From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:11 AM
To: Ben517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1855 -517TH PRCT-AUGUST 28, 2009

I will have another Mail Call immediately as the young people are beginning to unwind and are telling about their time with our friends in Belgium and France. I hesitate to talk about the trip until I recover for fear of neglecting someone or some issue that was so important to us all. We too will never forget our friends in Belgium and France

Just about caught on old mail.

Please send Links instead of Downloads when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

 Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

Photos from Europe trip 2009

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Pvt. Harry A. Hill, B Company - 200 photos and clippings

Merle McMorrow

As I mentioned in an earlier Email, we need to chart a new direction and develop a new purpose for the Association. Initially the troopers met periodically for the sole purpose of food, frolics, friendship and fun. As the years have passed it has become more difficult physically for many to meet and to meet for this sole purpose mentioned above is no longer desired or justified. A greater need and purpose for the Association was recognized as necessary when other Units folded their tents and began to disband. Young blood with new and fresh ideas would be needed to insure our organization did not follow down the same path as others. That is when the suggestion for an Auxiliary was first germinated by the Hensleigh's and others and the discussion that followed in Kissimmee, Florida insured that it could be successful.

Under the guidance and the direction of the two early past presidents Helen Biddow and Claire Giblin, a smooth transition of how the Association should function took place. Now to insure that the momentum continues, that the organizational talents are not lost and the recognized ability of the Auxiliary to accomplish tasks, I am proposing that two committees be set up. First that an ad hoc committee chaired by Claire Giblin made up with committee members of her choosing be formed. She and her committee are charged with two responsibilities:

  1. To develop a program that sets forth a more unified sense of purpose and more specific goals for the Association other than gathering periodically to socialize.

  2. To select a committee chairman that will implement and accomplish the program goals developed in Item 1 above.

Bob Dalrymple

Dear relatives and friends, I am reopening this mailbox and will be using it until I tell you otherwise .However , I have moved into my wife's house and my new mailing address is : 685 S La Posada Cir #1004 , Green Valley AZ 85614 . Dad , GGPA, Bob . PS: Our wedding ceremony was very special , indeed ! Will send pics later . Bride was Stunning !

Harris Johnson

Amazing map of WWII

http://www.slideboom.com/presentations/46302/Fantastic-map-of-Europe,-in-WW-II,-Thanks-to-%22Big-War%22Vets!!-All-oth...

Morris McDowell

Ben,

After seeing again the pictures of my Cousin Layton Pippin, Richard Lynam, and mention of Corwin Clark, Candle holders honoring Milton Johnson, and Francis Bloom, which were all in the Church at St. Jaques. I was very appreciative. The memories of these men are  kept alive by Irma and Arnold Targnion, Maria Gaspar, and many other Patriotic men and women and children of Belgium. When people still show great appreciation after 65 years, and a second and third generation foster that same respect and gratitude, I am humbled.

Cheryl Markle Silveira

Dear Ben,

My name is Cheryl Markle Silveira.  I am the daughter of Eugene(Gene) Markle,  a former member of the 596th that was part of the 517th during WWII.

 I am writing to you with the hopes that you might add my email address to those of other recipients of Mail Call.  I have been following the 517th's website for quite some time now and am amazed at how it has grown so exponentially.  I know my Dad, had he been blessed to witness it, would have enjoyed seeing it develop into such a wonderful record of the history of the unit that he loved so much.  It now stands as a testament to the wonderful young men of the 517 and a valuable lesson to remind us all that "Freedom isn't Free" and to be so proud that our loved ones were part of this struggle as part of a very special unit.

Your efforts with the website and the newsletter are very much appreciated by family members such as myself...Thank you so very much!!!

Warmest Regards,  Cheryl

For Matt Akers

Thanks for your interest in the 517 and the 596 Parachute Combat Engineer Team (PCET).

My dad, Eugene C. "Gene" Markle was a member of this group of engineers that was attached to this group. A couple of years ago, I worked with another son from this group Mickey Moses, whose dad was Jim Moses, to digitize and enhance a good quality image of the engineers when they where still identified as company C of the 139th at Camp Mackall.

The result can be found here;

[select the link next to "full size" to get a bit copy suitable for full size reprints, and right click on the image to save to your local machine. ~10.6 mb.]

If you consider this of value, make any donation to the 517PRCT to keep this history alive (Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203).

Other pictures of the men from the 596 can be found here;

My dad is gone, but I know there are still a few members of the group that are still around.

-Steve-

Richard Cook
Hello,

I know there was a Bruce Broudy that was in command of A Co. with my Grandfather. I saw some of his pictures on the web page but couldn’t find any of my Grandpa. I was just wondering if anyone had pictures of him or any good stories about him. I am currently trying to keep the military tradition by attending the AF Academy. Please let me know if anyone knows anything or would like to know anything about 1LT James Cook of A Co. Thanks

Richard Cook

Don Saunders

Hi Ben,
Jan and I sure missed a great reunion from all the reports I have read. Almost 4 months from the day I had my hip replaced it popped out on me. Then 8 days later it happened again. Would you believe it happened again 20 days later when we were camping at an Airstream RV Rally. Jan said she thinks I like to ride in the ambulance. Three times in a month is just too much. That is why we had to miss the Reunion. It too soon to travel that far after surgery. We hope we continue the yearly reunion and we will be able to attend. I have attended all of them since I found they were being held in early 1979 and it ended with Washington in 2006.
Guess I have rambled on long enough for now.Best of health to all of to you 517th folks.
Don Saunders, 596th PEC , 517 PRCT
Patricia and Roland Renoux

we hope you had a good trip yesterday.
Roland and I are so happy to see you during these short days in South of France.
You are and all the friends and 517th's family welcome at home. Don't worry we are so pleased that you could be our guests.
I will have, soon, pictures of Cannes. I'll let you know...

and now it is the moment for you to rest.

Yesterday, we received the Thunderbolt. Thanks.

with our love,
Patou and Roland
Sospel, France

JERRY Wolfford
Howdy to all from Texas.  Just wanted to say I had the fun time of my life while in Salt Lake City at the 517th PIR Reunion in July. Uncle George [PFC George Cavnar of Reg. HQ] missed a really fun time but he told me that he is hopeful that he will be up to making the next get-together. I have attached a post card type photo of the Bingham Canyon, Kennecott Copper Mine that was one of the optional side trips available to all of us. We were picked up at the hotel by tour bus and a short ride later we were there. The open pit mine has been worked for over a hundred years and is touted to be one of two man made structures that can be seen on earths surface from outer space. The other is of course the "Great Wall of China". The current depth of the mine from the rim down to the floor of the operation is said to be 3/4 of a mile. The distance from one rim to the opposite rim is said to be a distance of 2 1/2 miles. This picture doesn't do justice to the enormity of this operation but seeing it first hand is mind boggling. I suppose a lot of the attendees at this reunion are headed for France about now. I hope you guys have a wonderful and safe trip over and back.   jw     "Nephew of a Buzzard