From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:13 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1916- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 22, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Important for those seeking information about someone who may have been in the 517th. We may get information at a later date and unless you have indicated that you wanted to receive Mail Call, I may not have your email address.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Darrell Egner

Ben please put this in Mail Call.

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road
                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00

Menu:  Prime Rib or Chicken

Please every one send your money into Leila and make your Hotel Reservations ASAP.  The Hotel will not charge your credit card until you check out.  Leila has also arranged to have the Hospitality Room moved to the first floor for easy access.  It's directly under the room we used last year.

Leila puts on a wonderful Reunion and you could help her by registering as soon as possible so she can plan the Food and Liquor for the Hospitality Room.

Thank you,

Darrell
Egner

Kenton Floyd Immerfall

Dear Ben,

I've been sitting in the kitchen trying to write a "short" biography of my Uncle Floyd.  I have put this off for so long and it isn't any easier now that I have all sorts of documents and pieces of paper to look over.  Plus, I have to keep wiping tears from my eyes as I read something new I had not seen before about Floyd.  I have telegrams he sent to my father so that Dad could pick him up at a train station and, "DON'T TELL ANYONE - FLOYD," to articles about him being KIA in Belgium.  Nobody ever mentioned that he was sent to Ireland in 1940 or 1942.  Now I have more research to do.

But, the real reason I am writing to you this morning is to send you a piece Floyd wrote about how it feels to jump out of a plane.  I had not seen this Algona, Iowa, newspaper article, dated September 3 from Fort Benning, GA.  I believe that Officers' Training was there in 1942 so I will assume this is the year Floyd wrote this and sent it home.  I will do my best to type this just as the news article was written.  Maybe some of the Mail Call readers will find it interesting.

Here's How Paratrooper Feels When He Makes Jump Into the Thin Atmosphere.

THIS VIVID LETTER BY A PARATROOPER was written to his family without expectation of publication.  The writer is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Wyot Stott, of Portland township, and was born and reared in this county.  (Floyd was actually born in Nicollet County, MN.)  He volunteered for service in the national guard and in 1940 was sent to Ireland, but after a period there was sent home for officers' training at Fort Benning.  Mrs. Leo Immerfall (Darlene), wife of the county auditor, and Mrs. Vernon Peterson (Iola), Madrid, whose husband is employed in Ankeny, are his sisters, and a brother Merrill is a high school sophomore at Burt.

By Lt. Floyd Stott

Fort Benning, Ga., Sept. 3 - Today I made my seventh jump.  Up to this time, each jump I had experienced a feeling which is indescribable.  You might call it fear - yes, I guess that is what it was.  Honest paratroopers would call it that.  However, there are jokes and little songs that go around the group present.  Meaningless titters rise and you can readily tell everything isn't as it should be in an organization such as ours.  But there is really nothing seriously wrong.  It's just that we are making another jump, and some good fellow is uselessly trying to raise the spirits of his buddies.

We are briefed in the classroom upstairs above the hangar.  The mosaics are passed out to the men who are to jump.  The field that each is to jump on is pointed out - "H" field.  It is one not entirely devoid of trees and bordered on two sides by the Chattahoochee River - a deep old river 300 feet wide that has already claimed members of our branch of service.

On the Way.

Oh, well, little incidents like that add to our alertness and interest, and there is no going to sleep this afternoon.  When we are sufficiently oriented, the pilots and co-pilots who are to fly us over our jump area are brought in and are told what is expected of them.  They are also taking training.

No questions are left, so we trek downstairs and into a different hangar to get our chutes on.  Several stop for a drink of water.  They aren't thirsty.  Just a stall on time - thinking perhaps a few minutes might make a difference, and someone will change mind about our going up or the weather may not permit.

To you who have never left the door of a plane while it was in flight at 1200 feet, this will appear as cowardice, but it isn't exactly that.  And it isn't a feeling to be ashamed of.  We all feel it at one time or another during our career, but it's seldom you find one that will admit it.

Mae West Put On.

We put on our Mae Wests - remember what I said about the Chattahoochee?  Even though there is a patrol boat running up and down the stream, it is comforting to know you have about you the means to keep afloat; that is, if you make it down that far, and safely.

Next comes your main parachute; then your emergency.  It's all heavy - 37 pounds.

The harness fits exceptionally tight, but you don't mind when you understand that it has to be tight or there is danger of your parting from your chute when the opening shock takes place.  But it feels good when the instructor tightens the belly-band on the reserve chute; kinda fills up that empty feeling in the stomach.

What the Rope's For.

A long rope is tied on your left side, out of the way in case you have to pull your emergency.  There is a reason for this rope, too.  In case you make a tree landing, and are a long way from both tree-trunk and the ground, you can tie the rope on to your chute and slide down to terra firma.

Everything has been inspected, and we walk out on the runway to climb into our plane.  Number 53, it says, and it is nick-named "Barfly."  That's o. k. with us.  One plane is as good as another.  Only I wish those two buddies of mine were going with me instead of in another group.

