517 PRCT - MailCall No. 1997, May 28, 2010

Website                                           www.517prct.org

Mail Call                                   MailCall@517prct.org

Mail Call Archives            www.517prct.org/archives

Roster                            www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

Recent website additions:

Don Fraser's CP near Col de Braus then and now

Warbird Magazine article about the 2008 St. Louis Reunion

Robert Kennedy, F Company biography

Ray Hess, F Company biography

1943 May 10 - Letter to parents of new recruits from Lt. McKinley

Officers of the 2nd Battalion at Camp Toccoa, 1943

Arlton Bearden, Demo Platoon, I Company (KIA Italy)

Video of A Company in Italy, Aug 14, 1944

Le Muy infos magazine - selected pages of the August 2009 celebration

MailCall News

The following addresses have been bouncing for the last several MailCalls.  Their mailboxes may be full, they may have changed their email address, or maybe they are just not reading their emails.  If anyone knows the story, let me know or give them a push. -- BB

The following addresses failed:

blchestnut@aol.com (Bruce Chestnut)

bojoco@att.net (Bobbi-Jo Spencer)

wwyatt4880@aol.com (Willard Wyatt)

caseybennion@aol.com (Shanna Cronquist)

ebgear@optonline.net (Raymond Gearon)

9leilani3@coosnet.com (Virginia Jorgen)

marienbad@webtv.net (John Marienbad)

gema979@aol.com (Florence Mehegan)

rayhessr@ptd.net (Ray Hess)

Hi everybody,

VETERANS, FAMILY, FRIENDS,

PLANNING TO COME THIS YEAR FOR THE 66th ANNIVERSARY OF AIRBORNE OPERATION DRAGOON SOUTHERN FRANCE "D" DAY ARE VERY WELCOME TO CONTACT US AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR HOTELS AND HOSPITALITY HOME ACCOMODATION
WARMEST REGARDS TO YOU ALL , HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON,

MICKAEL AND ERIC,
anvil-dragoon@hotmail.com

cabrian9@aol.com

LE MUY AIRBORNE MUSEUM CURATORS ,
CELEBRATION CEREMONY ORGANISATION
le MUY France

Bob:

I was talking to a fellow from California the other day and he asked if I by chance I knew a Major Russell Brami.  I told him I did and he said Russell was his commanding officer during the time he was in service.  This was during the Korean war.

He said he kept in contact with him for awhile but found out recently that Russell died about 2 years ago in the Kingwood, TX Senior Living Center.

Back in 2000 Russell was living in Florida and was President of the Florida Chapter of 82nd Division Association.

Before his death the city of Kingwood honored him and the newspaper article had coverage relating to his service in the 517th.

                                                Merle Mc Morrow

Russ Brami, of E Company, 517 - Rome, 1944

War hero honored for legendary service

The Tribune (Kingwood, TX)

Monday, November 12, 2007
Mary Kelly Bumbaugh

Maj. Brami awarded five purple hearts

Residents and guests of Silverado Senior Living - Kingwood gathered on Nov. 11 to honor resident Maj. Russell M. Brami U.S. Army, retired for his distinguished 20-year military career.

Following presentation of the colors by the Kempner High School Air Force JROTC Color Guard, son, Jeff Brami, said, “We are here today to recognize veterans and my father who is a living legend. He is one of the last remaining heroes of WWII and the Korean War.”

He introduced Major Brami’s grandsons T. J. Brami and A. J. Brami, step-grandson Taylor Wimberg, granddaughter Emma Brami, and daughter-in-law Tonya Brami, and thanked Rachael Kleczkowski, Silvarado administrator, and Marion Nixon, volunteer/bereavement coordinator.

On behalf of U.S. Representative Judge Ted Poe, Jessica Wellington, district director Harris and Liberty counties, read a proclamation stating, “Nov. 11, 2007, is an official day to recognize Major Brami for his service to America.”

On behalf of Houston Mayor Bill White, Gwendolyn Condoleo, community liaison mayor’s citizens assistance office, said, “It is a privilege to be here, to remember veterans and those serving today.” She delivered a proclamation declaring Nov.11, 2007, as Major Brami Day.

Grandson Sgt. 1st Class Aaron J. Brami, of the Florida National Guard Special Operations Detachment Central, displayed a framed commemorative case he had made that contained all of Brami’s medals and decorations and presented it to him. They were: five Purple Heart medals, two Bronze Stars, a Bronze Star for valor, three Bronze Stars for combat jumps, Army Commendation Medals, two Combat Infantryman Badges, Master Parachutist Badge and numerous others.

On behalf of the family, Tonya Brami thanked the audience for their support.

MILITARY HISTORY

Brami enlisted in the infantry during World War II and was assigned to the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team. He saw action in the Italian Alps and jumped into southern France shortly after D-Day.

In l944, Brami fought in the battle of Bastogne (the Battle of the Bulge) and was cited for valor in combat in Belgium. At age 24 he was the youngest regimental sergeant major in the Army and was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, 325th Parachute Infantry Regiment and the 187th Regimental Combat Team.

