From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:01 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; ttynan2@verizon.net; kelly71159@yahoo.com
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1914 - 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 21, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Finally wised up and have let others do research for me. Don ,Steve,Giles,Chris and others.

 Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

From: Keith & Laura Bailey

My name is Keith Bailey.  My grandfather, Francis M Bailey was a World War II Paratrooper Co F 517th Prct Inf Tec 4.  He was originally in Company D, but his discharge papers say Company F.

He passed away when I was twelve .  I never got to know him very good and thought maybe maybe some of the men that served with him might could help me out with any information regarding his serving in World War II.  He also had a nick name of PAMP

From: ttynan2@verizon.net
To: webmaster@517prct.org;

Sir,

Recently I acquired a copy of "Paratrooper's Odyssey." On examining the book tonight I noticed the name of Maj. Herbert Bowlby. From the book I see he was the XO and CO of the 1st Bn. and eventually Regimental S-3.

During 1974 - 1976 I was a student, history major, at Penn State's Mont Alto branch campus. My favorite history teacher was a Professor Bowlby. Regrettably I don't remember his first name. I believe he was a retired Col. Additionally, I do remember him mentioning being a paratrooper in WWII. In those days I was young, stupid, and fixated on a career as an amour officer. The opportunity to talk with him about his experiences was not pursued fully. In recent years my reading interests have turned to the airborne in WWII.

This situation seems beyond simple coincidence. I realize this is a long shot but, would you happen to know if Maj. Bowlby and Professor Bowlby were the same person? Is it still possible to contact Maj. Bowlby and if so, would you know how?

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time,
Tim Tynan

Associate Professor of History
Valley Forge Military Academy & College

Any information you could help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob Barrett

Don’t know if this helps, but here is a photo of Maj. Bowlby

He did teach social sciences at West Point in the late 40’s and early 50’s. (http://tinyurl.com/ya6bb32)

Pat Seitz

Dear Ben:  the Michael Norman quote was outstanding.  Thank you.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wonderful clan and to all the men of the 517th and their great families.  Because of you, we have the gift of keeping in touch with the men who served with my Dad and because of all of your efforts 65 years ago, we have the freedoms so many others in the rest of the world can only dream about.  From the bottom of our hearts, thank you.  Sincerely, Pat Seitz
Kelly Schultz

Dear Ben.

  Hello..  I am trying to find out some information about my father Alvin J. Schultz who I believe served with the 517th..I will try to be as brief as possible. When my mother passed in 1987 my father finally told me that he was in a Special Forces unit in WWII. He would never speak of it much no matter how much I pleaded with him to tell me.  He would become very sullen at times and say that there has to be a better way than war as it is some of the most obscene things another human being can do to another.  There were times he did give me some vague ideas of service. He told me that he worked with a detached unit that worked closely with the French Resistance behind German lines and said that at one time he went after a French Official who was working with the Germans and that they "got" him. I believe this could have been Philippe Henriot the Vichy French propagandist. I have been told that he had a Spanish work permit to work behind German lines and that he could speak fluent German and Spanish as well as something about eating with his left hand.  It is amazing how I found that bit of information and a very long story.  Much too long to mention here. He said things about parachuting, blowing up bridges and being on the other side of a brick wall as he heard German Jack boots marching down a road. He also told me he was on the beach on D-Day with a green stripe on his helmet. I do not know the significance of the green stripe but perhaps you do. I have had his medals replaced and he has a unit citation for the Croix de Guerre and 4 bronze battle stars. Some of the photos he has have writing on the back and in one he wrote "the 517th, a tough bunch of guys." Some of the names written on them mention a Jimmy Peishong ( Pieshong) and Sgt. Hatcher. I guess I am writing to you in hope that you cam perhaps tell me what other specifics, such as unit he may have served with. So I can research further myself.  I have tried every avenue I can think of but because his records were involved in the Fire in St. Louis I have come to a dead end and don't know how to proceed. His DD-214 reflects service in France, Belgium, Rhineland and maybe others. I would like to know what battles he was involved in that merited the 4 battle stars.  Things like why no records were kept of his service. I would like to find some of the other brave men he served with and maybe why he is not mentioned in the 517th's roll call. And what the green stripe on his helmet was for on D-Day. Is it possible to have the Croix de Geurre replaced?  Many other things but I am afraid I have asked to much and have taken up too much of your time now. Sir, any help or advice you can offer me at this point would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much,

