From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 6:36 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; grhulen@dishmail.net; PBarrett@alumni.bates.edu
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1865 -517TH PRCT- SEPTEMBER 7, 2009

I have just receive information that Dixie Welborn passed away Sept. 5, 2009.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Photos from Europe trip 2009

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

Photos from Belgium and France

Part 1 - Belgium

Part 2 - Sospel, France

Part 3 - Col de Braus and Le Muy, France

Part 4 - Le Muy

Part 5- Fayence, Callian, Montauroux, France

Part 6 - St. Cezaire

More to Come, with Trip Report

Gary R. Hulen

Sir:

I am searching for any information concerning my father, Marvin (Pete) Oliver.  He was a member of the 517th and was killed by friendly fire as he returned from a night patrol.  He died in the town of Sospel France and buried in Draguignan France.  I believe he was killed shortly before my birth on October 11, 1944.  My mother remarried and I was fortunate to be adopted as a child by another wonderful and loving WWII veteran who raised me as his own son.  I have very little information about my biological father's service and would appreciate any information that anyone could share with me not only for myself but for my children and grandchildren as well.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!!

Gary R. Hulen
13447 Highway 15
Paris MO 65275
                                                     *******************
Marvin Oliver was in A Co. Someone in A Co. should be able to help Gary. - Ben
Patricia and Roland

Merle, Mardy
Ben,

thanks so much for the letter received recently.
Yes, we live in a beautiful country, specially in Sospel (!!!)

All we done it is only by love for all of you and all thanks we could do or we could say it's nothing compare what you did.

We are in charge to find pupils of Sospel to be in touch with pupils in USA.
School has began today. so we wait few days and i'll write to the director to have an appointment and explain to him what we would like to do.

Patricia and Roland
Sospel, France
Gilles Guignard
Dear Howard,

Thanks for your clear explanations about the RR track.

I am really happy to work with you on this project - I hope you enjoy it too!
I will send you another map when I get home tonight where I will indicate Gaunce's position as well as yours.

If I am not mistaken Lt Freeman was shot on the tracks is this correct ?

Was Freeman on the embankment at the same level as you ?

Another thing which I am not sure of: Was the house cleared of the enemy when you went thru the underpass ? Or were some of the guys still firing at the house ?

Enemy other German positions south of the tracks or was the resistance only in that little house ?

Next time I will go down to S France I surely will go and ring at the door of the small house. Big house is derelict but small house has inhabitants.

The next places I would like to check with you are:
- The land south of the RR track where you spent the night.
- The house in les Arcs where you rescued the 45th Division soldiers.

Thanks for everything and kind regards Gilles
Howard Hensleigh

Lt. Freeman was shot on the north side of the tracks.  He was not starting to go over.  He had climbed up the embankment so that at least head and shoulders were visible to the Germans.  He may have been positioning his men to go over the tracks when Lud Gibbons yelled at him to get down.

The last thing I saw of the house was Fenton with his BAR and Zawicki with his bazooka firing into the windows.  Whether that cleared it of enemy or not I do not know because we were on the move west.  We never encountered any difficulty from the house again.  This may have been because we outflanked it, or because Fenton and Zawicki had neutralized the enemy.  It was getting dark and by the time we got the Bn. across the tracks we outnumbered the Germans and they were withdrawing to the south and west.  There was resistance south of the tracks and one man remained behind in a ditch.  Kaylor from G Co. and I were ready to blast him out with grenades when he came out on  his own.  I got his P 38 pistol but lost it out of my pocket sometime during the confusion of the night.  We pushed some distance west in the dark and the Germans withdrew as we attacked.  Early the next morning they must have realized that we had not taken the high ground to the west, or were alerted when we freed the 14 45th Division men and rushed a platoon to be positioned on the high ground if we pushed further west as we were supposed to do to take the entire objective.  It was at the footbridge across the tracks that I ran across Lt. Col. Zais and the command group who were being briefed by his S-3, Capt. Bill Pencak, as to their whereabouts.  I joined the command group uninvited and unannounced and when Pencak put his finger on the far side of our objective and said "We are right here", I said "The hell you are."  Zais grabbed the map and asked me to show him what I meant.  He was concerned because they had reported to regiment late the night before that we had taken our objective when we had not taken the high ground to the west, which was essential for holding the town.  It was easy for me to orient Zais as the footbridge and the house they had slept in was right there and as we looked down the tracks to the west, I identified a curve on the map as well as on the ground.  I had the advantage on these guys as I had been up a good part of the night with the company executive officers getting the attacking troops unscrambled and into squad, platoon and company areas where they were organized if we were attacked.  Zais, who never asked anyone what to do, but knowing what my response would probably be said, "What should we do?"  I told him to give me a squad and I would see what was up there.  The rest of the story is in the patrol with the H Co. squad.

I am not sure I could locate the house where we set the 45th guys free.  There were not too many houses south of the tracks.  Most of the town is north of them.  Spencer's write up of the patrol makes it sound like there were a lot of houses we cleared out, but there were just a few.  A French farmer alerted me to the fact that there were American prisoners in the house and I sent several men up to free them.  They did this without firing a shot and I did not ask questions when they returned as we had to move out with the 45th Division men with us to clear the rest of the objective.  As we went west, we heard the hobnailed German boots on the cobble stone coming toward us from the south and I set all of the troops behind stone walls and told them to come up yelling when I did.  Believe it or not the Germans were in close order column of threes coming right up the road with no scouts or flank security out.  When they were right in the middle of us I yelled "HALT" which meant the same thing in German and English and the guys came up yelling over the wall with M-1s and grease guns at point blank range.  We still had our grease paint on and I'm sure looked like a mean bunch.  They dropped their weapons and now I had a platoon of prisoners on my hands.  We could see that the rest of the objective was clear, so I sent the machine gun crew up on the forward slope with instructions to fire at long range if they saw enemy coming and we would send reinforcements.  With all the rest I headed back to the Bn. area.  Mel Zais met me and gave me the devil for bringing such a large body of men into the Bn. area as he thought it would bring in artillery fire on us.  Fortunately the story ends with no artillery fire and they recommended me for a silver star that General Fredrick's crew broke down to a bronze star.