From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:08 AM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1838 -517TH PRCT-JULY 21`, 2009

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

Update on the

517th Film Project

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Mike Woldenberg

Dear Ben,

I have been on your mailing list for a little less than a year.
Nevertheless I had not read your personal website.    For years I have
tried to find someone who had a career that paralleled that of my Uncle,
Lt. Charles M. Willis.  Chuck was at Fort Benning as part of the 513th
(E. Company) until March or April of 1944.  He went briefly to North
Africa, then Sicily and then Italy, probably Rome.  He was part of the
Air Borne Traning Center  according to the return address on his mail.
He jumped into the St. Tropez area and either
was hurt in the jump or was wounded, as he wrote us from Rome in
September.  All this resembles your very own experience which I have
duplicated from your website:

Question:  Did you know him?   Secondly,  were you also in the Air Borne
Training Center?  (Chuck had been a training officer at Fort Benning).
Thirdly, do you know of any others at this center who might have known
Chuck?    We do not know to  which  Battalion or PIR he was attached
during Operation Dragoon.

Chuck  eventually was sent as  a replacement to
the 12th Armored Division, A-56th Armored Infantry Battalion at Christmas
time.  He was an outstanding soldier according to several men I have met.
He was killed on March 24, 1945 in Speyer, Germany.

I can send you a picture if that would help you remember what he looked
like.

Yours truly,  Mike Woldenberg

Sorry but I can't help you. I was in the 515th not the 513th. I was at the Parachute School in Rome and not at Airborne Training Center . Ben

Claire Giblin

Hey Ben !!!  Hope you're enjoying your 91st!

I can't thank you enough for all you do for this band of brothers.  Quite simply, you rock!

Thank you, thank you for your invaluable service to the 517.  You are the reason that we are still active when others are folding.  We know each other, plain and simple.  You've built a history that we can touch and research, and kept the 517 alive.

Thanks so much for everything you do, every day!  You are appreciated by so very many!

Hugs and love,

Claire

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben and happy birthday,
           I second what Mr. Hensleigh has to say about you! You were my first contact a few years ago when I discovered the 517th prct website and since then a whole new world has opened up to me. I have learned so much from you, Mr. "H"  and many others and enjoyed the new friends that seem like old friends and the fellowship and welcome atmosphere at the two reunions that I have attended. I know that there is a common bond among soldiers because it is passed to the sons and daughters of the "Battling Buzzards" and you all have left a great legacy. I greatly appreciate what you have done for us. No other website that I have found compares to the 517th website. As you know My dad Odas, was also in the 504th as well as the 517th and their site offers little information in comparison, not to mention the reunions and mail call and "The Thunderbolt" that we all enjoy. Paratroopers Odyssey and "Letters home" by Lory Curtis are also two must reads for anyone interested in what their fathers went through as well as Gerald Astor's "Battling Buzzards". There is also a short section about the 517th in the "13th Airborne Division" book and it has some pictures including one of my dad and Jim Sutcliffe laying on the ground resting. This is but a small sample of information that I have discovered since our first contact. The website itself has a wealth of information and pictures sent in from all of the family's and mail call includes many gem's.
   A note to Darrell Egner and Wade Gilbert.....I personally look forward to receiving a copy of the 517th movie project and I truly thank you Wade, for your generosity. I would be happy to make a donation to the 517th or the movie project or however you would like to handle it. Freedom isn't free and neither was the project that was undertaken by so many involved and again as a descendent of a "Battlin Buzzard" I greatly appreciate the ones who volunteered their time, expertise and money to make it a reality. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I think that the information should be in the "Thunderbolt" and in mail call and on the website. You wouldn't want to miss anyone! Just thought I would add my two cents worth.....and thank you again, Ben for the forum to do so.

SOB
Rick Sweet

Mary Jane Handron

Hi Ben,

Glad you are having a good time on your trip and I’m enjoying all the Mail Calls. I have written to you at home in Cohasset so you should receive “snail mail” from me upon your return!

I did want to share a short story with you… I have some friends who travelled to France this summer (it was a trip that had been cancelled previously due to unforeseeable circumstances.)

Anyway, they went to Nice, but the major part of the excursion was a weeklong cruise down the river Seine. My friends are not ones to go on lots of extra side trips but prefer to relax and peruse small villages in ports of call.

 One of the side trips offered was a visit to Omaha beach to see the beaches, the cliffs and the nearby village. Although my friends did not go, they were surprised and thrilled to learn from those who did go that when the village folks learned they were Americans they did not accept money for any souvenirs the tourists wanted to buy.

 Apparently on the trip back to the cruise ship, the tour director shared some fun facts.: One of them was that if an American is ever caught by the police speeding or with a traffic violation, in Normandy they are not fined or given a ticket of any sort! I certainly do not advocate speeding in Normandy or anywhere else, but I still love the story and the respect and love these people continue to have for Americans as they clearly credit our servicemen with their freedom!!

Stay well, be safe and see you soon.

Mary Jane.

