From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:09 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1922- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 28, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

It would be helpful if all mailers would use at least Font. 14. It makes reading  some what easier for some members.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road
                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00    More information Mail Call No 1916

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Brad Stewart.

I knew your father very well.  I think we had a nick name for him, "Sparky".  When the outfit was in Joigny after the fighting in Europe was over, He and I hiked around the neighboring areas during time off weekends and in one vicinity we found one of the Air Corps planes that had been downed by the Germans.  I have some pictures of him, me and some of the families that lived near the downed plane.  As I recall, he was from Utah (tell me if I am wrong).  He was a good trooper and you can be proud of his record with the 517th.

Howard Hensleigh

Brad Stewart

Dear Mr Hensleigh:
I was thrilled to hear from you and learn that you knew my father.  He was born and raised in Nevada (so your recollection of Utah was close!)  My brother and I have been trying to research and learn more about his service in the 517th.  The December 1944 roster shows that he was a 2nd Lt. in the 3rd battalion, H company, but from dates on his discharge papers and the few stories he told us (he wouldn't talk about his military service much)  we think he may have joined the 517th after they arrived in Italy or maybe even after the unit had moved into France.  We are pretty sure he spoke of being on Sicily and he told me once that he never "jumped" in combat.  Do you think you could help us figure this out?
Thank you for your kind words and memories of him...
Brad Stewart
P.S.  I would love to get some copies of any pictures you have of the two of you....are they on the 517th web site?  or would it be possible to scan them and send me a copy?
PPS  His brothers always called him "scrappy"  or "scrap" as a nickname

Bob Barrett

Darrel Egner’s account (MailCall #1918) of his liberation of a motorcycle in Nice reminded to ask you about this.

About a week ago, I watched most of the movie “Kings Go Forth” on some cable TV channel.  I started watching it because I know that it was written by Joe David Brown who was in the 460th during the invasion of Southern France.  The movie stars Frank Sinatra and Tony Curtis as two soldiers fighting in the mountains north of Nice during WWII.  (The scenes in the picture certainly look like the areas around Sospel that we visited this summer, although I did not recognize any specific location.)  What seemed funny to me was that the soldiers would fight for a couple of days in the mountains, hunkering down in broken down bunkers with German artillery shells being dropped all around them.  Then they would take a break and go into Nice to hang out at clubs with the local girls.  Then back to the mountains to get shelled again.

It seemed kind of silly to me that you guys would get weekends off during the fighting to put on your dress uniforms, borrow a jeep, and go clubbing on the Riviera.  So it was interesting to hear that that was exactly how Darrell Egner passed his time between battles.   See: http://www.517prct.org/photos/egner.htm

Kings Go Forth movie info:  http://www.mgm.com/title_title.php?title_star=KINGSGOF

Movie Trailer:  http://www.flixster.com/movie/kings-go-forth-videos

Wayne Cross

Ben I know I'm throwing a lot of information at you the last several days, so please use your own discretion as to how you distribute it.  When I put the timeline together of the battles of Soy-Hotton, Manhay and then Hunnage it is almost inconceivable that the Regiment was thrown into the Huertgen Forrest in a diversionary attack on Bergstein on February 4th 1945.  I correlate these actions against the casualty reports for Dec 1944 through January 1945 and see that the Regiment had been bleed white and had lost a significant number of it's leadership..  My Grandfather, Col. Thomas J. Cross, commanded the 121st Infantry Regiment of the 8th Division during the bloody fighting in the Huertgen in November and December of 1944.  The 121st won a Presidential Unit Citation for the capture of the town of Huertgen and the battles for Kleinhau and Schmidt  at great sacrifice.  My Grandfather knew only too well what was being asked of the 517th and I believe he offered his opinion to Col. Graves that the cost would be terrible.  What follows is an incredibly honest account of the attack by Captain Gohmert who I believe was the 517th  Regimental Communications Officer.  I would be very interested in getting Howard's opinion on this Monograph and the attack on Bergstein.

https://www.infantry.army.mil/monographs/content/wwii/STUP2/GohmertRolandL.%20CPT.pdf

Michael Wells
Ben:
On Mail Call #1920, you note that Brad Stewart wrote Leo Dean requesting information about Stewart's Father, Mark Stewart, a Lt. with H. Co.

Found a few entries for Mark A. Stewart, 1st Lt., H Co.  Please note that a Mark A. Stewart, 1st Lt., SIGNED the Morning Report on March 2, 1945 while in Joigny, France. Perhaps these entries are for Brad Stewart's father.

I copied the entries to this email but am also attaching a Excel Spreadsheet with the information, in case the copied entries don't make it through in the same format as I sent them.

Mike Wells

Company Status Last Name First Name MI Rank Date Code ASN MOS Location Notes Weather Moral Signed By
H Stewart Mark  A 1st Lt 21-Nov-1944 0-412196 La Colle, France  431786 Reld fr asgd as Asst Plat ldr princ dy & asgd princ dy as Plat ldr E. H. Schofield, CMO, USA
H Stewart Mark  A 1st Lt 7-Jan-1945 0-412196 1510-9 Bergeval, Belgium  570.966 princ duty changed from 1510-9 to 1510-8 as of 26 Dec 44 Martin J. Fastaia, Capt
H LWA Stewart Mark  A 1st Lt 8-Feb-1945 AG 0-412196 1510-9 Vergstein, Germany  324-077 fr duty to abs sk hosp LWA BC as of 7 Feb 45.  basic status changed fr asgd to atchd unasgd as of          7 Feb 45. Martin J. Fastaia, Capt
H Stewart  Mark  A 1st Lt 2-Mar-1945 AG 0-412176 1510-8 Joigny, France   767 406 Fr Abs SK DS hosp NBC Bcto dy as of 1 Mar 45  Basic status changed fr unasgd to asgd Mark A. Stewart, 1st Lt