From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 3:35 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; wrestlerncaa@yahoo.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1955 - 517TH PRCT - JANUARY 09,2010

 http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,

I just took the "red eye" plane from California  to Boston and have yet to recover and so may go out on a limb on my thoughts about a 2010 National Reunion.

The Auxiliary is willing to take responsibility and that is as it should be and Michael Wells seems to be the man  who is willing to tackle the job.

However, Although I will if possible attend a reunion in Atlanta, Georgia, I have doubts if it should be held there because I fear that it will just be  another East Coast Mini.

I believe that future reunion if possible be held in the center of the country and in such locations as St. Louis and Kansas City. I prefer Kansas city for two reasons: First It is in the center and second and most important reason it that it is close to the home of our only remaining Battalion Commander. A man (call me Dick ) who we  all love and admire. General Richard Seitz is our leader and his leadership  keeps the 517th PRCT active.

I will try to send out another Mail Call later today.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Floyd A. Stott, I Company bio

Gen. Frederick and Col. Graves

NY Times Newspaper clippings, 1945-46

To the Ardennes - Life magazine photo, 1944

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Battalion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road

                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00    More information Mail Call No 1916

Tom Reber
Dear Ben,

Just to add a little more to the Bob Dole trivia challenge...my father and Col. Boyle were both in Percy Jones Hospital (Battle Creek, MI) with Bob Dole.  I know my father thought very highly of both Col. Boyle and Lt. Dole.

I hope everyone is well.

Best regards,

Tom Reber
son of Lt. Bob Reber HQ 3rd

Helen Beddow

Happy New Year's Greetings to all of our 517th guys and their families!  I should also include a very belated Merry Christmas to all.

I am glad to see the list of people that will be attending the Mini next week.  I know that the McMorrow's are arriving on Friday....is there anyone else that will arriving on Friday?  Hal and I are going down on Thursday in order to help Lelia on Friday.  We are having very cold weather this week, and I hope that the Florida weather will not be a repeat of last year.  Even if it is cold, we will have a fantastic time just being together with everyone.

Regarding a chaperon for Leo and Hal and the skydiving adventure........what can I say, but pray.
Lud Gibbons

Lud to KJ Barrett:

Still think Ben set an all-time record on number of family members he brought on our trip to Europe.

Tell all those kids of yours to start behaving themselves and stop acting like kids!! (It was a great trip and they sure added a lot to it!)

Best Regards,

Lud

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben and 517th friends.
                 Happy New Year to everyone! I haven't heard anything about Merle Travers for awhile and wondered how is he doing? I recently had three injections of synvisc in my right knee and it seems to be helping with the pain for now. My cartilage is almost gone. Synvisc is made from rooster combs from what I understand and very expensive but what isn't. I'm glad the government hasn't messed up my insurance yet! I hope everyone's new year is better then the last!

Rick Sweet

Patrick O'Donnell

All,

Happy New Year.

A few updates:

THEY DARED RETURN, my sixth book, and what some critics are calling: "A true-line companion to Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds," is turning out to be one of my best reviewed books.  Enclosed are a few reviews along with broadcasts on NPR and C-SPAN.

Simon & Schuster UK is publishing the overseas version, and the book is a MAIN SELECTION of the History Book Club and Military Book Club.

Additionally, Simon & Schuster is re-releasing, in hardcover, (effectively a new book) INTO THE RISING SUN tying into the new HBO mini-series, on the Pacific War, airing in March.

Last night I had a signing and discussion at the Army Navy Club, and C-SPAN taped the event.  The show will air in a few weeks.

Meanwhile, I’m writing away on my next project: “Give Me Tomorrow,” a "USMC Band of Brothers” and one of the great untold stories of the Korean War.

Best wishes,

Patrick O’Donnell

Combat Historian

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/They-Dared-Return/Patrick-K-ODonnell/e/9780306818004/?itm=1&USRI=They+Dared+Return

www.thedaredreturn.com

www.brennerassignment.com

C-SPAN

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/id/215681

Publishers Weekly, 12/7/09

“A true-life companion to Quentin Tarantino’s recent pulp-grade wish-fulfillment WWII movie Inglorious Basterds…Quick-paced and immediate, with many satisfying moments.”

History In Review, 11/16/09
They Dared Return cries out to be made into a movie. It has everything that makes a Hollywood blockbuster—unforgettable heroes, a dastardly enemy, lots of action, and even a little romance. Most important, it is a true story that you'll remember for the rest of your life!...A must read for anyone with an interest in Jewish history, World War II, or espionage. It will also enthrall anyone with a liking for espionage thrillers. O'Donnell writes with the skill of a novelist, and his narrative style of writing draws you into the story and never lets you go, while at the same time authenticating his information to the satisfaction of scholars and general readers alike who demand historical accuracy…The most riveting history book that I've ever read! Whether you are a fan of popular histories, or espionage thrillers, give this book a read, I think that you'll agree that it is a ripping good read that is both edifying and entertaining.”

