From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:56 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1930 - 517TH PRCT- DECEMBER 9, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Please make reservations for Florida Reunion Jan. 16, as soon as possible . Host has to make  down payment  for banquet.

Please do not  send downloads when just an email will do.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

 Dear Ben:

Note to Lory Curtis regarding Bob and Lt. Steele:  These were two distinctly different individuals with the same last name.  My guess is that Bob was one of the 18 year olds selected by Bill Boyle in the very arduous selection process used by the 517th until the Army told Col. Lou Walsh, after first and second Battalions were filled up, that he had to accept any trooper who had made it through jump school.  This meant that first and second battalions got many members straight from the induction centers and took them through basic training and qualified them as jumpers.  Mel Zais, third battalion commander, did interview everyone sent by the jump school, but he was required to be less strict on the troopers he selected from candidates that had already taken basic training and were qualified jumpers.  Some of these men had been in the army a year or two before volunteering for the paratroops.

Bob passed Bill's tough selection process and justified his commander's judgment when he challenged his commanding officer to have the guts to save his own life and then helped prop him up as they went through the knee deep snow to complete the job.  This is a great credit to Bob Steele with no disparagement to Bill Boyle.  Bill, while critically wounded and who would have bled to death in the snow without Bob's challenge and assistance, had one objective in mind.  That was what was best for his battalion in a critical combat situation.  He ordered Bob to disregard his situation in order to get immediate word to Don Fraser to take over command of the battalion.  Bob disregarded that command and killed two birds with one stone--getting word to Don and saving Bill's life.

Several years in age made a big difference in the rolls we played in WWII.  Although a few of us, like "Sweetpea" Renton, were commissioned as teenagers, most of the lieutenants were in our early twenties.  Lt. Steele was probably in his mid twenties and as a first Lt., executive officer of G Co.,  he expected the second lieutenants to salute him.  Although we may have complied at times, we usually went by the rule that rank among lieutenants is like virtue among whores.  (Please pardon the language, but this is how we put it.)  Lt. Steele had an excellent singing voice which we usually appreciated.  But on occasion, such as when we were awakened from two hours of dead sleep in the middle of the night to strike tents and move to a new location, after our 50 mile forced march on Tennessee maneuvers without food or water, he would bellow forth with "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning"  and we were grateful that the troops did not have live ammunition.  Steele was a good officer who made it all the way through to the last days of our combat but then broke down at Bergstein.  I now have more understanding and sympathy for those who did not survive those terrible days of the "diversionary attack".

Howard Hensleigh

Chris Lindner

Hi BB and Ben:

I thought you might want to take a look at my second jump !!!!!!!!!!

Have a good one.

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt4U-M_FB_8

Virginia Jorgen

Speaking of Pearl Harbor Day ,if anyone's interested, in Los Angeles I was working on a report for UCLA on the history of the King James Version of the Bible when my father came home from playing golf and told me and my mother about the bombing of Pearl Harbor.   I also lost a Christmas job at a department store because they decided to close at night because a blackout was expected on the west coast , which to my recollection never happened.   That was my first job, too.  I had worked one day, the day before.

Virginia Jorgen

I wonder if many are interested in and read Mail Call. Since I have had the following in Mail Call No. 1919, I still have received many many  emails with the same Hoax.

I have received the information below many times.  It  is a Hoax.

Isn't is amazing how a film could last so long in a camera without disintegrating?

Fantastic photos taken 68 years ago

 PHOTOS STORED IN AN OLD BROWNIE CAMERA
Thought you might find these photos very interesting; what quality from 1941. Pearl Harbor photos found in an old Brownie stored in a foot locker. And just recently
Taken to be developed.
THESE PHOTOS ARE FROM A SAILOR WHO WAS ON THE USS QUAPAW ATF-11O.
I THINK THEY'RE SPECTACULAR!
PEARL HARBOR
December 7th, 1941

A few errors in above mail. It was not a sailor who filmed  the pictures.

It was Superman!

He would have had to be at Pearl Harbor aboard his ship, on the ground,and aloft in an airplane. All while the attack was in progress.

The USS QUAPAW ATF-11O. was not built until well after Pearl Harbor attack
The photos are accurate, but have been in news reels and various publications many times- Ben