From: Benedict Barrett [ben517@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:46 PM
To: Barrett, Ben
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1968- 517TH PRCT- FEBRUARY 4,2010

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025 ,781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@gmail.com

HELLO,

Still working on learning about Gmail. Mail Call may be incomplete for awhile and some mail may have been lost.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Kenneth Goodbrake, Reg. HQ, Demo Platoon
Floyd A. Stott, I Company bio
Gen. Frederick and Col. Graves
NY Times Newspaper clippings, 1945-46
To the Ardennes - Life magazine photo, 1944

-

PAT SEITZ

Dear Professor Oldson:
          There are no words that can adequately express how much my father and I enjoyed meeting you, spending time with you and having the introduction you and Ann Marsh gave us to the Institute on WWII and the Human Experience.  I have contacted the President of the 517th, Merle Morrow, and the President of the 517th Auxiliary (the children and grandchildren of the 517th), Mike Wells, in my feeble attempt to convey the jewel you have at FSU, how much you, Ann and Joan care for your subject matter -- the men and women involved in WWII and their experiences, and how carefully you preserve the materials that you are acquiring.  I also told them of your willingness to come to a Florida mini-reunion to talk about the Institute and to encourage members of the 517th to donate their materials to your collection.  Above are the email addresses for Merle and Mike as I anticipate you will be hearing from them.  Merle has already advised me that he is sending you a copy of his book on his WWII experiences.
           Also I told my sister, Dr. Victoria Seitz, about your shared Romanian Fulbright connections to say nothing of the small world nexus of being military dependants growing up.  Above is Torie's email address as well.
           Finally, thank your for sharing your books with us.  I started with the bio of Nicolae Iorga and am looking forward to The Politics of Rite.
            In short, you and Ann made our visit to Tallahassee a wonderful, memorable adventure.  Thank you for being such magnificent hosts and for your dedication to what is very near and dear to our hearts.
            Sincerely yours,
             Pat Seitz
PS  We hope Joan Denman's surgery was successful.  We are sorry we did not have the opportunity to thank her in person for setting up our wonderful visit.

Michael W. Ammermon

I wanted to inform you that on Tuesday, February 2, 2010, my father, Walter T. Ammermon who was known as "Ike" passed away.  My father was 89 years old and he and I attended the Salt Lake City reunion together.  He loved the 517th and for years I printed and mailed to him Ben's email mail call.  My dad passed away quickly and I was there with him.  Thank you and your father for all the many years of service and joy your mail call brought to my dad.

Sincerely,

Michael W. Ammermon

MARK LANDERTH

Ben - Do you know if there's a listing on the website (or elsewhere) of all the locations in Europe where a monument or memorial to the 517th, or its component units, might be located? I think such a list might be useful to those of us who plan to make a trip and would like to see where the 517th fought. Let me know. Thanks! mark