From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 7:26 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: (no subject)
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

PLEASE SEND ALL PAYMENTS FOR THE REUNION REGISTRATION TO THE ARMED FORCES REUNIONS

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:
                            Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

                            Washington, DC National Reunion   June 27 - July 2

Click on these Links for Forms and Information

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form

Recent website additions:
New 517th Guestbook!
Ernest Morrison and Bill Lewis, HQ/2
Jesse O. Goswick, G Co.
517th Headquarters Signpost
History of the 517th Patch
Blue Book Magazine articles - 1947-1948
Joyce Turco

 Hi Ben,
So far I have not had any problem receiving your E-mails. I have been on AOL for years. I do enjoy catching up on the lives of our friends. Some not too happy news but expected at our ages.
Keep well and give everyone my regards when you attend a reunion.
Joyce Turco   (widow of Leo Turco).
Robert Cooper

 Ben:
I have been receiving Your E Mail will notify AOL

Shawn Smith

Dear Ben,

Clint Miller son of John G. "Buck" Miller, was kind enough to send me a higher resolution scanned photo of my uncle Frank Barringer.  It was taken from his 517th Co. “C” group photo.  Frank Barringer was killed April 13, 1945 Toulon, France while attached to the 45th Infantry Division, 179th Infantry Regiment Company “F”.  He is buried at Rhone American Cemetery, Draguignan (Var), France.

Regards,

Shawn

Ben,

I was hoping you could also add the attached photo of my uncle Frank Barringer to update his photos.

Thanks,

Shawn

Mark Landreth

Dear Ben; Lou Darden's transcript of the video he shot of James Bradley brought tears to my eyes. I hope it can be posted to the website for people to enjoy. I was away on business and was unable to attend, but he spoke in my hometown, Tallahassee, on the 62nd anniversary of the invasion of Iwo Jima, something he highlighted at the beginning of his talk. His father's comment regarding the heroes being those of your comrades who did not return, mirrors those of my father, after he finally began to tell me some of what the 517th went through and what you accomplished. Simple words of thanks for what y'all did are not enough, but until I think of something some thing more eloquent, please accept my humble appreciation for the sacrifices of good and decent young men who did far did more than should be asked of anyone. My thanks to each and every one of you. mark

Lucky Hiers

 Dear Ben:

GREETINGS from a part-time Florida Cracker and part-timer Colorado ski bum.  I am forwarding an Email to you that I just sent to Don Gentry.  It should explain my long absence from Email.  I trust that the Lord blessed you with an excellent holiday vacation.  I still can't figure out how you keep up so well with MailCall!  All I can say is God bless you and people like you.

Since we have finally taken care of income tax preparation, from our jaunts across the U.S., and I have just completed 30 days of therapy (due to spinal stenosis/lower back pain) we, meaning Billie and myself, are getting back into the swing of things, we have lots of questions to answer from MailCall.  I would like to respond to members of the 460th as requested.

As you will see in the letter I wrote to Don ... we have started on my bio.  I am trying to keep it as brief as possible, and to keep it as accurate as possible, concerning specific incidents that happened during combat situations.  Unfortunately most of the pictures taken of me while overseas are still in Florida (I think).  I did not have time to dig them out.  When we return to Florida some time this year, which I hope will be right after the reunion, I will try to collect any pictures I can and you have my permission to put them in MailCall.

You should feel free about including any letter, or any part of a letter, you think pertinent to your readers, into MailCall.

Are you planning to attend the national reunion in DC at the end of June?  We have our hotel reservations tied down and also some of the extra activities offered.  Major Foster and his family, and my daughter and husband (Lane and Dan Martin from Winchester) plan to be with us some time during the reunion.  Since this will be my first reunion with the 517th I am looking forward to just shaking hands with old war buddies, and newer friends like you.  Hope you will be able to attend.

Best regards from both Billie and myself.
Lucky Hiers, Airborne
                                                 *************
Your bio will be placed on the website under Meet the Troopers

Walt Smith

 AOL, dear Ben, is a problem plus to such a chore of 350 addresses to different servers as you have.  THIS NOTE IS JUST A GRIPE WITH AOL, NOT A MISSIVE FOR OUR WEBSITE.  I too have problems with AOL but not to your extent.  The "New AOL" claims to be free and strictly seems to be adding more and more advertising to cover the so-called free AOL.  Even though I have AOL at a bargain through my previously employer, id est $11.95, Their so-called free AOL still bills me every month.  Other problems still pop up which are too many to mention.   I am considering other avenues, perhaps Roadrunner.  We shall see.  Good luck, Ben, if enough of us call and complain we hope to see better days.
                                                               **************
To get free Aol you have to call AOL and ask for it. It is not automatic. AOL saying advertising will cover the cost is malarkey. When you get free AOL,
 you get no service.- Ben

Guestbook entry. Added: February 26, 2007

Name: karen hook
From: columbia, sc
E-mail: hookk@bellsouth.net

Does anyone have any information (ie war stories, army stories, etc.) about my
father, Walter G. Irwin? As with most soldiers, we heard very little if anything
from him about the war. He passed away years ago, in 1984 and I don't know
anyone now who can tell me. Many thanks for anything you can relay to me.

Karen Irwin Hook

Lt. Walter Irwin, the S-2 of 2nd 517, Huertgen Forest, 1944.