From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 7:28 PM
To: Tmroberts@vci.net
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1935 - 517TH PRCT- DECEMBER 14, 2009

Hello                     http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Please make reservations for Florida Reunion Jan. 16, as soon as possible . Host has to make  down payment  for banquet.

Please do not  send downloads when just an email will do.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Betty Traver

Ben,
Myrle is back in the hospital as of last night.  His blood sugar was so low that the paramedics said he needed to go.  The doctor had changed his diabetic medicine and he had a reaction to it so they are going to keep him until they can stabilize his blood sugar.  I saw him late this morning and he looked and sounded better.  I will keep you posted on his progress.
 Betty Traver

Howard Hensleigh

Ben,  My remembrance of Olvie Nunnery is slight.  What I do remember is that he had an excellent reputation as a sergeant and if I recall correctly was an excellent marksman with a rifle.  I think he killed a German soldier in Italy at a range of over a mile.  He came to us after receiving a battlefield commission as a Lt.  And, again as I recall that was after most or all of the combat was history.  I know Mel Zais had high regard for him and I think he is praised in one of the books that cover the 517th.   Howard Hensleigh
                                             ***********

Could this be Olvie Nunnery?
Ben

Jay Sutcliffe

Brad Stewart,

I went in to see your father form the pictures I sent, titled “Trooper 6” and could not find.  The reason being is Bob Barrett had already updated and your father is now listed!!  These Barrett’s are really something, the time and effort that they put into this website, e-mails etc, is incredible!!!  Dennis Sura, your father is also listed.

Thanks Bob, Ben

Training and WWII Photos

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Nance B. Cohen re Lt. Peche.

I remember Lt. Peche very well as he was S-2 of 2nd Bn. when I was S-2 of the 3rd.  He and I drew assignments to orient the Armored Infantry outfits that replaced us in S. France, so we were up in the mountains another ten days while the rest of the outfit was down in the Nice area before we loaded onto 40&8s to head for Northern France.  I think he was promoted to S-3 somewhere along the line and he may have been S-3 of 2nd Bn. during all or part of the S. France campaign.  I remembered him as S-2 so, at a recent reunion I asked Dick Seitz if Peche was his S-3 and he said he was.  Although I have had no contact with him at any reunions, he is listed in our roster:  Peche, Ferdinand E., 106 Martisia Way, Satellite Beach, FL 32937 and probably still gets the Thunderbolt.  If you make contact, let us know.   Howard Hensleigh

Helen Beddow

Lt. Peche's grandson was in my choir at Benedictine Military School here in Savannah.  Phillip (which I believe is his grandfather's name also) graduated from Benedictine in 1995 and is in the military.  I will contact him to see what he knows regarding his grandfather.

Helen

Gilles Guignard
Friends of the 517th,

Here is a video I put up for our friend Lt Lud Gibbons H & I Co
during his visit in Southern France in August 2009.

Here is the link:

You will see him on the 3rd Bn DZ near Callian, commanding the
Airborne Reenactors Platoon in Le Muy and being awarded
the French Legion d'Honneur medal in Le Muy.

Hope you enjoy it.

Kind regards,

Gilles

Today is Monday, December 14, 2009

Today in
World War II History

1896 - Gen. James H. Doolittle, who led the first air raid on Japan during World War II, was born.

1939 - The Soviet Union was expelled from the League of Nations.

1945 - Josef Kramer, known as "the beast of Belsen," and 10 others were executed in Hamelin for the crimes they committed at the Belsen and Auschwitz Nazi concentration camps.

1999 - U.S. and German negotiators agreed to establish a $5.2 billion fund for Nazi-era slave and forced laborers.

Random World War II Quote

"My strength has now been reduced to the equivalent of 36 squadrons...we should be able to carry on the war single-handed for some time if not indefinitely."
Sir Hugh Dowding - RAF Fighter Command - May 1940