From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 1:18 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1960 - 517TH PRCT-JANUARY 25, 2010

 http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Hello,
I have much mail to catch on but it will take time to do so. I will try to include it in later Mail Calls. Especially mail from our friends overseas. I have to send this Mail Call out now.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Kenneth Goodbrake, Reg. HQ, Demo Platoon
Floyd A. Stott, I Company bio
Gen. Frederick and Col. Graves
NY Times Newspaper clippings, 1945-46
To the Ardennes - Life magazine photo, 1944
Victor Wright

Hi Ben

Hope you are well.

Do you mind if I ask you a quick question?  Can you please verify if the 517th carried standard first aid pouches on their belts, and did they have Thompson pouches?  The reason I ask is as you know our group portray the 517th here in the UK to keep the memory alive and the question is asked regularly within the group.  As far as we can see there is no pictorial evidence to say they did but I very much doubt they didn't.  Can you please help?

Regards,
Vic

Don Sliker

Tom Copsey
New Year's Best to all the Troopers and families.  For those at Kissimmee have a great time - I have yet to make one of those, will do so next year hopefully.  This year I'll be in Australia the last 2 weeks in Jan on business/pleasure.  Business part will be mixing with the Aussies, Brits, and Canucks at a Maritime conference in Sydney.  Pleasure part is doing the Australian Tennis Open (one of my 100 things to do before I ...)

Agree with Lud 100% - The Barrett Clan lent a special flavor to the trip - especially at the Sospel pub close-out!

Airborne all the way

TC

Chris Viller

Dear Ben,

I am hoping this finds you well & that you received the Watch on the Rhine Newsletter " 65th anniversary special edition ?
Please let me know anyway
& again Happy New Year to all of you.

Chris Viller

Thank you Chris.  I did received the Newsletter. I still have to thank many people for all they did for us during out trip to Belgium and France  including Liliane Boyer, Maire, Le Muy for newspapers and photos.

Matt Akers

Ben,

In regards to mail Call 1956, about the BATTLE OF THE BULGE at FORT INDIANTOWN GAP, PA it is NOT solid out! Saturday is when the pubic can come out and see what the Battle of the bulge was like. My living history group that portrays F co 517th and the 596th we will be attending this year! If any battling buzzards would like to come out YOUR more then welcome to!

My unit’s web site is http://www.battlingbuzzards.org/index.html

ATTACK!!

Matt Akers 596th AEC (Reenacted)

"NE PLUS ULTRA"
Jerry Wolford

We finally got a Mail Call today after quite a drought. Thank you Ben. I am glad the Florida mini was a success and kudos to Ms Webb for all your effort. No one can ever accuse the 517th vets and auxiliary folks of not being hands-on kinda people. It is amazing some of the things that you all can pull off. Like the last National Reunion in Salt Lake City where I made the first face to face contact with you guys. The planning and work that must be done months before such an event must be astounding. But it has never stopped this group as Claire and Helen always roll up their sleeves and get it done along with the help of others like the Barrett's, Mcmorrow's, Frice's, Darrell, Hal and Leo and the Curtis boys. Not to mention Maj. Fraser's girls just to touch the tip of the ice berg. I really enjoyed my time at the reunion in SLC this last July. And Leo you gotta quit jumping out of airplanes..... somebody let him know that the war is over.... and you guys won, L O L,  just kidding.  I'll bet his insurance underwriters would turn over in their graves if they only knew.  My hat is off to Wade Gilbert who funded the production and distribution of the long awaited video movie about the WW II history of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team, "A Cut Above".  Due to Mr Gilbert's generosity, copies were made available free of charge to all who requested them.  An act of kindness straight from the heart.  I suppose you could say that it's "family helping family".  I hope to see you guys in 2011 at Ft Benning.
                                                                                         "Nephew Of A Buzzard"

Submitted by Comments:
Name: Tim Bell