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben,
      I hope that you are feeling well and will continue to do so. I am writing to give thanks to Steve Markle for the wonderful photos that he took at the reunions and for sharing them in mail call 1829. He does allot for the 517th! Since I couldn't make this past trip, to see the pictures is the next best thing. I also noticed pictures from the past reunions and even a few of Melvin Biddle from the D.C. reunion. Steve, I hope you don't mind that I copied a few of them to my pictures folder. It was good to see everyone having a great time. Just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated. So many people that enrich mail call by what they send in are appreciated by me. I look forward to receiving every one of them. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get!

S.O.B.
Rick Sweet
Jerry Wolfford

I envy Gene Frice after reading the last Mail-Call. In Berlin with the big to-do coming up concerning the ceremonies to recognize and up-lift the reputations of those individuals depicted in the book "Valkyrie". After the war the consensus of the majority of German citizens viewed these men as traitors. The last living member of that group is dead now. He was the author of the true story of "Valkyrie" a group of ranking Third Reich officers who in WWII saw what the Fuhrer had done to the "Mother Land" and felt that he had become a mad man and must be stopped before all was lost. As history bears out, they failed. Retalliation was swift and deadly. The Dessert Fox "Field Marshall Erwin Rommel" was implicated and thus was among the first to be dealt with by the Fuhrer. He was given a choice, either take your own life quietly or the Gestapo will hunt you and your family down and you will all be killed. These individuals knew full well what the consequences would be if they failed. They went ahead with their plan.  For the German citizenry to call these men "opportunists" is a slap in the face to anyone who has an ounce of humanity. But then again we must remember that these were the same citizens who when questioned about the atrocities that occurred right under their noses at the hundreds of Nazi Concentration Camps in Germany such as Ohrdruf, Buchenwald and one that I visited known as Dachau, they all claimed that they had no knowledge of how those 9,000,000 people died.  I only hope that the people of Germany can unite and embrace the memory of these brave men who at least had the courage to try and stop this mad man. If that happens perhaps healing can take place. I hope Gene Frice can take some photos of this festive event and let us view them. The German people know "Pomp and Ceremony".
                                                                        "Nephew of a Buzzard"
Claire Giblin

So I'm working on the Thunderbolt, minding my own business, when I just now stumbled on #1783 and Frank Ramos's great suggestions for a school trip.

This is a wonderful start for educators.  Can we set up a link "for teachers and educators" on the main page, and start putting stuff on it like this?

Yes, I know it was 2 months ago - it's still a great idea.

Lou Scaringi

Ben,  This message is for Bob.
Bob, I am now listed in our records as recipient of one Bronze Star Medal for award of the Combat Infantryman Badge, but there is no 517th record of my second Bronze Star award (cluster) which was earned as a result of heroic action on January 3, 1945, at Trois Ponts, Belgium.  This second award was approved and awarded after I had been transferred to the 82nd Airborne in Berlin for occupation duty.  It was awarded by COL Reuben Tucker, Commander of the 504th PIR after being approved by E.G.Chapman, Major General, US Army Commanding.  A copy of the citation appeared in the Spring, 2009 issue of the Thunderbolt.  I hope this information can support adding a second Bronze Star (or cluster) to my 517th credits.  Lou Scaringi

Dennis Sura

Ben, I would like to second Howard Henssleigh's praise for your efforts on the 517th website.  I am sorry I had to miss the reunion again this year.  I look forward each day for news and comments of the heroic exploits of the regiment and thoughts of my father Mike's participation.  The 1st reunion took place a year after I was born (1948) in our home town of Chicago.  Do sure dad attened even though he lived there.  Believe that he was on strike while working for US Steel at the time.

All The Best

Dennis Sura

Ben I send a check on 4/7/09 to the 517th Aux in the amount of $30 and I don't have record of it being cashed.  Who can I talk to inorder to see if it ever was received.  On the same day I send $75 to the 517th Film Project.

Dennis Sura
                                    ****************
Leo, what do you know about this?-ben
Jim Mortensen
Hi Ben (and Merle)

Yes, we ought to put an order form in each edition of the Thunderbolt.
But I think we need two mailing groups. We should have a committee (or
a service) to handle the big load at the front end of the offer. Once
that is done, we can fall back on one or two guys to handle the
problem with the late comers. I might even volunteer for the second
part.

One other suggestion. We might send one to each Salt Lake City
attendee because we know they are alive and well and we know their
address is correct. Then, we could go from there. Or, we could mail a
copy to the addresses we use for the Thunderbolt. They should be about
equal.

In any event, I think it might be worthwhile to use a service to make
the initial, big mailing.

Best

Jim Mortensen

Bill Bolin

Ben:

I'm looking for that photo of the German staff car with the dead occupants that was stopped on the road to Les Arcs on Aug. 15. Somebody at the Salt Lake City reunion told me it was available on the 517 PRCT website but I can/t find it there. Can you tell me where to look, or better yet, send me an e-mail of the picture? Capt LaChaussee and I took the car to the Reg. CP at St. Rosaline chateau.  I want to put it in my memoirs for my children. Thanks.
An account and map of "the Mercedes Incident"

from Clark Archer