From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:24 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1920 1923- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 29, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

It would be helpful if all mailers would use at least Font. 14. It makes reading  some what easier for some members
Please do not  send downloads when just an email will do.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road
                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00    More information Mail Call No 1916

Wayne Cross

Ben a couple corrections to my last note.  First the Col. Howze referred to in the Monograph pertaining to the 1st Battalion attack at Soy-Hotton was not Hamiltion Howze but was his brother.  The second correction is that my Grandfather cautioned Lt. Col. Zais, not Col Graves against the attack on Bergstein.  At this time I believe that Lt. Col. Zais was the Regimental XO.  - wayne

Howard Hensleigh

Ben:  There is a good chance Wayne Cross's grandfather told more than Col. Graves that the Bergstein attack would look like the back end of a butcher shop.  I have a vague recollection that Tom said he told the Corps CO who requested paratroops for for what he considered an impossible mission.  The dates on Mark Stewart's morning reports match match the dates of the report Wayne would like me to look at, but I don't know how to access it from Wayne's reference.  If he or anyone else can send me the report, I will be happy to look it over.  The morning reports show that Scrappy Stewart was wounded at Bergstein three days after the fighting began.  He went from assistant platoon leader to platoon leader and may have become the company executive officer after that.  Jim Bennett commanded H Co. after Jackson left.  It is curious that some of the morning report entries are signed by Marty Fastia, who commanded I Co. at one time, but never had any connection with H Co.  "Lucky Jack" Jackson commanded H Co. shortly after the Jump into S. France until he got out on points in Joigny.

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Brad Stewart:  Scrappy was the nickname that followed your father into the 517th.  If he didn't jump with us into S. France, he must have joined us there.  My for sure recollections are around Joigny, France.  There will be some way I can copy the pictures and get them to you.  I had them here a few days ago, but they are back in Petaluma at my daughter's.  There were jump schools in Sicily so he may have gotten his wings there or been an instructor there.  Do you know where he went to  jump school?  If you can find his service record it will tell you quite a bit.  Best regards,  Howard Hensleigh

Partricia and Roland Orengo

Hello Ben and Bob

We read your last email and we bought on amazon the DVD "kings for forth" to watch it.
We will let you know if it was filmed around Sospel.
thanks for this information.

Kisses

Patou and Roland Orengo
Sospel, France

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Brad Stewart:

It just occurred to me that Edward (Ed) M. Athey, who was with H company all the way, would know your father.  Ed does not use the Internet, but you can contact him at 409 Shasta Ave., Yreka, CA 96097.  I'm sure Ed can give you more details of the H Co. action in which your father participated and a more definite date of his joining us.  I am quite sure it was in S. France since he is on the December 1944 roster.  He undoubtedly rode north with us in those 40&8s.  Although the authors of the Odyssey focused more on the 1st and 2nd Bns. you can follow the actions of the 3rd Bn. and H Co. in it.    I can tell you that H Co. did a valiant job at Bergstein, Germany and only 14 of the company walked out on their own feet when we were relieved.  If your father was reluctant to talk about  this operation, I can well understand it.  Howard H.

plastictank has made a comment on 517th PRCT History - Part 1:

These men were first class soldiers. A-1 elite men of the US Army and they need more respect and attention from history. Just because nobody featured their unit in a Spielberg movie nobody seems to know about them. Lets give the "Battling Buzzards" and the other less-well-known Airborne units of WW2 some well deserved attention! These men of the 517 fought in Italy, Southern France, Belgium (during the Bulge), and in Germany and were at sea on their way to jump into Japan when the war ended!

Plastictank is just the name of some guy, probably a re-enactor.  Not sure if it’s anyone we know.  Probably not.- Bob Barrett

Kenton Floyd Immerfall

This is a link to a "possible" member of the 517th.  Mr. Edmund C. Powless does not appear on any 1944 Christmas Rosters but that doesn't mean he wasn't a member at one time.

I called and spoke with the wife (Blanche) of Edmund a week after he (and two others) was awarded the French Medal of Honor.  She seemed thrilled that I called but said Edmund is very hard of hearing and she was going to call me back and we could possibly meet.  I wanted to give him the 517th hat I picked up in Salt Lake City plus show him the three books I purchased about the 517th and other artifacts.  So far, no contact from the Powless home.  I tried your 517th Search engine and a hit came up that a grandson sent years ago.  I emailed that grandson but he did not answer either.  I guess I'd like to be certain that Edmund Powless was a member of the 517th before I pursue any further contact.  Any ideas?

The local Green Bay Press Gazette newspaper as well as the Oneida Nation of Wisconsin newspaper (the link provided here) had a very nice write-up about all three men.  I found it interesting that at least one of these men (Mr. Powless) did not tell the truth about his age when he signed up.  And then he became a minister.  Too funny!

Let me know if I should pass this along to Thunderbolt!

Thanks for all you do for the 517th...Kenton Floyd Immerfall

Bob Barrett

Kenton,

You looked in all the right places to see if there is any record.  I did not find any either.  One other place that I check is the casualty reports (They are scans of paper records like the Dec 44 roster, so they do not show up in the Search.)  But we only have the casualty reports for I Company until August 44.  Again, no record.

The bio does not mention Southern France, so he could have come in as a replacement later, but then I would expect him to be on the December roster.  Maybe he came in even later.  But for him to serve in “the Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe”, I would expect that he would show up in either the December roster, or in the list of Decorations.

Memories are generally fuzzy.   But he does seem certain about enlisting young and about being a paratrooper, and the locations could be correct.  So it is impossible to tell for sure.

Bob Barrett

B Shortt

Could you add my address to the list?

Ralph Peavey [yyz@windstream.net]