantry M1 helmets were specially modified by the unit riggers, with a new chinstrap being installed. The infantry standard chinstrap was shortened on both sides, and a replacement buckle and makeshift chin-cup was sewed into place. The modified chinstrap was designed to fit to the wearers chin as tightly as possible, so as to avoid loosing the helmet during the jump.

This type of modified helmet is remarkable as the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team (517th PIR, 596th Airborne Engineer Company and 460th Parachute Artillery Battalion) is the only unit of the US army to have used it during WW2. It is a rare example where an entire unit modified its helmets and wore them into combat. This is interesting from a helmet collectors perspective, as well as from a historical perspective, since the modified helmets can immediately be traced back to the 517th PRCT and Operation Dragoon. It is suspected that approximately 5000 such helmets were made, most of which were camouflaged with spray paint as well, adding to the unique look of these helmets.

Nowadays, 517 PRCT helmets are extremely rare, and are usually found in southern eastern France where Operation Dragoon occurred; or in north eastern France and Belgium, where the 517th PRCT fought in the battle of the Bulge after departing southern France.

KJ Barrett

Ben,
The kids, Jay & I want to say that we are touched even more by Veteran's Day now that we have spent time with the 517th this summer in Europe.  The kids are so much more aware of what today means to our country.  Claire is right about sharing your stories personally if you can. I saw a man with a cap on today that showed he was a vet.  I asked him if he was & told him thank you.  He shared his story with me & asked me to send his thanks to the 517th when I told him about you.  There will be a Battle of the Bulge presentation here in Wilkes Barre this December that we will learn more about & let you know.  The kids have a Veteran's day presentation at school this Friday.  Liam will announce your name & Shannon will announce Fran's name at an assembly, then "bricks" will be hung with all the vets names presented.  We'll try to remind the kids to keep in mind thanks to our veterans every day!  Love, KJ & crew
--

KJ

Mel Dahlberg

Ben
Last Saturday, I was honored as a WW2 veteran with an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, DC. by Honor Flight.
Words cannot express how I felt as people everywhere, from airport in Minneapolis to Washington Dulles airport, and surrounding areas and all the veterans monuments, gave us thank-you's and hugs for our service to our country.  It truly was a humbling experience that I shall never forget... wearing my jump suit with 2 other airborne vets made us stand out from other the other guys with just their military outfit caps.  Those of you that haven't taken advantage of the Honor Flight, I strongly suggest looking them up in your area...military organizations should help you in this.
I  took part in a great ceremony at a local Veterans Day program today with Gov. Pawlenty, Senator Franken and
Amy Klobuchar, and Rep. Betty McCollum.  There was no campaign talk... thank goodness!
Kudos to Applebee's Restaurants for treating the veterans with FREE meals. I had lunch there with some of my Purple
Heart buddies , and tonight I took my wife, Mae, to dinner. I asked the manager if I could do this and he said of course,
it is honor to serve you veterans on this day.
Mae and I are still praying for Myrle Traver...may the Lord's healing hand be upon  you Myrle.
Blessings to all,
Mel Dahlberg

Darrell Egner

Tom Copsey

Hey, a belated Happy Veterans Day to my favorite PRCT and their families.

Looking at the Vera Lynn link provided, her music, and the pictures of the Troops at the time was very moving.

Driving to visit my Mom's birthplace (Bally PA - Navy Wave) last week I caught a radio station that rebroadcasts shows such as Charlie McCarthy , Fibber McGee and Molly, Glenn Miller, etc. and thought very fondly of Mom, Pop and the 517th generation that listened to such music and shows before, during, and after the war.

Am sure my grandchildren will be saying the same years from now of our brave guys/and gals in the Middle East.

God bless to all Veterans and thanks to you special guys of the 517th who have enriched all of us!

Tom