From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 9:34 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1836 -517TH PRCT- JULY 20, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.

                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Gene Frice

Ben,

(print-your decision)

Laurie,Karen,Robin and all

Now that I am residing in a Berlin Hotel that does feature an adequate (free) internet, even if my current room is at “european” standards (and the euro of course-breakfast (two croissant, with jelly and instant coffee (bad), 6.50e with 1e tip=7.50e, equal to about $ 9.00 + whatever. The gals and I usually build a backpack of snacks, with juice, milk and beer to avoid such prices. However, the fridge contains only about 6” of space- Ice chest anyone? So, I am here on my own until 1Aug, when they arrive. I am doing my usual-what ever that is? So, I will live on the environment (except for beer) until they arrive.

If you are interested, today, 20July, is the anniversary of the Valkyre (two unsuccessful  attempts-plus a number of others by some of the German General Staff, and members of the German aristocracy to kill Adolph). Hence, the Hollywood movie (Tom Cruise), production of the attempt. While I do not care for Mr Cruise, he did an excellent job as Col. Staffenberg, (a major planner) and the movie presents a reasonable view of the events (see it). After 50 yrs of being ID as traitors the government recently re-ID them as heroes and declared the date (today) to be a national holiday. The local Neo Nazi’s (a number of them) disagree and are demonstrating. I have gathered many of the locals feel the “heroes” were merely opportunist??

Regards to all.

Gene Frice

Wesley

Ben,
You had said in a previous mailcall to me that you where with the 515th before mustering in with the 517th in Aug. of 44'.  I was wondering if you would be willing to expand on that mailcall.  I was wondering because my grandfather was also with the 515th before Southern France.

Why did you get picked to join the 517th and how did it happen?  Did only the elite get picked?

What company of the 515th where you with?

When did you arrive in Italy?

Thank you so very much.

Wesley Perry
                                                **********
I was in Headquarters Co. Arrived in Naples May 31,1944 aboard the Crostobal.  No WACs just the 596Engineers.More info. Click on

Ben Barrett

Ray Hess

As always Ben, you are correct, the website is www.battlingbuzzards.org. I stand corrected. Thanks Ben!

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

Captain Monika Stoy (Ret), who has contacted the unit to request the presence of 517 vets in Washington, DC on August 5, actually first met Leo Dean and Allan Johnson in Draguinan last summer at ceremonies there.  We observed a reenactment of the meeting of the 505 and the French Resistance; Kathy Reilly of the Marseilles US Consulate was also there.

Dad and Leo Dean are planning to attend; so are Hal and Helen Beddow.  Tom Copsey is planning to attend.  I am sure there are others.

If you or any relatives live within a comfortable drive on the East Coast, I urge you to attend.  Attendance at events like this help keep the legacy of the 517 alive.

Claire Giblin

Teresa ( 517th's Favorite Flight Attendent)

Hello Ben:
Wow! Everyone had a great time at the reunion, I'm sorry I missed it. I enjoyed the gallery of photos, you look so dandy and handsome.
I really enjoyed Chris's jump, what a great video (she has inspired me).  I'm sure you are not thrilled that you had a minor incident at the reunion, however, you have an awesome fan club who cares about you very much and I am proud to say that I am a member.
I hope we are able to meet in France, isn't this just so ironic?
I'm sure your daughter is so happy to see you twice in one year, have fun in Tahoe (I'm jealous, I would love to see the awesome mountains and breath in the fresh clean crispy air (this is what God intended for us).
Your friend,
Teresa

Mike Kane

Ben, here's an good video of the Army's new T-11 personal parachute.  Less shock, slower descent and far fewer injuries.

Go to this link.  http://www.armytimes.com/

Its the first story under "multimedia" entitled "PEO Soldier: T-11 Personal Parachute".

You can view it full screen by clicking on the icon to the far right below video image.

Mike Kane.

Darrell Egner

Ladies & Gentlemen

As all of you know Wade Gilbert has offered to copy and mail the movie at no cost to us.  To make this great task as easy and orderly to Wade's company I am suggesting we do the following.

As everyone is not on Mail Call I suggest we put a Order Form in the next Thunderbolt.  Helen tells me that she mails about 1200 copies.  Some are returned as "no address, Etc."  In talking to Ben some time ago we estimate about 400 to 500 that receive the T'Bolt do not make donations to the 517.  Talking to people at the SLC Reunion some said they will order up to 10 copies because it's free.  As good as Wade has been to the 517 through the years I don't think we should should put this burden on him.

I believe the Order Form should include the following. (A) Limit the order to 3 copies and suggest that if anyone orders more then 3 they should make a donation to the 517 Treasury.  As some can't afford to pay much I would leave the amount up to them.  (B)  They should include their name and shipping address and a check made out to the 517 PRCT if the order is over 3 copies.  (C)  They should mail this to Leo Dean at his address and he can sent the list to Wade in an orderly fashion.

Leo if this is putting to much of a burden on you I will coordinate this project for the 517.  If all or you agree just put my name and address on the order form.

Rob and Mary Lloyd went to Canada last Sunday and will return August 1.  When they return they are going to make some changes to correct spelling of names and add to the Bronze Star list with Bob Barretts help.  As Helen and Claire are going to Europe in August I would assume that the next Thunderbolt will not come out until September.

Please all of you please convey your comments and views to me, good or bad.  Merle your the President and I don't wish to step on your toes.  If you have a better idea on how to handle this I will step down.

Darrell
Egner

Howard Hensleigh

BEN:  IT IS DIFFICULT TO FIND WORDS TO PAY TRIBUTE TO ONE WHO HAS DONE SO MUCH FOR THE 517TH.  IT IS ENOUGH TO SAY THAT A MAN WHO IS NOW WELL INTO HIS 90S HAS BROUGHT US INTO THE WORLD OF MODERN COMMUNICATIONS.  YOUR WEBSITE AND MAIL CALL HAVE ENABLED US TO CONTINUE THE ASSOCIATION AND FURTHER ITS OBJECTIVE OF KEEPING ALIVE THE MEMORY OF THE COMBAT TEAM, ITS MEMBERS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS, LONGER AND MUCH MORE THAN COULD HAVE BEEN IMAGINED WHEN WE FIRST MET IN CHICAGO IN 1949.  MANY YOUNG PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND OUT THE HEART WARMING DETAILS OF THEIR 517TH HERO THROUGH YOUR EFFORTS.  THEY HAVE EXPRESSED THEIR GRATITUDE AND WE ALL ENDORSE IT.

WE WISH YOU THE HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS AND A TRIP TO OUR BATTLEFIELDS OF EUROPE THAT HAS NO EQUAL.

LOVE FROM ALL,  Howard Hensleigh

Don't like to mention myself, but when Howard speaks*******