517 PRCT - MailCall No. 1991, April 25, 2010

Mail Call: MailCall@517prct.org

Administrivia:

¨     If you have trouble reading this MailCall, or seeing the images, you can read it online at http://www.517prct.org/mailcall/1991.htm

¨     At any time, if you want to be added or removed from the MailCall list, just let me know.

¨     Donations for any programs involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany NY  12203.

¨     New address for MailCallMailCall@517prct.org  I will also continue to search Ben's gmail and AOL accounts for a while as well.

¨     If you send me email that you do not want included in MailCall, just label it as “FYEO”.

¨     I now understand how Ben could get confused about what he already posted and what he didn’t.  If I miss something, please just send it again.

¨     My apologies for not getting the MailCalls out as often as I would like.  There are a LOT of news and photo items sent in recently and I won’t even get to mentioning them all in this MailCall.  I am including time-sensitive stuff, but a lot of photos still need to be posted to the website before I can show them in a MailCall.  (Sorry, Gilles, but don’t let that stop you from sending more.)  I will get to it all eventually.  Also, between heading to DC later this week for Ben’s ceremony, and some necessary travel for work (yes, I do have a paying job that needs my attention), I will probably get even further behind over the next couple of weeks.  Be patient.

Bob Barrett

Website                                           www.517prct.org

Mail Call                                   MailCall@517prct.org

Mail Call Archives            www.517prct.org/archives

Roster                            www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Recent website additions:

Robert Kennedy, F Company biography

Ray Hess, F Company biography

1943 May 10 - Letter to parents of new recruits from Lt. McKinley

Officers of the 2nd Battalion at Camp Toccoa, 1943

Arlton Bearden, Demo Platoon, I Company (KIA Italy)

Video of A Company in Italy, Aug 14, 1944

Le Muy infos magazine - selected pages of the August 2009 celebration

MailCall News

Hello Ray,

As promised here is a picture of you in the best size I was able to find.

This great scan was provided by Wayne Cross.

Kind regards Gilles

Dear Bob.

Here are scans of Pvt Calvin W. Schroeder's scrapbook.  The other pages of the scrapbook, which I did not scan, are from his brother Bob who was in an army artillery unit.

Pvt Schroeder was a part of Lt Athey's band, who came in Southern France by glider.

The link to the story is:

http://www.517prct.org/documents/1944_august/aug_1944_gliders.htm

Pvt Schroeder was wounded twice; once in Southern France on September 8th 1944 and again in Germany in Feb 45.

Kind regards Gilles

[Gilles recently acquired this scrapbook on eBay.  I will include these photos and newspaper articles onto the web site soon -- BB.]

Hello,

My grandfather, Ernest (Al) Blockey Jr., served in E Company of the 517th from 1943 to 1946.  Growing up I knew he had served, but was too young to appreciate or understand what that meant and was always under the impression that it wasn’t my place to ask until shortly before he passed.  The day he passed was the only time we every really discussed his time in the service, he had a small box of pictures and souvenirs from his time in the military that we went through and discussed.  Since then I have realized how foolish I was for never talking to him about his service and over the years have grown increasingly interested to learn more.

Recently I found this website and have looked for everything I could find, but the only way I felt I could really learn and understand my grandfather’s story was to hear it from him, in his writing or stories he told, or to hear it from someone he served with.  This last option is where I hoped you might be able to help me, if there’s any stories and memories that you can gather for me about my grandfather it would mean so much.

Here’s some of the key information I could gather:

He was 18 when he signed up for the Army.  From his discharge papers I know that he was inducted June 30, 1943, entered active service on July 13, 1943 and then left for Europe on May 17, 1944. While in Europe he served in Rome-Arno, Southern France, the Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe.  On December 22, 1945 he left Europe and he was discharged on January 10, 1946.

If there is any other information that I can give that would help, please let me know.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

J.C. Blockey

(406) 580-3110

jcblockey@hotmail.com

Dear Bob,

Here are pictures of our friend Mel Dahlberg for the 517th Website.

PFC Mel Dahlberg, 1st Platoon Scout, F Company

Kind regards Gilles

[2 more photos included, which I still need to post. -- BB]

Dear Bob,

Here are pictures from Marc Paoli, a friend of the 517th from France.

Pictures show the arrival of supplies and replacements for the 517th in Nice, fall 1944.

Kind regards Gilles

[Wow.  I can't keep up with Gilles and his friends these days.  But I won't lose the info.  I'll get all this posted onto the website soon. Here's just one.  -- BB]

Dear Gilles,

Thanks for the pictures which were taken when Red Meline and I were far away up in the mountains around Sospel orienting the outfit that replaced us, while the rest of the outfit was in Nice camped out and living it up.

