From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:51 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1482 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 29, 2008

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com
   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

We are starting a fund with volunteer contributions to assist our friends from Belgium and France to attend the St. Louis reunion. You can send a contribution to Leo Dean at  14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany New York 12203

 You must notify me when you change email address.

 Pease let me know if your email is not to be included in Mail Call by inserting FYEO.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Mail Call                                  Ben517@aol.com

Palm Springs, CA

April 13-18, 2008

 517TH ST. LOUIS REUNION BEGINS:

THURSDAY, JUNE 26, 2008 THRU MONDAY, JUNE 30, 2008
THE BANQUET WILL BE ON SUNDAY JUNE 29, 2008.

Recent website additions:

When Weather Changed History:  The Battle of the Bulge

The Thunderbolt - August 1943

Paras en Provence: Le 517th PRCT Dans Les Alpes Maritime
       from Armes Militaria Magazine (cover, article)

Helen Beddow

Once again, the Florida Mini was fantastic!  Donna and Leila certainly did a beautiful job of hosting this event.  It was great fun seeing our 517th friends once again, and we are looking forward to next year.

As you have read in the Mail Call, Claire and I have taken on the job of putting out the Thunderbolt.  We have big shoes to fill with Bob Christie having done such a great job over the years of keeping everyone informed about the 517th.  Bob, you really have contributed so much to the 517th, and for that, we are very grateful to you.  We hope that we will see you and Mildred next year at the Mini.

Claire and I have already started work on the Thunderbolt.  In the near future, we will have something in Mail Call regarding the plans we have in mind for the Thunderbolt. We are hoping to have a "Working Weekend" in the next few weeks to get our goals set and get organized to have everything run smoothly.  Prayers might be good at this time as I am sure that we will need them.

Our first project, which is happening at this time, is to update the Roster.  We need some volunteers to help make phone calls for us.  If you have some spare time on your hands, please get in touch with me.  This update of the Roster consists of taking a letter of the alphabet and making calls.  I will mail you the information that you need, and a script of the questions that need to be asked.  After you finish, you can mail the information back to me.  You can reach me at my email:  HBeddow@cs.com

In regard to the Carpenter family not receiving any newsletters, in looking at the updated Roster of 11-7-07, their names are not listed.  I will check into this to make sure that they get the Thunderbolt when we get our first issue published.

Michou Yenokida ( Chop Chop's daughter)

 Hi Ben

I'm going to have dinner w/ him later in the month for his birthday...I will ask him again.  I so appreciate your efforts and thinking of him....you are very kind.

I hope you had a good holiday....I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year.

Michou
Michou Yenokida

Hi Ben

I went to San Jose yesterday to have dinner w/ my Dad yesterday to celebrate his 87th birthday.  He was born a week before the Chinese New Year so we went to a Chinese buffet where he enjoyed the seafood.  He is healthy and taking good care of himself.  I did extend your invitation to the St Louis reunion and he said he will not be traveling anywhere anymore.....but he appreciates your kind thoughts.

He reminisced a little about some of his 517th memories....I'm starting to write a little of it down bec I don't think my memory is as good as his.!!!  He showed me the St Michael's medal that Gen Dick Seitz sent to him many years.  He wears it always and talks about his battalion commander each time I see him.  He also talked about rooming w/ Bill Boyle when they went to France and remembers the plaque from St. Peter's that he sent him.

My Dad continues to receive Christmas cards from some of you ....I forgot to gather them when I left so that I could write each of you a note....but I want you to know that he reads all your cards and appreciates your kindness.  I thank you very much for remembering him and Mom.

I wish all of you a very Happy New Year.  May it be one of good health and many fond memories with each other.  You hold a very special place in the heart of that young "Chop Chop" whom you served with in a time of war.

Take very good care......

Michou Mars Yenokida
 ....daughter of Gene Mars
                                                                        ************
We still want Chop Chop and Michou to attend the St. Louis reunion. Send mail to Chop Chop via Michou mmyenokida@aol.com  telling him how much he means to the 517 and that we need him. - Ben

Jay Sutcliff
 Hi Ben,

Hope all is well

I was hoping that Mr. Biddle receives Mail Call. I thought that in the picture Bob has posted on the Website, “H Company in Toccoa”, sent in from Mike Wells, the man six in from the right, back row, could possibly be Mr. Biddle.  I don’t think these are H Company men.

The Weather Channel’s “When Weather Changed History, The Battle of the Bulge”, was really well done, and a great job by the 517 Troopers.  There is a lot of live footage on You-tube from the Bulge.  Most of it is from the German perspective.  Hitler had many photographers in place, he fully expected a victory.  The pictures/videos were to be used as propaganda.   Little did he know he would come up against men with the fortitude as those in the 517!!

Thanks

Jay

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dad Said he had a great time at the reunion, how wonderful it was to spend time with you and how please he is that Claire and Helen have agreed to take the load off of Bob Christie and handle the Thunderbolt. Claire and Helen are outstanding.  Thank you again for all that you do. Pat and Alan

RickSweet
Hi Ben,
           My dad (Odas Sweet) was also wounded on either
January 5th or 6th by a shell fragment to the side of the head.  It just nicked him.  I wonder if it was the same shell that hit you? The story is that he was bleeding pretty bad and panicked and ran all the way back to the medics where he was told his whole unit was almost wiped out.  He was with you in H company.  I hope you are well  Rick Sweet
                                                         ************
The morning report for that date does not mention him. However on January 23 he was promoted. Morning reports at that time were often incomplete - Ben

Peter D. Minix
82-723 Matthau Drive
Indio, California 92201
760-343-8129 (tele) - 760-218-5512 (cell)
pdmmm@msn.com

"Documenting & Preserving the Personal Experiences
of World War 2 Veterans Since 1998"

January 27th 2008

Dear Fellow Veteran:

In 1998, I began my project to collect stories from World War 2 veterans
and their families for the purposes of preserving and presentation to
today's youth, adults and future generations before these memories will
one day no longer be available.

My collection of over 215 World War 2 stories has received appreciation
and recognition from the General Patton Memorial Museum at Chiriaco
Summit in California where it is exhibited during special events.

Please contact me to discuss the details of my project, and how you can
be an important source of World War 2 history by telling your story
about your personal military service and sacrifices.

Participant references and testimonials regarding my work are available.

Very respectfully,

Peter D. Minix
Former SGT. U. S. Marine Corps
Former California Army National Guard Member

Visit the below URL to view your guestbook:
http://517prct.org/gbook/gbook.php