During the Korean War, Brami was awarded a rare battlefield commission and served as platoon commander.

He trained in jungle warfare, however his career was cut short by an accidental explosion that resulted in amputation of his hand. This was one of five injuries for which Brami was awarded five Purple Hearts.

After retirement in l963, Brami served as an executive with Goodwill for 20 years and was active in many military organizations and reunions.

He has five children and eight grandchildren. Brami, son Russell M. Brami Jr. and grandson A.J. Brami represent three generations of Army paratroopers. His son Jeff served in Vietnam as a reconnaissance Marine.

From Teresa Mesina (our favorite flight attendant):

~~~~This Memorial Day~~~

MAY GOD BLESS THIS AIRLINE CAPTAIN:

He writes: My lead flight attendant came to me and said, "We have an H.R. on this flight." (H.R. stands for human remains.) "Are they military?" I asked.

'Yes', she said.
'Is there an escort?' I asked.
'Yes, I already assigned him a seat'.
'Would you please tell him to come to the flight deck. You can board him early," I said..

A short while later, a young army sergeant entered the flight deck. He was the image of the perfectly dressed soldier. He introduced himself and I asked him about his soldier. The escorts of these fallen soldiers talk about them as if they are still alive and still with us.

'My soldier is on his way back to Virginia,' he said. He proceeded to answer my questions, but offered no words.

I asked him if there was anything I could do for him and he said no. I told him that he had the toughest job in the military and that I appreciated the work that he does for the families of our fallen soldiers. The first officer and I got up out of our seats to shake his hand. He left the flight deck to find his seat.

We completed our preflight checks, pushed back and performed an uneventful departure. About 30 minutes into our flight I received a call from the lead flight attendant in the cabin. 'I just found out the family of the soldier we are carrying, is on board', she said. She then proceeded to tell me that the father, mother, wife and 2-year old daughter were escorting their son, husband, and father home. The family was upset because they were unable to see the container that the soldier was in before we left. We were on our way to a major hub at which the family was going to wait four hours for the connecting flight home to Virginia .

The father of the soldier told the flight attendant that knowing his son was below him in the cargo compartment and being unable to see him was too much for him and the family to bear. He had asked the flight attendant if there was anything that could be done to allow them to see him upon our arrival. The family wanted to be outside by the cargo door to watch the soldier being taken off the airplane.. I could hear the desperation in the flight attendants voice when she asked me if there was anything I could do.. 'I'm on it', I said. I told her that I would get back to her.

Airborne communication with my company normally occurs in the form of e-mail like messages. I decided to bypass this system and contact my flight dispatcher directly on a secondary radio. There is a radio operator in the operations control center who connects you to the telephone of the dispatcher. I was in direct contact with the dispatcher.. I explained the situation I had on board with the family and what it was the family wanted. He said he understood and that he would get back to me.

Two hours went by and I had not heard from the dispatcher. We were going to get busy soon and I needed to know what to tell the family. I sent a text message asking for an update. I saved the return message from the dispatcher and the following is the text:

'Captain, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. There is policy on this now and I had to check on a few things. Upon your arrival a dedicated escort team will meet the aircraft. The team will escort the family to the ramp and plane side. A van will be used to load the remains with a secondary van for the family. The family will be taken to their departure area and escorted into the terminal where the remains can be seen on the ramp. It is a private area for the family only. When the connecting aircraft arrives, the family will be escorted onto the ramp and plane side to watch the remains being loaded for the final leg home. Captain, most of us here in flight control are veterans. Please pass our condolences on to the family. Thanks.'

I sent a message back telling flight control thanks for a good job. I printed out the message and gave it to the lead flight attendant to pass on to the father. The lead flight attendant was very thankful and told me, 'You have no idea how much this will mean to them.'

Things started getting busy for the descent, approach and landing. After landing, we cleared the runway and taxied to the ramp area. The ramp is huge with 15 gates on either side of the alleyway. It is always a busy area with aircraft maneuvering every which way to enter and exit. When we entered the ramp and checked in with the ramp controller, we were told that all traffic was being held for us.

'There is a team in place to meet the aircraft', we were told. It looked like it was all coming together, then I realized that once we turned the seat belt sign off, everyone would stand up at once and delay the family from getting off the airplane. As we approached our gate, I asked the copilot to tell the ramp controller we were going to stop short of the gate to make an announcement to the passengers. He did that and the ramp controller said, 'Take your time.'

I stopped the aircraft and set the parking brake. I pushed the public address button and said, 'Ladies and gentleman, this is your Captain speaking I have stopped short of our gate to make a special announcement. We have a passenger on board who deserves our honor and respect. His Name is Private XXXXXX, a soldier who recently lost his life. Private XXXXXX is under your feet in the cargo hold. Escorting him today is Army Sergeant XXXXXXX. Also, on board are his father, mother, wife, and daughter. Your entire flight crew is asking for all passengers to remain in their seats to allow the family to exit the aircraft first. Thank you.'

