From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:04 PM
To: bcstew@gmail.com
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1920- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 26, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

It would be helpful if all mailers would use at least Font. 14. It makes reading  some what easier for some members.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road
                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00    More information Mail Call No 1916

I have received  a note from Leo Dean indicating that he has received mail from Brad Stewart requesting information about his father,  Mark Stewart, who was a Lieutenant in H Co.  Can anyone help? - Ben

Howard Hensleigh

Ben and Wayne Cross.  Thanks Wayne for finding this report.

Note regarding the 18th Corps report on the taking and holding of Manhay.

If they are interested in this old buzzard's view of that 18th AB Corps report, here it is.  Ridgeway ordered us (3rd Bn.), less G Co., to take Manhay "at all costs".  G Co. was guarding Ridgeway's CP.  He did provide a lot of preparatory artillery support, but some of the big guns waited a few minutes after the cease fire time limit, then continued to fire with their rounds also falling short and wiping out Lt. Stott's I Co. platoon which was leading the attack, Stott being among the KIA.  So, with two rifle companies, less one platoon, headquarters company, the 1st platoon of the 596th and a demolitions section from SERVICE COMPANY (emphasis purposely added for SERVICE COMPANY members and descendants) we took Manhay.  It didn't fall mainly to us to take the town, it fell entirely to us.  Anyone who wrote that we had tank support wasn't within ten miles of the action and had no knowledge of the facts; we had no tank support during the attack nor afterwards.  Rather than being attached to the 7th Armored Division, we must have been attached to the 3rd Armored Division.  When Bill Boyle reported to Maj. Gen Rose, 3rd Armored Division CO, he reported to him in his HQ in Manhay.  Manhay was then was lost to the enemy and we were ordered to retake it.  7th Armored Division at the time was being kicked out of St. Vith and later Dick Seitz and his 2nd Bn. cleared the way by taking the high ground unsuitable for tanks that allowed 7th Armored to retake St. Vith.  (Another clear indication that the writer of the report did not know what he was talking about.)  Then, what German units did we take the town from??  I do not see any mention of SS among the units we captured.  One of the 3rd Bn. bazooka boys disabled the SS commander's tracked command vehicle and I got a batch of Items out of it, including pictures I still have of him with his iron cross and SS retreat formations of the unit.  All the prisoners I sent back, and there were at least 50 of them, wore SS uniforms and were identified as SS troops in their "sold books".  Not all the prisoners made it to regiment as some tried to escape and made it successfully or were shot down by their 517th escorts to the rear.  The report does not state that we were bombed by our own Air Corps.  It also states that we received support of a tank platoon from the 7th Armored Division.  The only tank that came into town when we held it didn't stay long and provided no  support.  Before a 3rd Bn. S-2 patrol wiped it out, the Germans had an observation post that directed antitank fire right down the main drag of Manhay.  While this OP was in operation a tank buzzed into town stopping at the main cross roads.  A 517th trooper told the tank commander to get the hell out of there.  While he stood up in the turret and mouthed off to the trooper an antitank round hit him killing him instantly and throwing him to the pavement.  The shell, requiring a higher density impact to detonate, exploded as it bounced down the street beyond the tank.  The rest of the crew needed no urging to get out of town  and did not stay long enough for me to ask them what unit they were from.  It must have been from the 3rd, rather than the 7th, Armored Division, however, given the position of those units at that time.

Albin Dearing, regimental S-2, told me at the Albany reunion that while he was on Ridgeway's staff in Korea he had to point out a few facts to Ridgeway to raise the generals opinion of the 517th.  I can understand Ridgeway's love for the 82nd and 101st because of the way they were formed and his long time command association with them.

That does not excuse his failure to recognize or reward with citations the smaller units in his 18th Airborne Corps, nor does it excuse the sloppy misstatements of his own staff in writing up reports such as the one we have just read.

Howard Hensleigh

Oscar Knerr

Hi, Yes we had a Motorcycle in S2.  Why, I never found out.  BUT , since I would rather ride than walk, I managed to "get" it.  We did try to take it to S France.  The Captain insisted so we tied on a chute and tried to throw it out.  After going miles past the DZ, we finally managed to get it thru the door. I went right after it.  Never did find the darn thing.  Or the rest of my stick either.  By   luck, I joined  onto some Limeys  and made it to the DZ the next afternoon.  Oscar Knerr

 Lea Bradovich

Happy Thanksgiving Ben, thanks for your lifetime of  service, many thanks for this mail call.  Thanks to all the 517th, for your great sacrifice and service.  We are celebrating this day in a vibrant democracy because of you!
My husband and I are researching a trip to southern france, the lovely towns where the battles of WW11 were fought are often dominated by a castle.  Barons, lords, dukes, kings, these go way back into history, democracy is very new.  I am so thankful for our freedoms.
All the best to you always
Lea Bradovich