America in WWII,
2/1/10
“This chronicle of Jewish warriors returning to Germany to defend their adopted country and to extract revenge for the murders of their families is a story of courage, fortitude, and high adventure. O’Donnell, the author of We Were One, one of the very best Iraq War books, tells this tale with verve, clarity, and insight.”

Bookgasm.com, 12/7/09
“O’Donnell shines a light on five men who were the real deal…Fred Mayer…comes off not only incredibly likable, but probably one of the unsung heroes of that war…He seems like the stuff of men’s adventure fiction, except being all true…His exploits would make some truly gripping movies…This book is a testament to these men who, after escaping Germany, went right back in to fight for their new adopted country, with no regard for their own safety. O’Donnell once again has taken real history and made it so much readable than most fiction.”

WETA.org, 5/5/09
“That book will be not only fascinating, but an important contribution to our understanding of World War II.”

Kirkus, 9/15
“These were no ‘inglourious basterds’ whose stories O’Donnell tells, no avengers focused on sanguinary retribution…The agents’ courage, skill, persistence, modesty and devotion soar…An important story, thoroughly…told.”

World War II Forums, 9/20
“Compelling…A wonderful addition to the recent burst of scholarship surrounding Southern Europe during World War II…Any reader of O’Donnell’s cannot help but feel that all of his histories are ready to be made into films, and readers can only hope that Hollywood pays heed to that call. They Dared Return will engage novice and expert students of World War II alike. It is a fine book.”

Publishers Weekly, 9/28
“[O’Donnell] fleshes out the tale of sacrifice, spies, courage and betrayal organized by the American Office of Strategic Services to take on Gestapo troops in a heavily fortified district, Alpine Redoubt…Armed with research in the National Archives, confidential documents and personal interviews, O'Donnell tells a heart-stopping tale of sabotage by men and women who placed everything on the line against a seemingly unstoppable tyranny.”

Veterans Reporter (Southern Nevada Issue), September
“This book is yet another side of WWII, and a segment of the war that has not been fully explored heretofore.”

Washington Jewish Week,10/7
“Readers, especially Jewish readers, will derive great satisfaction from the feats of the Jewish soldiers.”

Blogcritics.org, 10/11
“[A] riveting history of the planning and the execution of the behind-enemy-lines covert action codenamed Operation Greenup. One of the striking things about They Dared Return is that reads like so much like a thriller…History's twists and turns come alive thanks to O'Donnell's feel for the dramatic…They Dared Return is first-rate reading that captures the action and the drama of war in the shadows. Unlike film and spy novel fantasies, this is the real deal, popular history at its best.”

Augusta Metro Spirit, 11/4/09
“O’Donnell’s treatment of this story is detailed, rich and oriented to understanding the complexities of the times…Reads like a well-orchestrated novel.”

Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles, 11/25/09
“Tells one of the great untold stories of World War II…As exciting and exotic as any Hollywood movie, but They Dared Return is solidly rooted in the facts…The courageous deeds of Mayer and his fellow fighters are narrated with all the suspense of a Len Deighton novel.”

Collected Miscellany, 12/1/09
“O’Donnell explores one of the most intriguing stories out of World War II…A gripping story…Well-researched and supported by materials from the National Archives, confidential documents, and personal interviews. The book is a fine tribute to a group of men and women who risked their lives to stop one of the cruelest regimes in modern history.”

InfoDad blog, 12/3/09
“Filled with narrow escapes, captures, astonishing acts of ‘greatest generation’ heroism, and intricate retellings of events that were all in a day’s work for everyday heroes of the time—but seem in retrospect to be instances of astonishing bravery…They Dared Return is about what really matters to people, in time of war and afterwards…It is ultimately [Meyer’s] postwar modesty that stays with the reader as much as the hair-raising events, narrow escapes and constant dangers of the war itself.”

Lanchashire Evening Post, United Kingdom, 12/21/09

[They Dared Return] is a tale of awe-inspiring daring and heroism.....

O'Donnell, who has become an important channel for collating the personal histories of a dwindling band of Second World War veterans.

This is a story that should belong in the realms of fiction ... the fact that it is true is both breath-taking and humbling.

NPR, Scott Acton, December

You may have seen the recent Hollywood film "Inglorious Bastards" with Brad Pitt this is the real deal.

NPR

 http://www.kera.org/audio/think.php

My Favorite Radio Show, host, and friend Don Kroah

http://www.wava.net/dks/index.shtml

NPR – Faith Middleton Show

http://www.cpbn.org/program/faith-middleton-show/episode/fms-book-show