We fasten our safety belts and take off with little time lost.  As soon as our wheels clear the field, we are allowed to unfasten safety belts and smoke.  Needless to say, everyone is smoking, either from the relief they derive from it, or just to help pass time.  For this is where time really hangs heavy on your hands.

Poising for the Jump.

Someone attempts a stirring paratrooper song, and a few heartless jumpers chime in.  But the feeling just isn't there.  Besides, those two motors are making a tremendous noise, and the craft is vibrating a great deal, plus your own nervousness.  Oh why, oh why did I join the paratroopers?  You ask yourself inside, but at the same time you look down at the faces and kid some guy about getting hold of a bum chute which probably won't open.

I'm the fourth to jump, and my turn is up before I know it.  The windows had previously been blacked out so we couldn't have the benefit of studying underlying terrain.

From the time I am called to the door, I am given 90 seconds to recognize the terrain below as I had seen it on the aerial photograph 30 minutes ago.  And did you ever try memorizing something when you were frightened?

I carried my little equipment bundle up to the open door, hooked my static line on the anchor line cable, stuck one foot in the door, got a healthy hold on a pipe, and peered out into the atmosphere.

There's Where to Land.

The propeller blast beats you in the face and it is almost impossible to see anything to the direct front because of it.  You look back into the plane at all of the fellows watching you.  There are three new students.  "Cheer up, Stott, look at those rookies back there.  How do you suppose they feel?  You're an old-timer."

With that on my mind, in addition to other things I take another look out the door.  Oddly enough, I feel better.  Sure enough, there is the bend in the "GET READY!"  "STAND UP!"  "HOOK UP!"  "CHECK EQUIPMENT!"  "SOUND OFF FOR EQUIPMENT CHECK!"  "STAND IN THE DOOR!"  "ARE YOU READY?"  "LETS GO!!!"

Eight More Seconds.

While the men are checking equipment someone compliments me on my boot shine.  You'd be surprised how a little thing like that helps when at the correct time.

Here's the intermittent stream which is my north limiting point, and the pilot has brought the ship down to about 800 feet and slowed down to 95 miles an hour, which is essential for jumping safely.  I count off three seconds to compensate for the wind drift, which is 134 yards for the altitude we're flying, then I kick out the equipment bundle.

Eight more seconds and Stott will go out!  I'm counting them to myself, and a multitude of things are going through my mind - not all sins, either.  Strangely enough I expect to live to make another jump.  I only wish this one were over a corn field back in Iowa instead of in Alabama.

Into the Atmosphere.

Here's the split-second for my jump!  I crouch down low, with my hands on the outside of the plane door; I look out into the horizon and make a vigorous leap into space, at the same time making a half-left turn, keeping my feet together, and ducking my head, so the connector links won't hit me in the back of my head and cut it open.

I reach the end of my 15-foot static line and the back-pad of the chute is jerked off.  The propellor blast picks up the canopy of my chute and whips it out over my head like a shot.  A terrific shock is experienced - but nothing ever felt better, because it means that the means of transportation to mother earth is in working order.

Now look up at the canopy and see if there are any blown panels.  Check oscillation and see where the hell you think you're going to land - not that you can do anything about it, can't even light in the river if you want to - lucky day!  Think I can miss those trees down there, too.

What a Bump!

Soon I'm 100 feet off the ground and am making the necessary manipulations with my risers so I will come in with the wind.  Bango!  I hit!  My poor legs must be broken!  But let's get up and give them a try.  Wait a minute - gotta get out of this chute first, and do it as if in combat.  Lie flat on back, unbuckle leg straps, unbuckle the chest strap!  Take off Mae West and rope, quickly roll over to right and assume firing position at anyone who may have run up by now intent on taking your life.

Why, Nothing to It!

All o. k., now you can get up.  Easy, now.  But hey, everything seems in order.  Legs navigating all right.  Why, there's nothing to it!  This parachuting is the life.  Run over to the gang, where everyone has his own way of landing and wants to expound to the rest.  Now wasn't that easy!

Another one coming next Thursday night.  Don't tell anyone, but every darn trooper who has to make that jump is worrying like a demon about how it will turn out.  But do you think you can tell it on him?  You can bet your boots that these men won't let you find it out if they can help it.

There's no getting around it - the best men in the service are in the PARATROOPERS,  that's my guess.  They're a fast-moving, hard-hitting outfit which is more than a novelty, and don't you forget it!

Well, Ben, that is an account from a brave man who wasn't afforded the gift to return to his loved ones.  As I read this a second and third time, I picked up on how proud my uncle was to be a paratrooper.  As those of you who jumped look through the paragraphs, I hope you will remember, fondly, those many faces of your Band of Brothers that stood beside you in defending this great nation.

Sincerely,

Kenton Floyd Immerfall