We continued the turn to the gate, came to a stop and started our shutdown procedures. A couple of minutes later I opened the cockpit door. I found the two forward flight attendants crying, something you just do not see. I was told that after we came to a stop, every passenger on the aircraft stayed in their seats, waiting for the family to exit the aircraft.

When the family got up and gathered their things, a passenger slowly started to clap his hands. Moments later more passengers joined in and soon the entire aircraft was clapping. Words of 'God Bless You', I'm sorry, thank you, be proud, and other kind words were uttered to the family as they made their way down the aisle and out of the airplane. They were escorted down to the ramp to finally be with their loved one.

Many of the passengers disembarking thanked me for the announcement I had made. They were just words, I told them, I could say them over and over again, but nothing I say will bring back that brave soldier.

I respectfully ask that all of you reflect on this event and the sacrifices that millions of our men and women have made to ensure our freedom and safety in these United States of AMERICA .

Foot note:
As a Viet Nam Veteran I can only think of all the veterans including the ones that rode below the deck on their way home and how they were treated. When I read things like this I am proud that our country has not turned their backs on our soldiers returning from the various war zones today and give them the respect they so deserve.

I know every one who has served their country who reads this will have tears in their eyes, including me.

Prayer chain for our Military... Don't break it!

Please send this on after a short prayer.. Prayer for our soldiers Don't break it!

Prayer:
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'

Prayer Request: When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our troops around the world.

There is nothing attached. Just send this to people in your address book. Do not let it stop with you. Of all the gifts you could give a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & others deployed in harm's way, prayer is the very best one.

GOD BLESS YOU!!!

I would like like to tell all my favorite veterans Happy Memorial Day!!

Chris Lindner

Subject: 517th Don Fraser's CP near Col de Braus then and now

Hello,

I was there last week and happy to find the spot,

Kind regards Gilles

To all my HERO'S out there in the 517th.........REMEMBERING YOU AND ALL YOUR FALLEN COMRADES THIS MEMORIAL DAY

I miss you Dad

Love to all of you, Melanie (Davis), daughter of Gary Davis F-company

Fred D. Waites, PFC Headquarters Co.

I think dad would like to receive e-mail. He can be reached at fredwaites@hotmail.com

FYI and this can be shared.

Dad is doing OK. He is now 86 and dealing with many of the normal problems folks of his age contend with. He has been long retired from his career of over 40 years of teaching and coaching high school sports, mainly football. After leaving the service, he entered the University of Mississippi on the GI Bill and an athletic scholarship in both football and baseball. He later transferred to Mississippi Southern College where he attended, again utilizing the GI Bill and on a football scholarship. He was a two year started at offensive guard. After graduation he took his first teaching job at the now defunct Woodland HS in Woodland, La. He and the principal, along with the help of the entire community built a football field and started that school's first football program .... 6 man football. In 1954, he was chosen for the football coaching vacancy at Dutchtown HS in Prairieville, La. where he spent 11 years as a HS teacher and coach. In 1966, he accepted the football coaching job at Assumption HS, in Napoleonville, La. In 1972 he retired from teaching in Louisiana and moved to Holtville , Alabama where he coached football and taught for several years. He retired from the Elmore County education system having also served as Principal of Wetumpka HS and on the country staff. Up until 2008, he was an avid "Beagle". His "Eagle Claw" Kennels became renown for its quality field trial hounds, having earned several Field Champions. In May of 2009 his wife of 60 years, Dora Belin Waites , passed away. He now resides with his son in Trussville, Al.

He often tells the stories of his experiences during WWII. I especially enjoy his description of the jump into southern France and that first day on the ground. How afraid that he was that the plane would be shot down. When it came time to jump, he and another guy had difficulty getting a pack off supplies out the door. It had jammed on the rail. When the pack let loose, all 3 went out together. Dad was upside down and when the shoot opened it snatched him so violently that he lost about everything he had on him. He hit a stone wall when he landed and busted his nose. He grabbed for his carbine ... it was gone. But he had "come across" 1911 45 cal. in Italy and that had to do for now. So he got out of the parashoot and ran for cover and hid out, awaiting daylight. Later that night, he heard a guy walking close by. Not knowing friend or foe, he raised his 45 and said "Lafayette". He was expecting to get a response of "Freedom". The guy on the other end was stumbling trying to recall the password response and finally yelled out "France"! Dad shouted back, "No, Lafayette!" to which he got the response, "Hell, is that you Fred?". It turned out to be his pack-jumping mate! They scurried off together under the cover of darkness and eventually found a few more guys early the next day. Later in that first day dad retrieved a BAR from a wounded soldier and toted until he traded to another trooper for a Garand and 6 fresh eggs. He has said many times how he'd like to know who that guy was, and give him a thanks because that was the finest shooting Garand he had ever come across.