From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:37 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1926 -- 517TH PRCT- DECEMBER 3, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Please make reservations for Florida Reunion Jan. 16, as soon as possible . Host has to make  down payment  for banquet.

Please do not  send downloads when just an email will do.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Gilles, 517th prct ,Guignard

Dear Friends of the 517th,

Here is a link to a video-slideshow I made about the ceremonies
in St-Cezaire last August.

Here is the link:

Kind regards, Gilles

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:

Wayne Cross sent me for comment the Advanced Infantry Officers Course 1948-9 submission of Capt. Roland L. Gohmert on the attack of the 3rd Bn. at Bergstein.

 My initial comments are that we owe Capt. Gohmert a debt of gratitude for making this report part of our 517th PRCT history.  It is the most detailed account I have read.  Although the 3rd Bn. may be more thoroughly covered, the parts played by the other two infantry Bns. and the the 460th and 596 are not omitted.  The author gives a realistic account of the condition of the battalion when we were thrown into this attack as well as the torturous struggle of the depleted units of the Combat Team to reach the objectives they were ordered to take.

I have a problem with Gohmert's  billing himself as the 3rd Bn. communications officer as I am quite sure Tommy Priest held that slot all through combat.  Gohmert may have been Tommy's assistant platoon leader, or there is a possibility that Tommy became a full time executive officer of HQ. Co. with Gohmert heading the communications platoon.  Tommy held down both jobs for a long time.

I must repeat that the 3rd Bn. was the last serial in the Combat Team convoy, with each serial leaving one hour after the one ahead of it hit the road.   We left in the very late afternoon with less than an hour before we were driving blackout through devastated places like Aachen, and made it to the Bergstein area before anyone else.  The guide that was sent back to divert us to detruck at Kleinhau didn't get to us and we detrucked very close to Bergstein itself before day break.

If Scrappy Stewart did not wish to discuss his combat experiences with his family, Bergstein is good reason.  We saw from the morning reports that he was wounded there and went through the hell that almost wiped out H Co.  He was one of many and my big loss was our 460th liaison officer, "Woody" Woodhull, who was cut down by a burst of machinegun fire right beside me while we directed artillery in support of the attacks of G and H.  Another big loss was Jim Birder, I Co. CO, KIA by a mine, and Pazinsky (sp?) CO of G Co. was relieved and Steele, the Exec. of G Co. was overcome by emotion and combat fatigue before he could take over command of the company.  The same losses went down through the ranks of the entire outfit as we pulled the chestnuts out of the fire for the outfits that were to make the main attack while we fooled the enemy by making them think we, the paratroops, were the spearhead of the main attack.  The author mentions that Col. Graves was not told that we were ordered to make a diversionary attack, and I must say that this is SOP, standard operating procedure.  It is my understanding that a commander ordered to make a diversionary attack never should be privileged to such information, as it would spoil the operation.  If all you were to do was make a farce of an attack to fool the enemy, the enemy probably would catch onto the farce and be looking for something else.  Sherman said, "War is Hell!" and from the hell we endured at Bergstein, we can be proud that we pulled off a successful diversionary attack.  That is the only upbeat thing I can say about Bergstein.

Howard Hensleigh

Rick Sweet

Hello Ben and everyone, I just want to say how glad I am about Mryle Travis feeling better and getting out of the hospital. I have been praying for him and hoping to see him and Betty sometime again soon. I wish you a swift recovery Mryle and many more years to enjoy your friends and family. I hear that the dvd about the 517 is being sent out, is this true? If so I can not wait to get it. I will finally be able to hear some of the men's stories. I am too big to sit on their laps to listen! Betty Thank you for keeping us posted about Mryles condition. I am looking forward to seeing you both again.

Rick Sweet

Lory Curtis

Ben,
An Army buddy of mine sent this to me on how to access our DD-214 Discharge papers on line. Thought our 517th family might be interested in the electronic access.

Lory Curtis

Stephen Jackson

DD-214

Please pass on to other vets.

It's official; DD-214s are NOW Online.

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s

online: http://vetrecs.archives.gov/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes.  NPRC is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents.

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized.  The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and processing time.

Please pass this information on to former military personnel you may know and their dependents.

Random World War II Quote

"First they were too cowardly to take part. Now they are in a hurry so that they can share in the spoils."
- Adolf Hitler, about Mussolini declaring war on France and Great Britain