From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:07 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1416 517TH PRCT-0CTOBER 21, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I have just forwarded to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts M.G.L. Corporation Annual Report in order to keep our non profit status in force. Future officers take notice.

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.   Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Gene Frice

To all 517 Troopers, family, friends, and supporters.

  I hope by now you have received a copy of the 517th History, DVD,
"Wings, Boots, Guns and Camaraderie", Portland, Oregon reunion
attached.

  Many have inquired as to where their requested copy has been?  As I
recently explained, It has taken the last year, or more, for the
production team of Don Adamski, myself, Karen Wallace, Wade Gilbert,
and others, to get it to your hands. We have now developed the fine
tuned (?) mechanics of getting it to you. If you desire additional
copies, please do the following:
    1.  Get in touch with Karen Wallace,  by email    (KWallawal@aol.com).
    2.  Or, write to her at: Karen Wallace,  66295 Highway 20, Bend,
OR  97701; and forward $ 5.00, for each additional disk. Many paid and
requested disks at Portland, or WA DC, if so-you are "paid."
    3.  The work of our DVD "task force" was free. The cost of the DVD
(some four dollars and something) was intended for the cost and
mailing of the disk. The outstanding label was developed by my mad
scientist friend, Don Adamski   (dfadamski@comcast.net).   The DVD
disk, the jewel case it arrived and the mail cost of four dollars
(something) each disk, was provided by Wade Gilbert. Our choice of a
five dollar "non profit" cost was a wild guestimate. Not a bad deal!
  I have received several comments regarding how we could have done
better. One comment was that humor or "effects" in the disk could have
been left out. A second comment related to not identifying more
individuals or more details relating to specific units in the disk.
          My only reply to both comments can only be - the disk was
produced with the knowledge, "war is hell." We know that. To exhibit
war for it as it really is - not the only medium to relate the history
of the 517th to our children, and others, who have not faced that
terror. We do not need to be more explicit. My reply to the second
comment concerning identification of individuals and units in more
detail - we endeavored to avoid excessively personalize individuals
except to add some variety in the scope of the tale.

  If you have an opportunity to converse with Don Adamski, Karen, or
Wade; please extend your thanks for their hard work and an excellent
product.

  See you in Mississippi.    God Bless

Gene Frice, F Company

Boom Boom Alicki

Pray for President Bush as he considers candidates for the important post of Secretary of Veterans Affairs, now that Secretary Jim Nicholson has stepped down.  Pray that God will lead the President and members of his team to the best candidate for the job.

Flave Carpenter Jr.

Howard,

Thank you for your kind words. I very much appreciate you and Ben readily sharing information on dad.  It was that insight that allowed me the opportunity to get dad to share with me many of his service experiences that up to that point he had buried. In many ways it brought us closer together not only as father and son, but man to man, and friend to friend.

I have always had a great deal of respect for dad and that extends to you and all the troopers of the 517th along with everyone who endured the time and trials of the period.  Tom Brokaw has it right...You are the "Greatest Generation."

Sincerely,

Flave Jr.

Howard Hensleigh

Ben:  Thanks.  Very interesting.  I see you were regular army and beat me into the service by about 3 years.  I don't know  what we lost in the fire at St. Louis but they still have a lot of info on us,  Highest regards,  HH
                                                       ***********
I forwarded to  Howard our enlistment records. Ben

Frank Ramos

Question 1:  I have a starting point to secure Medals earned during WW II as a member of the 517th PCRT to your request that "it would be helpful to some troopers to know how to obtain the awards they earned":  Go to: http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/   The website format will show the following options given each set of circumstances members may have.  I found my brother's records and secured his medals for the various campaigns including his Bronze Star from these sources.

Question 2: That is concerning finding a keynote speaker,  I am working with Claire to do just that.  It is a little early to get a firm commitment from some individuals I have in mind as they may be involved in the Presidential election cycle year activities and scheduling becomes an issue for them.  I hope to use that same leverage to secure a speaker for you, possibly from Missouri.

I am presently in Florida until October 30 when I will return to Virginia.  I scheduled discussions with some individuals in to determine their interest as a keynote speaker  for the St. Louis event.  I already have a point of contact at the VA HQ's to try secure a senior official to address their services venue to you in a venue. I shall be contacting them upon my return to the Washington, DC area.

Best

Frank
Guest book entry

Someone has just signed your guestbook!