517 PRCT - MailCall No. 1994, May 12, 2010

Mail Call: MailCall@517prct.org

Administrivia:

- If you have trouble reading this MailCall, or seeing the images, you can read it online at http://www.517prct.org/mailcall/1994.htm

- At any time, if you want to be added or removed from the MailCall list, just let me know.

- Donations for any programs involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany NY  12203.

- New address for MailCall:  MailCall@517prct.org  I will also continue to search Ben's gmail and AOL accounts for a while as well.

- If you send me email that you do not want included in MailCall, just label it as “FYEO”.

- I now understand how Ben could get confused about what he already posted and what he didn’t.  If I miss something, please just send it again.

Website                                           www.517prct.org

Mail Call                                   MailCall@517prct.org

Mail Call Archives            www.517prct.org/archives

Roster                            www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Recent website additions:

Robert Kennedy, F Company biography

Ray Hess, F Company biography

1943 May 10 - Letter to parents of new recruits from Lt. McKinley

Officers of the 2nd Battalion at Camp Toccoa, 1943

Arlton Bearden, Demo Platoon, I Company (KIA Italy)

Video of A Company in Italy, Aug 14, 1944

Le Muy infos magazine - selected pages of the August 2009 celebration

MailCall News

I am slowly catching up on MailCall news.  However, I am behind in getting to some photos and magazine articles that have been sent to me for the web site.  Wayne Cross sent me some 2nd Battalion photos from Camp Mackall and Steve Markle has a lot of stuff that he collected at the Palm Springs reunion. I expect to get to most of that this weekend.  On the home front, I am changing jobs.  While the last few months have been hectic at home and work, I am taking a little time off in between jobs just to get organized and to spend a little time with the family.  Once I start the new job, things may get crazy again. But keep the news coming!

One last time, the entire Barrett family wants to thank everyone from the 517th and friends who attended Ben’s ceremony in DC last week, as well as all those who sent their wishes and thoughts about Ben.  You are all part of our family.

-- Bob Barrett

Dear Bob and Joanne:

The moving comments in today's Mail Call from those who had the privilege of being with your family as your Dad was buried at Arlington and the reception and dinner thereafter expressed the heartfelt feelings of all of us.  What gifts of eloquence they have. Thank you again for your generosity in including the Seitz clan in this time of honoring your Dad and sharing memories of him.  We are so grateful that through your remarkable Dad, who has made such an indelible impact on all of us, we had the opportunity to meet his wonderful family.  Thank you.   And thank you for keeping Mail Call going. The U-Tube video was very inspiring.

Sincerely,

Pat Seitz and Alan Greer

Thanks for sharing the photos and information about Ben's memorial service.  It meant a great deal to all of us.  He was very special.

John Krumm

Hi, Bob -

I am so grateful to the entire Barrett family for hosting such a large and open gathering for Ben's farewell last weekend.  It was a truly special time with friends, and it was a fitting tribute to his life and contributions.

Eight members of the 517 attended: Merle McMorrow, Richard Seitz, Darrell Egner, Gene Frice, Hal Beddow, Leo Dean, Allan Johnson and Lud Gibbons, accompanied by a large number of family and friends.  In fact, the people at Arlington kept commenting on what a large group we were.

Shari's pictures (Bob - am I spelling it right?  Sherry?  Please correct me!) are incredible, and thank you for sharing them.  The honor guard did their duties with amazing precision and dignity.  The ceremony closed with what I believe was a three volley salute (seven service members firing three times simultaneously), and "Taps" by that lone bugler.  It was an experience I'll never forget.

We are all privileged to have known Ben, and those of us who were able to travel for his funeral are honored to have been there.

Claire Giblin

Mr Barrett,

Thank you for the magnificent work you with the Maill Call. With this, I got in touch with the nephew of PFC George Cavnar of Regimental H.Q. about the battle on the "Haid Hits". I am most positive the account of PFC George Cavnar of Regimental H.Q will be of great interest in my research.

I noticed the “Christmas-roster” file isn’t searchable. I processed the pdf file I found on you site, so that it is searchable. I think it could be useful of having a searchable version on your site too.

Thank you!

Dieter Laes, Belgium

[Dieter has now supplied us with a SEARCHABLE Christmas 1944 roster When you view this pdf version, you can click on the binoculars and search for anyone by name.  Don't forget that some names are spelled wrong, so try a few variations.  --BB]

Dieter,

Thanks for the searchable roster.  I am very surprised at how well the search works, considering the very poor quality of the scan.  This booklet was one of the first items that I posted on the web site 10 years ago, back when I had to fit everything into a 10 MB limit.  So the scans were not only poor quality, but I had to dumb down the resolution to make the images smaller.  I do now have a good quality paper reproduction of the booklet – they are often available on eBay – so I will rescan it someday.

But for now, your searchable version is great.  That will work for 99% of what people need.  Thanks!

Bob B

Please change my mail call address from scottross4@comcast.net to scott@ross-wa.net.

Thanks

Scott Ross

Hi,

I don't know if the other email went through, but did you get this article, can you see it?  Please confirm receipt.

-Teri Marrone

Commemorative Airborne Jump Team (CAJT)

[Teri was at Ben's ceremony in DC last week, and she showed me copy of this magazine article about the CAJT re-enactment at the 2008 St. Louis Reunion.  It is now on the web site. -- BB]

 http://www.517prct.org/reunions/2008_st_louis/warbird_magazine.pdf