517 PRCT - MailCall No. 1992, May 3, 2010

Mail Call: MailCall@517prct.org

Administrivia:

¨     If you have trouble reading this MailCall, or seeing the images, you can read it online at http://www.517prct.org/mailcall/1992.htm

¨     At any time, if you want to be added or removed from the MailCall list, just let me know.

¨     Donations for any programs involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany NY  12203.

¨     New address for MailCall MailCall@517prct.org  I will also continue to search Ben's gmail and AOL accounts for a while as well.

¨     If you send me email that you do not want included in MailCall, just label it as “FYEO”.

¨     I now understand how Ben could get confused about what he already posted and what he didn’t.  If I miss something, please just send it again.

Website                                           www.517prct.org

Mail Call                                   MailCall@517prct.org

Mail Call Archives            www.517prct.org/archives

Roster                            www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Recent website additions:

Robert Kennedy, F Company biography

Ray Hess, F Company biography

1943 May 10 - Letter to parents of new recruits from Lt. McKinley

Officers of the 2nd Battalion at Camp Toccoa, 1943

Arlton Bearden, Demo Platoon, I Company (KIA Italy)

Video of A Company in Italy, Aug 14, 1944

Le Muy infos magazine - selected pages of the August 2009 celebration

MailCall News

I am going to send out a short MailCall tonight just to get it out.  I was traveling for work last week, then home briefly just to turn around and head to DC for Ben’s service this past weekend.  I am home now unpacking and packing again to head back on travel all this week.  There is a lot more stuff to post and I will get to it all.  Some interesting stuff to come.

Bob Barrett

PS:  Thanks to everyone who attended Ben's service in person or in thought.  It was a very nice tribute.

You are invited to view rbarrett's photo album: bens_ceremony_at_arlington

Apr 29, 2010
by rbarrett

View Album
Play slideshow

Message from rbarrett:

Photos from Ben Barrett's ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery.

If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=rbarrett3776&target=ALBUM&id=5466822711998751377&authkey=Gv1sRgCIzI9oLy0fqhnwE&invite=CIKX8fUP&feat=email

Dear Barrett Family:

I wish I had the fortitude to speak at the memorial of how much your father meant to me. Unfortunately, I do better at cocktail parties! I feel so blessed to have known your father. He was the most decent man I have ever known.  I felt he treated me as a part of his family. He was an example for all fathers. I wish I had a opportunity to have met him earlier. The words that were spoken upon his tribute was very moving, and yet I am glad that when Bobby spoke he unintentionally broke the ice and we all had a good laugh. I truly feel Ben is in heaven slapping the backs of all the fallen heroes. They are looking down upon us, and they know that we are grateful of their sacrifice.

I respect you all and hope to continue to keep in touch.

Ben's groupie,

Teresa Messina