From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:04 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1892 - 517TH PRCT- OCTOBER 15, 2009

You will be the first to know when 517th Film will be available.

 Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Claire Giblin

Hey Ben -

A couple of items for Mail Call:

Helen and I are trying to get the Thunderbolt together.  If anyone would like to contribute, please forward an article or short piece to me at clairejgib@comcast.net.  We'd love to hear from you if you went to a reunion, talked to a school, or got in touch with a fellow trooper lately.  Send it in, or send it to Ben for Mail Call, and I'll scoop it up!

Would love to hear from those who went to France as well.

Wade Gilbert, generous donor to the 517, is working on the film reproduction and it should be out soon.  A minor glitch will mean a delay of a few days, not weeks - Stay tuned.

Hope everyone is starting to plan for Kissimmee and Palm Springs.  Raise your hands if you're up for Nashville in the summer!

My highest regards to my favorite vets -

Claire

Wade Gilbert

Ben,

Please let everyone know we’ll be shipping out the DVD’s by the end of the month.  Thank you for your patience.

 Best Regards,

Wade Gilbert

(888) 999-6564
(954) 630-9797
(954) 202-1899 Fax

 Lou Ann Rudd

My great uncle died on Feb 7 1945 in Bergstein.

His name was Harvey J. Usery – Company H.

 Any information would be appreciated.

 Lou Ann R          ***********

Someone who was at Bergstein must remember Harvey Usery.

Can you help Lou Ann?-Ben

The following gives too much information about me, but the interest of others in the 517 website has to be known.-Ben

Bob Barrett

FYI.  Here is a recent email conversation with a guy, Rob Trent, who plays on my soccer team.   He's a pilot and a WWII buff, so he noticed my "Battling Buzzards" T-shirt.  You have to read from the bottom up.

Rob,

I don't know that specific restaurant, but Trois Ponts was our central HQ for a week during the recent trip to the Ardennes.  I now know my way around there well.  The 517th has some very close friends in Trois Ponts.  We had a commemoration ceremony at the Major's office, signed the Mayor's ceremonial 'Gold Book" of special guests, and had a lunch hosted by the townspeople.  See a few photos in:  http://517prct.org/photos/2009_europe/2009_europe.htm

And here is a first-hand account of the Bulge:  http://517prct.org/irmas_story.htm

Bob Barrett

Bob,

Yes - I actually meant to say "your Mother" Mary Lawlor.  My youngest children are 5 & 6 which probably makes me a little older than your Dad is to you.  I get confused easily speaking of generations as my Dad was only 18 years older than me.

I've already started circulating the 517th's website among my WWII buff friends & co-worker's.  One of the guys has already read through most of the bio's & directed me to Gene Brissey's - WOW!

Speaking of your Dad's bio... was he actually wounded on Jan 5th, 1945?  This section of the bio refers to the Battle of the Bulge (Dec 16, 1944 - Jan. 25 1945) & then talks of Jan. 4th, 1944 & being wounded by a German shell on the night of Jan. 5th?  I told you I was interested in this stuff ;-) .

One more interesting note... I married an English woman that I meet in Brussels, Belgium ~ 13 years ago.  Coincidently we've been hiking & sight seeing in the Ardennes and were actually engaged at a restaurant in Trois Pont, Belgium - "Le Jardin Vert" (The Green Garden).
See you on the Battlefield Sunday... should we parachute in the night before with 70 lbs. of gear & camp out on the pitch in honor of the 517th?  Yikes

See you Sunday,
Rob