From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 5:33 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1909- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 13, 2009

Important!  WWII in HD

Watch the Five-Night Event - Starts November 15 at 9/8c on HISTORY Channel
Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

Name: Lea Bradovich
From: Santa Fe, NM
E-mail: leab@cybermesa.com
:
My dad, John Bradovich of Chisholm, Minnesota, served in the 517th,
Headquarters division, in a demolition platoon.  He fought in the invasion
of Italy, jumped in Operation Dragoon and was wounded near La Motte, France. He  recovered and went on to fight in the Battle of the Bulge. Sgt. Sturgeon was his platoon leader.  He is 85, still living in Chisholm with my mother, Rose, married now for over 62 years.  Does anyone remember my father?  I spoke to him tonight, Veterans Day, he reminisced about Lt. Alicki, saying he was the best officer he'd ever known.

Wayne Cross

I couldn't agree more with Howard's comments on the role of independent Airborne units in the Bulge. Having read the 551st unit history (The Last Corner of My Heart) and that of the 517th during the Bulge it is apparent that the heroism and contributions of the independent airborne regiment (the 517th) and battalions such as the 551st and 509th were lost in the enormity of the battle,  To date our military historians have done a poor job studying the role and contributions of independent airborne and ranger units both in the European and Pacific theaters of operations.  Interestingly these units, along with the Rangers and First Special Service Force troops, were always the steel that were deployed to crack a tough nut.  Rangers and Special Service Forces lead the way in the terrible fighting at Salerno and the Huertgen.  The 517th also shed precious blood in the Huertgen and during the Bulge.  The Rangers have always been paid the respect they are due, I only wish the history of the 517th the 511th, 509th and 551st were afforded the same recognition.

 For Tom Copsey
 Ray Hess

Good morning Ben: I am forwarding to you a copy of an E-mail that I received this morning from  Sgt. Matt Holmgren, a member of this group, and one of the fellows of this group whom I met in Eckley Village this past summer. Hopefully I can go but first to the “mini reunion” in Florida, then depending on the weather here in PA at that time, I hope that I will be in good shape to attend. Best regards to you Ray R. Hess