From: Benedict Barrett [ben517@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:09 PM
Subject: MailCall No. 1971 - 517 PRCT - February 26, 2010

Mail Call : Bob Barrett  MailCall@517prct.org

Hello,

For the time being, I will continue to read and send all 517 MailCall news.  I certainly won't be as prompt or as tactful (or as cynical) as Ben managed to be, but I will do my best.   Please continue to send us news about yourself and any items of interest to the 517th family.  Ben would expect nothing less from all of you.

Administrivia:

Please note the new address for MailCall:  MailCall@517prct.org  I will also continue to search Ben's gmail and AOL accounts for a while as well.

Donations for any programs involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

I think this MailCall has caught me up for all the items received to date, but I have probably missed or lost a few things.  Please resend anything that you want to add for the next MailCall.

I am sorry for the long length of this MailCall, but I wanted to get caught up as quickly as I can.

Bob Barrett

Website                       www.517prct.org
Mail Call
MailCall@517prct.org

John Bradovich, HQ Company, Demo Platoon
Gary L. Davis, F Company
Le Muy infos magazine - selected pages of the August 2009 celebration
Kenneth Goodbrake, Reg. HQ, Demo Platoon
Floyd A. Stott, I Company bio

MailCall news:

All the Barrett's want to thank everyone for all their prayers and thoughts and offers of assistance over the past few weeks.  You can't imagine how important that the 517th family has been to Ben, especially over the past 20 years of reunions and visits and MailCall correspondence.

The very last thing that Ben asked for, when he had no strength left, was to have us help him get up one last time to sit at the computer and read his emails.  You all meant so much to him.  Please honor his wishes and keep the news coming.

We continue to receive messages and cards.  I have included a pile of those emails at the end of this MailCall, but there are so many that I can't even keep track, and apologize for those that I missed here.  Our favorite note, which says it all is the first note from Claire Giblin.

Regular MailCall matters:
From Richard Seitz
Feb 24 (2 days ago)
This email for Howard Hensleigh.  Howard thank you so very much for the info on Admiral Mullens uncle.  You are truly outstanding and i appreciated so very much your quick help.  I am scheduled to attend a ceremony  at KSU in Manhattan where the Admiral will be the speaker.  The powers to be have allowed me time to present on behalf of the members of the 517th a copy of Paratroopers Odyssey and information concerning his uncles service with the 517th. In the first page of the Odyssey I have quoted your remarks concerning his uncle, you relation with the uncle, you position in the 517th, your law profession and your address.  Howard , again my bet thanks. With profound admiration.  Airborne all the way! Dick

Hello,
I would like to be added to mail call. Thanks!

Alex Fulle
rattrap87@runbox.com

Hello again,
It has been a while since I had been in touch.  My father, Roger Scherer was with the 517th and greatly enjoyed the Thunderbolt and his memories of his friends from the past.  All of his stories were of the people, in the unit and those he met overseas, and the friendship and caring those gave him.  This past year we spoke of his honeymoon in 1946.  It was amazing to me that their big trip was to see his wartime friends, William Berry and Harold Tober, at their homes.  For many years after the war, he and mom received cards, letters and announcements from the family in Nice that he met during the war.  All of these things just reinforced to me how special all these soldiers were in an unimaginable time.

Sadly, I lost Dad this past Veterans Day.  He was not looking forward to his 91st birthday on November 14th...Mom had passed away the previous summer and he was tired and missed her.  Appropriately, he passed away peacefully in the early hours of Veterans Day and was laid to rest, with military honors, next to his beloved Jeanne on his birthday.

To all the veterans and their families, words can't express the gratitude felt in my heart, for all your dedication and caring.  My father was, and always will be, my example of what we should strive to be.

Sincerely,
Susan Scherer-Clark

To Ben and Family

I am so sorry to hear of your ongoing illness.  My father was in service company and you added his picture to the gallery several years ago at my request.  Thank you for all you have done for all of us who had family in France and Italy.  My dad was in five major battles and even though it was not on the site for the holders of the Silver Star he did get one.  I finally for my Mother and after numerous attempts did get my father's medals.  All of his were stolen when he was on the way home from Europe after Normandy.  I also acquired the Diploma from France for my Father's participation in the Liberation of France in WWII.
You did not most likely know my Father but you would have liked him.  We would ask him questions about the War but he could never talk about it.  The things I know are things I found in old letters and newspapers after his Mother, my Grandmother passed away.
Bless you Ben for helping us find our Father's because those that were there mostly could never really talk about it.
You have the heartfelt adoration of my family.

Sheila Goodman Dorssey  daughter of Pvt  Howard Bernard Goodman Service Company

PS I copied the Christmas card from Hell for my Mother she is still living and has all my fathers ribbons, medals and such in box frames.

Sheila

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who
no longer understand it.'

hey Ben -

So glad to see you're home!  I know you gave the nurses in the hospital a run for their money but even you would tire of that game after a while.

Great to get a Mail Call - but I did want to let everyone know that Leo Dean, the secretary-treasurer, is looking into the tax return question raised in an earlier Mail Call.  The clerkship, too, is in Joanne's good hands.  Worry not -

Love that we added Kait Saltzer to the mail list.  Those of us in France last summer would remember Kait and her family, also making the trip of a lifetime in honor of her grandfather.  We enjoyed happy hours around the pool - she so loved meeting the 517 troopers.  I'm attaching a photo, but I don't know if it can get in Mail Call.

We are getting teeming rain here in New Jersey today - melting the piles of snow.  Ugh.

Have you made your reservations yet for Palm Springs, everyone?  They are planning a fabulous time!

The Thunderbolt is AT the printer!

Claire

Claire,

I read Dad your email.  He said that you have been saying that The Thunderbolt has been at the printer for 3 months!!!  He can't wait much more !!
Joanne

Ben,

The T'Bolt is, indeed, at the printer.........Helen, being the "perfectionist" she is, is still crossing the "t's" and dotting the "i's"..........I am hurrying, Ben, hurrying very fast.  I can only imagine the number of times that I will get bolts of "nudges" from heaven (that would be you, Ben) telling me to hurry it up, and not be so persnickety with everything.  What am I going to do without you?

Thanks for everything you have done for the 517th, and for me.  Huge hugs and love to you and your family.  God Bless you.

Helen

Joanne and Bob:

I mentioned to Dad that my neighbor Pierre fought for the Belgians in the Big One, WWII.  Dad wanted to know if he stayed with Irma.  Sherry asked Pierre and this is what. He said about what he did in the war.

Paul Barrett