                                                                             Kelly Schultz
                                                                             835 Michigan Ave.
                                                                             North Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
                                                                                                             54937
                                                                             Tel. (920) 238-9895
Lea Bradovich
I'll ask my dad, John Bradovich about Alvin Schwartz.  I'll be speaking to him tomorrow.  Thanks again, Ben, so glad your online!  Mikael Soldi from the Liberation Museum in La Motte contacted me.  He is so helpful.  He has offered to meet with us (my husband and I) when we go to France this spring.   He was responding to my post on the 517th mail call.  I am moved and so grateful to have the opportunity to go to the place my father jumped in France.  He was wounded there, too.
I hope you are doing well today.
All the best
Lea Bradovich

Don Gentry
 Hey Ben, I wouldn't mind reviewing the records and pictures if you can get her to send copies to me. DGentry509@aol.com You didn't provide her email address and I'm reluctant to give a 'cold call'.

Somewhere in my archives I have some OSS files with names and areas served during the war. Alvin's reference to the 517th could be from an encounter with the unit rather than an assignment to it. In that case his statement means he knew what he was talking about.  "the 517th, a tough bunch of guys." Had he been a member it would it would go without saying. In any case I feel it worth checking further.

My best to you and yours!
Don
Steve Markle
No reference to the 517, but  will see what I can find... -Steve-

Rick Sweet
Hi Ben,
    After watching WWII in HD on the history channel I am left a little disappointed. Although it is a good series and showed film that I have never seen before it hardly mentioned the role of the paratroopers if at all. I will watch it again but I don't think they even mentioned Market Garden! My guess is that there were so many different outfits involved that they couldn't mention all of them but without the paratroopers the war might of gone in a different direction. With the great importance of units like the 517 prct they at least deserved an honorable mention. It is a shame that out of all of the programs that I have seen, only once have I heard of the 517th and that was when they interviewed Medal of Honor recipient, Mel " Bud" Biddle. Hopefully someday soon we will see the movie about the 517th on the history channel and the secret will be over. Attached is a picture of Mel and Morris McDowell that I took at the DC reunion. It should of been me!
After watching the movie I do have another comment. If I had been in the war I think I would rather be fighting the Germans then the Japanese. It seems that the treatment was better of our p.o.w's and the German's were not as fanatical as the Japanese. Besides that, I don't like the thought of being eaten by sharks after a ship was sunk from underneath me! Any comments?

Rick Sweet

I agree. It jumped around too much. - Ben

Chhris Lindner
Hi Ben:

In regards to Kelly Schulz's letter I would tell her to contact her Congressman.  That is where I started with my Dad while researching his WWII days.  Also, the fire in St. Louis is a big problem but if she has her Dad's service Number that would help a lot, if she has the DVD-214 of course we all know that would be great and her Dad's service number would be on that (not everything was correct on my Dad's DVD-214 and I also know that Darrell's DVD-214 has some errors in it all so.

In regards to the French Croix de Guerre that can also be replaced and the best place for that is the French consulate in Kelly's State that she lives in.

I sure hope Kelly finds out as much about her Dad as I did mine.

Chris
Giles Guignard
Dear Ben,

I have read the email about Alvin Schultz - I have checked my roster of the 1st Special Service Force and he isn't listed.
If all these details in the description are not too confused, he may have been a member of the OSS.
It could be very interesting to ask her for scans of the pictures she is mentioning, uniforms and landscapes could be of great help to identify his unit. At least it would be nice to see the picture related to the 517th she is mentioning.

Kind regards Gilles