From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:15 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1918- 517TH PRCT-NOVEMBER 24, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road
                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00    More information Mail Call No 1916

Betty Traver

Myrle wanted me to email you so that you could relay his wishes to all of the 517th family, a "Happy Thanksgiving".
A note from me:  Myrle is having a slow recovery but is gaining each day.  This surgery really took a lot out of him and the doctor said that only because he is a fighter and continued his exercises was he able to pull through this.  He won't be home for Thanksgiving nor will he be home for our 67th anniversary but hopefully he will be home soon.
Betty Traver

Kelly Schultz
Dear Ben,

  Hello.. Wanted to let you know I received your emails regarding my request for information regarding my father Alvin J. Schultz.  First let me say thank you for your efforts to give me some of the answers I have been looking for.  I do appreciate it so very much..
  I would like to tell you that after some hunting today I was able to find his DD-214 and his Honorable Discharge Certificates.  Both give his Army serial # and, what I believe may be his organization and I will provide them here.. Army serial # is 36 826 242  and I will list the Org. information as written..   798 CO 517 PORT BN        Maybe this will help..
  I also was able to find his pictures that he brought home with him.  Many of them, I am guessing, were the "souvenir" type pictures that you could buy and many of them are from Holland.. But many are the ones I was referring to of the soldiers that he served with with names and little notes on the back and front.  Some are even of a football team of soldiers he may have played with as he was very athletic and played football and baseball for many years.  I unfortunately have no way to scan them for you at this time. But because it may be the types of things you and your website may be looking for to help make a permanent record of this I would be more that happy to send them to you for you to scan and use in any way you you would like . And it may help with my research as well. Please let me know and I will send them along with return postage for you.  I will also include copies of his discharge paperwork. Please feel free to contact me if you would like.
Thank you again very very much.

                                             Kelly Schultz
                                             835 Michigan Ave.
                                             North Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
                                                                               54937
                                             Tel. (920)-238-9895

P.S.
 Some of the responses that you forwarded to me were a little difficult to understand.  And I am unsure if they wanted me to contact them directly.  Can you please advise..

Contact them directly-Ben

Tom McAvoy
Harris Johnson, I have it on pretty good authority  that Al Dearing Regt. S-2 Officer (Capt) confiscated one of the Motorcycles, and had Oscar Kener jump with it on D-Day  8/15/44, Oscar was Dearing's interpreter

Tom McAvoy

Darrell Egner
Harris Johnson asked what happened to the motorcycles that the 517 liberated.  I don't know what happened, I just know we couldn't jump with them.

Hopefully the Stature of Limitations no longer apply so I will tell what happened to one MP's motorcycle.  We were on hill 1098 in the mountains above Nice and I went into Nice for R&R.  I was having such a good time I missed the Cattle Car (Bus) back to Hill 1098.  Needless to say I did not want to be reported as AWOL so I borrowed a MP's bike while he and several others were trying to break up a fight between some GI's.

I almost beat the Cattle Car to the top of the mountain.  Then I realized I didn't want to get my Buddy's in trouble when the MP's found their bike. I knew they would find it as my shiny boots were a dead give away.  What to do?  I did the only thing I could do and that was to run the bike over the side of the mountain.

This is a true story so I write this to add a bit of humor (I think) to Mail Call and to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Darrell
Egner

Gilles Guignard
Dear Friends of the 517th,

After playing around with my computer last night I finally found out how to publish short movies.
Here is a link to a short slideshow I made for our friend Howard Hensleigh.
(My next step will be to add some music background.)

I received a letter from our friend Allan Johnson today which included a photo
of Hal, Leo, Allan and myself at the dinner in Cannes last summer. We had such a great
time all together, I miss you all.

Allan, I still have in mind Mel Zais' words at the airfields in Italy you told me about:

I forgot I had filmed it here is the link!

 Kind regards Gilles
Chris Viller
Hi Ben,

thank you for the green light to use photos.
You will get a copy of the English Version of the Newsletter I published last summer.
I still didn't get any answer from Al's daughter among the fact I sent two mails explaining who I was & adding pictures...

The next issue in which I will introduce your testimony will be in French as I'm publishing it for our Members in the group here.
You'll get a copy as well . That might be early next year.

Best regards,

Chris

Rick Sweet
Hello Ben,
        Please pass this on to Darrell Egner. I have attended 2 of the national reunions, mostly because they were within driving distance. I live just north of Cincinnati in Westchester Twp. It took 8 hrs to get to D.C. and 5 to get to St Louis. I enjoyed both of them a great deal even though I was in much pain, but then who isn't? It was also great to do a little sight seeing, especially around Washington D.C. Mom just had knee surgery and was looking forward to attending a 517th reunion next year. I have told her so much about them and what a good time I had. I do like Florida, and I have never been to California but both of them will require a flight. Mom doesn't care much for flying but I will see what I can do. I'm sure that my wife would like to come. My dad died in 1959 and most of the things that I know about my dad's time with the 517th came from her. He wouldn't say much about the war, unless he had been drinking and then he would tell her about some of the awful things he had seen and done. It really affected him for the rest of his short life. I was four when he passed so I never had the opportunity to ask any questions about the war and his part in it. After finding the 517th website a few years ago, you guys have filled a void for me and I have also made a few good friends with other sons and daughters of buzzards. It's always a pleasure to meet and talk with all of you. I am sorry that it took me so long to find out about the 517th reunions. I would've become a part of it a long time ago. But better late then never.....If the national reunions are over then I will try to make it to the others...I hope Myrle Travers is feeling better and getting stronger. Any word from Betty?

SOB
Rick Sweet

Harris Johnson
A simple "HAPPY THANKSGIVING" is my wish for you and yours this year.

God Bless

Harris

Dennis Sura
Happy TG to the 517th members.  I was so happy to receive the DVD's in time for Xmas.  My sisters and I will again be able to recount the accomplishments of the members of the 517th.

Dennis Sura son of Michael A. Sura

Jay Sutcliff

Ben

This is an e-mail that is making the rounds, if you have not seen this, take a look, it’s worth it.

Thanks

All,

Rick, Bill and I had the pleasure of attending the South Carolina / Florida football game and the halftime celebration. I wanted to share with you 84,000 fans honoring the men and women of the military. We too often get caught up in the main stream media’s vision of America but let me share a few observations which will provide some hope:

·        Pre-game starts with a prayer were we ask God for his assistance and thank him for all we have. What a novel idea! Everyone stands and bows their head in prayer.  Halftime was like no other 15 minutes in recent memory: Each branch of the military was recognized and honored for their sacrifice.  Military heroes from multiple wars were honored. They had resumes of heroism that would humble anyone. It is truly amazing what some men and women will do for their fellow man.  The moment of silence was dramatic. Complete silence and everyone stood still. 84,000 folks singing “America The Beautiful” and “God Bless America”! Not a dry eye…  The student section was impressive: standing, clapping, singing  and respectful.   Halftime ended with the flyover of 3 F-16s. The roar was defying.

I cannot possible do halftime justice. Take a moment and watch the halftime video below. You will be proud of this country and the great men and women who serve.

 Frank