From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 7:58 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1710- 517TH PRCT- JANUARY 26, 2009

I have not forgotten the members who volunteered to help on Casualties Report. I will soon do preliminary work on them.

 Please let me know if you want to receive Mail Calls or if you have a problem
receiving them. You can always read back Mail Calls  by clicking on www.517prct.org/archives

 1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Electricity for Beginners; Joigny, France, 1945

1944 Christmas V-Cards by Dick Spencer, done for the 3rd Battalion

596th PCEC Newsletters 1980-1983

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and nows

                                                                Salt Lake City Reunion

Palm Springs, CA          Thursday July 9 thru July 13

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Howard Hensleigh

Although it is a long read, I recommend the Bergstein report flagged in this Mail Call (1709) to anyone interested in knowing what the combat team endured at the end of the Bulge.  Although it is slanted toward the 3rd Bn., it is a good picture of the efforts of the whole combat team and our condition after many attacks in the Bulge and this "diversionary"  attack in Germany.  It will leave you with the understanding that those who survived were well disciplined and fortunate, indeed.  Howard Hensleigh

Lory Curtis

Ben,
   Just talked with Debi on Friday.  What a wonderful person and her desire to help plan and prepare the Salt Lake City Reunion.  I also found out her father Bob West was in Headquarters Company with my Dad in 1st Battalion.  What a small world.  Along with Mike Wells, son of Chester Wells, H Company, Debi, and me we should have one of the best reunions ever.  I hope all can plan to attend.  There are a lot of fun things to do here.   I will be giving you more information as I get it.

Lory Curtis, son of Bud Curtis, HQ, 1st Bn

Bob Barrett

Mark,

I found these articles here:

I took copies of everything with 517th in the title.  I just realized there is another one of the So. France invasion.  https://www.infantry.army.mil/monographs/content/wwii/STUP2/HollisHarrisW%20CPT.pdf
I will look for more.

Hope this helps.

Bob Barrett
Steve Markle
This week marks the approximate half way point of this project... one binder down, one more to go!

Please enjoy!

Fall 1988;

...and the article that includes a full index of the issues that have been scanned to date;

-Steve-

Today is Monday, January 26, 2009

Today in
World War II History

1942 - The first American expeditionary force to go to Europe during World War II went ashore in Northern Ireland.

1945 - Soviet troops entered Auschwitz, Poland. The survivors, fewer than 3,000, of the Nazi network of concentration camps were freed.

Random World War II Quote

"Our citizens can now rejoice that a momentous victory is in the making. Perhaps we will be forgiven if we claim we are about midway to our objective."
Admiral Chester Nimitz - June 1942

Random World War II Quote

"Dunkirk has fallen... with it has ended the greatest battle of world history. Soldiers! My confidence in you knew no bounds. You have not disappointed me."
Adolf Hitler - Order of the Day - June 5, 1940