From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:00 PM
To: EDLINK74@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1852- 517TH PRCT- AUGUST 26, 2009

Returned home from Europe last evening.

Attempt No. 1 to catch up on mail. Incomplete. More later.

 Please send Links instead of Downloads when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

 Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

Photos from Europe trip 2009

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

 PHOTO OF PROCLAMATION AWARDED TO 22 PEOPLE AND AREAS .

 3500 CARDS WITH 517 INSIGNIA ALSO DISTRIBUTED TO CITIZENS

Bob Konnings

Hello Ben,

My name is Bob Konings. I live in Grandmenil/Belgium. In June 2008 I moved to this beautifull place in the Ardennes.
I spent over a year, trying to make a nice story about the battle of Grandmenil. The result is a website about this battle.
This morning I will meet three veterans in Manhay, thanks to Eddy Monfort (In your newsletter, I thought that you're coming too to Manhay).
Until now the 517th is just a little referred on my website. I will rewrite the story of the events on December 27th, concerning the 517th. Just give me some time to put it together.

Can you please add me to your mailinglist?
And: please do visit my website!

Best regards,

Bob Konings
Grandmenil

The Battle of Grandmenil
www.grandmenil.com
Bob Konings
Grandrue 15
6960 Grandmenil / Manhay

Caroline Oliver

Dear Mr. Barrett,
As promised here are a few pictures of your visit at the cemetery. Also attached is the adoption certificate that Mr. Nagel showed you for Floyd's grave. You will find the address on that certificate if you wish to get in contact.

The adoption is a way for local people to show their respect and gratitude to the great generation of Americans who gave their lives so they could live free. The people who adopt come to the cemetery regularly and lay flowers on the grave of the soldier they adopted, just like they would with a member of their own family. People of all ages want to adopt. The adoption program has been going on ever since the cemetery was open. At that time visitors would, in some cases, adopt the grave of a soldier they had met during the war.

Best regards,

Caroline Oliver
Cemetery Associate

Steve Markle

Bob and Ben,

    Thanks for taking us all along on your trip to Europe. It looks like everyone is having a lot of fun over there.

    I saw this picture from your collection;

    ...and I could only think of my dad stanging in that spot almost 65 years ago;

Thank for the memory.
-Steve-

Wayne Cross
Ben, terrific pictures!  It looks as though you and your family were well received.  I am sure it was a very emotional but gratifying experience.

Ed Lincoln

Hi Ben: Wow!! Thank you so much for sending me those absolutely wonderful pictures. They are terrific, and I appreciate it so much! What a great time you must be having seeing all those places you have been and all the people that you saw so many years ago. It must be a great feeling.

I can't mention all of them, but I liked that one of you in the jeep, the one of you between two women, the one of you and Maria Gaspar, and especially the one of you and Arnold and Irma. From that one picture, I guess you must have found the place you were wounded.

Have a wonderful time during the rest of the trip, and most important--stay well. All the best and thanks so much again. Ed