From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:57 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1479 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 26, 2008
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203

 You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

When Weather Changed History:  The Battle of the Bulge

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (
cover, article)

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

I am just back from Florida and what a fantastic job Leila Webb and Donna Hilliard did hosting the Kissimmee mini reunion!  As always, a great time was had by all!

Lt. Gen. Seitz was there, along with former president Gene Frice and current president Darrell Egner.  Hal Beddow made it from Savannah, Phil McSpadden from his Florida place, and Leo Dean from Albany.  Leo did NOT get to make a skydive this time because of high winds, so I am sure he'll be on the hunt at Palm Springs and St Louis!  Donna - could you put the whole list of attendees in Mail Call?  I will forget people if I rely on my memory!

We still have three reunions in front of us, because Donna and Leila have committed to January 2009 for the next Snowbird Mini!  Now is the time to consider hosting the June-July 2009 reunion - the 65th anniversary of the summer of 1944.  Armed Forces Reunions, Inc makes it as easy as possible - start thinking NOW about coming to St. Louis this summer and about hosting our 2009 reunion!

On to Palm Springs and then - can't resist -

Meet us in St. Louis!

Claire Giblin

Theresa Wilnar

Hello Ben,

Beg your pardon for not responding earlier, yes, I would love to be added to the Mail Call roster.  Please also send me information on where I can send some funds to support the website.  The website is absolutely amazing.  Thanks to you and your son, Bob, for all your efforts on www.517prct.org

Because the 517th' audio account of Manhay is so much more interesting than just about every story on the Veteran's History Project with the Library of Congress (http://www.loc.gov/vets/stories/), I would recommend submitting the audio.  Although the piece is not in LOC's desired format, the interaction of the veterans amongst each other (e.g. Gibbons and you), the clarity on the audio and the vividness of the miserable conditions of being on the Line is unsurpassed from anything I've heard on the Library of Congress.  Please let me know if you would like me to look into the submission process.

Please tell Howard Hensleigh that I have the picture with Paxton, Bob, Hooper, Spencer and Howard during the Battle of the Bulge on my computer.   The one thing about the picture is you all look so young to have that much responsibility.

Because my grandmother and her three sisters were fortunate to live within blocks of each other in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's in a little town called Coronado just outside of San Diego, I did get to see Uncle Bob on occasion when I visited my grandparents each summer.  Bob was retired by then.  He had a big family; six girls and one boy with his wife, Ethel.  The first daughter (Sister Susie) has been a nun in a Japanese orphanage for the last 40 years.  He and Ethel also had identical twins girls who joined him in the military tradition and both became military doctors.  Unfortunately, I knew nothing of Bob's military history when I was a kid.  It was not talked about.  Most of my knowledge has come from the 517th website.

As I have explained to my children so many times....the soldiers who fought in WWII gave up or were willing to give up all their tomorrows so that we could live with freedom everyday.  Please keep writing and documenting your experiences with the 517th.  It continues to give me great appreciation for all that we have in this country.  The sacrifices are quite humbling and give me a huge dose of perspective to my every day life.
    *****************
Theresa
  We do not accept funds for the website. It is a labor of love for the 517th . Dues for the auxiliary which includes the Thunderbolt  are  $30.00 per .year. The young looking people were officers who we depended on to help us survive . We would be very grateful to you if you want to handle the submission process for the Manhay account. - Ben

Howard Hensleigh

Message for Jay Sutcliff:   Mel Biddle is not on the intenet and says little about himself so I will tell you what I have been able to get from him at reunions.  Mel  joined B Company 517th when we were in the Crater area near Naples before we went into combat in the Rome-Arno campaign.  He was with us in all of our combat until he was awarded the Congressional Medal.  Since he was a replacement, and since there were many pundits who told how badly units treated replacements, I asked Mel if he got the cold shoulder when he arrived.  Here is how he answered.  He arrived with his duffle bag and reported in to the company and was assigned to a rifle squad.  One of the squad members had just received a saliva producing package from home.  The squad member offered to share with Mel and the other squad members.  Mel asked if the man meant to include him since he had just arrived.  He was assured by the squad that he was a full fledged member of the squad from that point on and would be treated as such just as though he had climbed the mountain at Toccoa.

Howard Hensleigh

Guest Book Entry

Name: Elaine (Walls) Saunders

From: San Diego CA

E-mail: Elaine_28@cox.net

Thanks for a great website.  My late husband, David Walls, was a member of E Company, Camp Toccoa, he rarely met any other soldier who had even heard of it!  I appreciate visiting the site, especially the photos, he was fighting at the Col de Brau and we drove there in 1963.  He rarely spoke of the war and now he is gone we can't query him about his service.

Bob Barrett

Elaine,

Did you find the photo with David Walls on the web site:

L to R standing: CB Jones, Whitie Mulligan, David Walls, Sgt. Patterson

kneeling L to R are Jim Easter and (Ward?)

This is on the page:  http://517prct.org/photos/c_b_jones/c_b_jones_part2.htm

There is also a picture of the entire E Company at Toccoa at:

http://517prct.org/photos/e_company_at_toccoa_1943.htm

There is also a photo of the "survivors" of E Company from Toccoa to Joigny, France.  But David Walls is not in that picture.  Do you know if he wounded and missed the picture?

 Bob Barrett

webmaster@517prct.org

Theresa Wilnat

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the great list below.  I have not gone through all of the material, but my favorite by far is the first one, the picture of the five 3rd battalion officers.  Whether by choice or by lack of supplies, I've always wondered why three of the five don't have gloves on.  The second thing about this photo (most of your combat photos on the website) is how young everyone is and looks.

Theresa

Teresa Messina ( Alaska Airlines )

 Hi Ben:

Happy New Year, I hope this message finds you and your family well! Did you all have a wonderful Holiday? I was wondering you if were planning on going to one of your mini reunions in Santa Barbara or if it is still in the plans. I thought perhaps I'll come out for the day if you will be present. I would like to spend some time with all those who were brave to fight for our glorious country. Also, I thought I would mention that I had an X-Marine on my flight a few months ago, I would like to share a speech he recited, unfortunately, it was written by an unknown Author.

LEST WE ALL FORGET

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united Sates of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and for all.
    I am your flag.
    I was born on June 14, 1777, I am more than a cloth shaped into a design.
    I am the refuse of the world's oppressed people - I am the silent sentinel of freedom; I am the emblem of the greatest sovereign nation on earth.
    I am the inspiration for which American patriots gave their lives and fortunes.
    I have led your sons into bloody battle from Valley Forge to the bloody ridges of Vietnam and sandy deserts of the Middle East.
    I walk in silence with death of your honored dead to their final resting place beneath the silent white crosses.
    I have flown through peace and prosperity and amidst it all I have been respected.
    My red stripes... symbolize the blood spilled in defense of this glorious nation.
    My white stripes....signify the burning tears lost by Americans who lost sons and daughters.
    My blue field...is indicative of gods of gods heaven under which I fly.
    My stars...cluster together, unify 50 states as one, for GOD and country.
    OLD GLORY is my nickname and I wave on high.
Honor me, respect me, defend me with your lives and your fortunes. Never let my enemies tear me down from my lofty position.  Keep alight the fires of patriotism; strive earnestly for the spirit of your republic; worship eternal GOD and keep His commandments, And I shall remain the bulwark of peace and freedom for all mankind.

Keep in touch!
Warm Wishes,
Teresa