Red and I did have one advantage.  When the 517th was finally relieved, after ninety some days on the lines without relief, the rest of the outfit with all they could carry on their backs took a hike from around Sospel to the Nice area (a NICE area in several senses of the word).  When we finished our ten extra days in the mountains, we rode to Nice in a jeep, arriving on Thanksgiving day.  Sorry boys the turkey was all gone.

Thank you also for the post card with pictures of all the wonders of the Riviera, in which you were joined by one of Don Fraser's lovely Auxiliary members.

One of your best pictures is of the underpass which was a much safer path forward in the attack than going over those railroad tracks in south les Arcs.  Glad you found it as it will be a landmark for years as the rest of the scenery of that attack changes to make room for industry.

Our blessings on your medical studies and your avocation as the 517th's representative in Europe.

Howard Hensleigh

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-II-Photo-X2-US-Paratroopers-Naples-Italy-1944-/260588308511?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cac46081f

They might be 517th troopers.  I have attached the pictures to the email.

Kind regards, Gilles

[These certainly have that shaved head look, just like some of the other 517 photos from the crater.

See: http://www.517prct.org/photos/doty.htm   -- BB]

[with apologies in advance to our French friends...]

From: jerry wofford

Subject: Fw: Phenomenal French missile with pin-point accuracy

General DeGaulle would be so proud......

Short video...

Phenomenal French missile with pin-point accuracy.

We've made fun of the French military for too long.

The accuracy of their missiles are second to none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyckQQWIJ0I

[Actually, these guys are French Canadian.  -- BB]

Hi Bob,

Been reading a lot during the last weeks, excellent information. Thanks for the help so far.

I still seek some information about the events from 12th of september to 20th or so. Hope it's ok if I ask some additonal questions.

1. The german reports states that Hill 1098 was on US hands, and was recaptured by the germans.

    "Paratrooper's Odyssey" doesn't mention this, only shifting of positions.

2. Was "F" company alone on Hill 1098 from 12th until 15th, or did it have support elements from 460. or 596th?

    Some sources says Hill 1098 was occupied by elements from II. and III. bn.Any thruth in this?

3. I know it is emotional, but do you know of any US WIA/MIA/KIA from this battle? The germans lost 2 KIA.

Best,

Frode Steine

frode@perzmo.com

> Frode,

> To learn about the battles at Hill 1098, you should start with the  517th history book.

> See:

> http://www.517prct.org/documents/odyssey/paratroopers_odyssey.htm#the_fight_for_col_d_braus

> Bob Barrett

Frode,

I am sending your question on to the 517 members in my next MailCall message.  Hopefully, someone can answer your questions.

Bob Barrett

The video upload process is finally complete.

Online you’ll find all 24 interviews, The Wedding Story video, and A Cut Above.

http://vimeo.com/the517th

Could you put a permanent link on the top of the 517 web site?

Best Regards,

Wade Gilbert

(888) 999-6564
(954) 630-9797
(954) 202-1899 Fax

Dear Sir,

Together with my co-author I produce & publish a series of military vehicle books entitled 'Panzerwrecks'. As the name implies our subject matter is wrecked German tanks. We have reached book 10, with more planned.

We are currently looking for copies or scans of private photographs of wrecked German and Allied armored vehicles taken by those who were there, for use in our books. Would you permit us to publish a request in the mail call? If so, please let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Lee Archer
http://www.panzerwrecks.com

Mr Barrett and members of the 517th PRCT,

In order of my research about the Battle of the Bulge in the region between the Aisne and Ourthe rivers, I would like to address  this request to the members of the 517th PRCT-group.

The first battalion of the 517th played a crucial roll in stopping the German advance in the Hotton-Soy area, from 21 to the 26th of December 1944. I'm looking for personal accounts/remembrances of those who were there. The smallest memory can be of immense help to me. In cooperation with members of the 290th regiment I was able to reconstruct the 24-31 December period and now would like to add/match the part of the 1.517th.

The Junkers 88 crashed on 24 December 0300 at the Quatre Bras crossroad, has been identified for 90% certainty. I'm sure members of the first battalion must have seen the wreck.
All remembrances/information concerning the Quatre Bras, La Roumière, Bois des Hys, TF Mize, Soy, Hotton, Ny, Melines,.... is much appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Lest we forget,

Dieter Laes, Belgium

helaes@gmail.com

Hi Bob,

I read Robert Kennedy Biography sent in by his daughter Sandy Alderman.

Sandy,

My dad Jim Sutcliffe (H Company) lived in Camden and worked in New York Ship and did basic training at Ft. Dix, at approximately the same time as your father. Check out the photos that are posted on the 517 website and see if your father is in one of them.  My wife’s grandmother retired from Campbell Soup (35 years). Small world

http://www.517prct.org/photos/jay_sutcliffe/jay_sutcliffe.htm

New Guestbook Entries

Submitted by

Comments: